Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electrician Advice needed

Hi Guys and Girls, I am struggling and need advice and hoping a few of you can give me some. After I left university (with a degree I have never used) my working has been well thought out, I started as a Data Engineer Working with Cat 5, Cat 6 Data Cable and Fibre Cable, installing, terminating, testing and fault fixing. I had my daughter and needed a family home with my then girlfriend so wanted the security of a permanent position rather the self employed. I moved into a Data Centre Operations Role that involved what i had previosly been doing i.e. structured cabling, but also the instalation and support of servers and switches within a Data Centre environment. I did this for a few years and the opportunity arose to ditch the physical element altogether and take on a network engineer role supporting networks across the country for an IT services company, I have been in this role now for 18 months.

In February I had a health issue which had me hospitalised for 10 days various tests including lumber puncture, CAT scans, MRI scans, nerve conductions tests you name it I had it, I was treated to the works. They ruled out (thankfully) MS and other health issues they were concerned with. I was diagnosed with an Hemiplegic Migraine, a Migraine that affects my whole body in more ways than i can explain (but i dont have a headache...crazy i know). One of the cause they say may contribute to is is the stress im putting on my body over the past 4 years working a shift pattern of 5 days, 5 off, 5 nights, 5 off etc 12 hours either 7am - 7pm or 7pm - 7am. Being only 26 and having this issue and the state i was in at times my body mimicing a stroke was frightening, has made me re-evaluate not only my life style but my working life. Doctors have told me to look for a new line of work or if my company can have me working only days which they have for the time being, been willing to do. I am currently starting my phased return to work, Ive began looking for potential new employment because I know the data centre enviroment that is where i have based my searches. During these searches I have noticed that a number of DC jobs are now asking for Electrical knowledge or qualifications not all but some. which has got me thinking about the possibility of taking on becoming an electrician in my own time alongside my work. When I was at school I wanted a trade it wasnt until I was talked out of it by a teacher, who pushed me towards Alevels and a Degree.

Anyway, back on subject. I looked on the internet and came across Trades Gateway a home learning company that allow you to do the theory at home with videos, online modules and various other training techniques. Along with practical assessment at their training centres which would allow me to gain the following;

Domestic Electrical Installern (level 2)

Industry Certification in Essential Electrics
BPEC* – Part P Defined Scope
City & Guilds 2377 – In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment
City & Guilds 2382 – 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations
BPEC* – Part P Full Scope
City & Guilds 2357 Level 3 Diploma (Units 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6) in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment

Full Scope Electrician (level 3)

Part P – Defined Scope
Part P – Full Scope
City & Guilds 2357 Level 3 Diploma (Units 2, 7, 8 & 9) in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment
City & Guilds 2392 – Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification
City & Guilds 2394 and 2395 – Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Verification of Electrical Installations

Any help or advice on the above would be appreciated is this worth doing? Is there modules missing that I would need to do on top etc?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Ashdown,

Sorry to hear about your health problems, I wish you all the best for the future.

As for the course I would say go for it if it suits your lifestyle which clearly it does. The only negative I would put in is that potential employers will be looking for practical experience more than the fact you have passed all your exams.

Sadly due to the economic climate most employers do not have the time or the resources to employ people that cannot hit the ground running on their first day and to do that you must be able to go off with your tools and crack on.

It might pay you to speak to some companies or agencies and tell them the truth about the course and your plans and see what sort of responses you get.

Good luck in whatever you do.

• Options
    Have a look on here

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/

Few mizogs but generally they're a good bunch. I'll warn you. Using videos and books for practical training will be seen as blasphemy to many in the trade.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    That name doesn't ring a bell but some while ago I believe there was a thread on here started by someone who was doing a trades course and got taken to the cleaners.

I suppose the message is be careful, check not just the reviews from previous clients but also the financials.

If I remember the details of the other thread I'll be back with a link it made for interesting reading.
  • Options
    Ashdown said:

Hi Guys and Girls, I am struggling and need advice and hoping a few of you can give me some. After I left university (with a degree I have never used) my working has been well thought out, I started as a Data Engineer Working with Cat 5, Cat 6 Data Cable and Fibre Cable, installing, terminating, testing and fault fixing. I had my daughter and needed a family home with my then girlfriend so wanted the security of a permanent position rather the self employed. I moved into a Data Centre Operations Role that involved what i had previosly been doing i.e. structured cabling, but also the instalation and support of servers and switches within a Data Centre environment. I did this for a few years and the opportunity arose to ditch the physical element altogether and take on a network engineer role supporting networks across the country for an IT services company, I have been in this role now for 18 months.

In February I had a health issue which had me hospitalised for 10 days various tests including lumber puncture, CAT scans, MRI scans, nerve conductions tests you name it I had it, I was treated to the works. They ruled out (thankfully) MS and other health issues they were concerned with. I was diagnosed with an Hemiplegic Migraine, a Migraine that affects my whole body in more ways than i can explain (but i dont have a headache...crazy i know). One of the cause they say may contribute to is is the stress im putting on my body over the past 4 years working a shift pattern of 5 days, 5 off, 5 nights, 5 off etc 12 hours either 7am - 7pm or 7pm - 7am. Being only 26 and having this issue and the state i was in at times my body mimicing a stroke was frightening, has made me re-evaluate not only my life style but my working life. Doctors have told me to look for a new line of work or if my company can have me working only days which they have for the time being, been willing to do. I am currently starting my phased return to work, Ive began looking for potential new employment because I know the data centre enviroment that is where i have based my searches. During these searches I have noticed that a number of DC jobs are now asking for Electrical knowledge or qualifications not all but some. which has got me thinking about the possibility of taking on becoming an electrician in my own time alongside my work. When I was at school I wanted a trade it wasnt until I was talked out of it by a teacher, who pushed me towards Alevels and a Degree.

Anyway, back on subject. I looked on the internet and came across Trades Gateway a home learning company that allow you to do the theory at home with videos, online modules and various other training techniques. Along with practical assessment at their training centres which would allow me to gain the following;

Domestic Electrical Installern (level 2)

BPEC* – Part P Defined Scope
    BPEC* – Part P Full Scope
    City & Guilds 2357 Level 3 Diploma (Units 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6) in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment

Full Scope Electrician (level 3)

Part P – Defined Scope
    Part P – Full Scope
    City & Guilds 2357 Level 3 Diploma (Units 2, 7, 8 & 9) in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment
    City & Guilds 2392 – Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification
    City & Guilds 2394 and 2395 – Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Verification of Electrical Installations

Any help or advice on the above would be appreciated is this worth doing? Is there modules missing that I would need to do on top etc?

Just out of interest @Ashdown - how much are those courses? Might be relevant for a mate of mine.

Good luck with the job quest. You'd be amazed at the number of numpties there are out there installing! We have an inspection service and check 1st and 2nd fix and there are some shockers out there. If you are half decent it's good wedge

• Options
    @Ashdown - what, or is there any timescale for undertaking all of that knowledge? (That, if done correctly can be quite a bit of info to digest and remember)
  • Options
    I've not long come out of my time as an apprentice, qualified now. Out of interest how long do these courses last? My apprenticeship was 4 years. Which included 3 years day release to a college.

I don't know your financial state but on site experience is vital if you want to get into the field (you're playing with people's lives here, electricity kills), if you can afford to it may be worth trying to get on a company as an electricians mate, or even doing an apprenticeship, it will be a drop in wages (until qualified) but I think for adult learners they' actually pay quite good rates, it's just finding s company to take you on. It may be worth getting in contact with a company called JTL who run most electrical apprenticeships.

Good luck, hope you get sorted
  • Options
    Hi Ashdown, I suffered from exactly the same hemiplegic migraines as you, spent 3 days in hospital and had the same tests, it was back when I was 17 and the doctors eventually put it down to stress (I know what's a 17 year old got to be stressed about). The migraines carried on for another 6 months or so but I haven't had them that bad again since so you never know it could be something that phases out of your life again with any luck. It was a scary feeling waking up unable to talk, read, and parts of your own body feeling alien, probably more scary for my parents who I couldn't communicate with. There's still hope that your migraines will disappear like mine so don't do anything to drastic if you don't need to.

Perhaps you could have a chat with your existing employers and see if they can change the shift patterns for you?

Whatever you decide I hope your health improves and all works out for you.
  • Options
    I don't know enough about the electrical trade to comment in any detail, but I've read a few horror stories about profit seeking 'training providers' out there who will give the impression in their adverts that you will end up a fully qualified (whatever) but their course is only the equivalent of getting you through the driving theory test without ever letting you anywhere near a car.

As I say, I can't tell if this is that sort of thing or not. Although I would question the idea of learning a practical trade without any practical training...

I'm fairly sure that local colleges used to do full /part time courses in this sort of line. I'm a bit out of touch, but may be worth seeing what's around in your area.

Also may be worth researching what can be done via apprenticeships - don't think these are restricted to school leavers like they used to be, but probably not a lot of money on offer.

may be worth a look at national careers service website (gov't funded) - it's not like the old 'careers service' that was just there for school leavers and they do have centres you can drop in and talk (not sure how many sessions you get.)

Best of luck either way, both with health and work directions.
  • Options
    Hi All, Sorry I have not been logged on since I last posted.

Thank you for your kind words and advice, this is one option i have explored. They have quoted me 4k for level 2 and 7k for the two levels combined spread over monthly installments and have said that the time it would take for me to pass would be down to how much time and effort I put in to it. On average it takes 2 to 2 1/2 years to pass the combined course. This is something I am looking into to work alongside my current employment. I have looked at my local colleges and their part time courses are ran across a few nights a week that unfortunately does not benefit me as I work shift and work nights myself.

At the moment I am not looking for a complete career change with it (i.e. you wont be seeing Ashdown Electrical anytime soon) it was more for the career advancement within my current role/ Data Centre environment I was looking into. although that door would be always open, many years down the line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a sparky with 25 years experience I would say if you learnt at home with no site experience then the second you got a job you,d be way out of your depth.

I learnt very little of practical use at college , all my learning was (and still continues to be) done whilst at work.
  • Options
    @buckshee forgetting the the course provider and how i get hold of the qualification. As a sparky looking at the course content is what they are offering a good selection? with in my previous line of work City&Guilds references mean not alot to me.
  • Options
    Probably asking the wrong person I'm afraid. They have changed the quals twice since I did them. What I would say is that pretty much every company seems to want sparks to also be qualified testers with city and guilds 2394/95 as well as standard sparky qualifications.