Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2016 - Wish you were beer

Comments

• Options
    Quarter final

Poland (Lech) v Czech Republic (Pilsner Urquell)
    A drop in performance for both these teams - Lech is paler, fizzier and blander than Tyskie, I wasn't impressed at all.
    In contrast I like Pilsner Urquell - it's not as nice as the black lager, but it's a nice beer, easy drinking with a bit of honey in there yet a little bit of bitterness too.
    Winner: Czech Republic (Pilsner Urquell)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Quarter final
    Iceland (Einstok White Beer) v Wales (Tiny Rebel Cwtch)
    It's been an impressive tournament for Iceland so far, they've been overachieving massively for a small nation with their lovely Toasted Porter. Sadly, the lack of squad size has caught up with them here - the White Beer is not in the same league. It pours a cloudy lemonade colour and tastes the same in a radler type beer - weak. Also has a herby/coriander taste in there, a little like Hogaarden - it's very, very easy to drink but it's a boring beer.

In contrast, the Cwtch is lovely - I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm a big fan of red ales and this is the nicest I've had in a while - it's got both sweetness and a spiciness in there and they compliment each other rather than rub up against each other. There's a hint of raisins or fruit in there too, and it's very smooth and easy to drink. Great beer.
    Winner: Wales (Tiny Rebel Cwtch)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Belgium v Germany will follow tomorrow but as I've had the English beer and the Swiss is remaining the same, and it won't mess up the order....

Quarter Final
    Switzerland (1936 Biere) v England (Beavertown Smog Rocket Porter)
    The Swiss have stayed consistent here (as I had enough trouble finding a first beer from Switzerland!) and I've been impressed throughout - it's a very clean, crisp, tasty lager which I'd be very happy drinking all evening on a night out.
    I think they would have had enough to beat England's previous efforts but England have upped their game this round - the Porter is very good. Perhaps a notch under the Icelandic effort seen elsewhere in the tournament but it's a close run thing - smooth, more chocolate and less coffee than the Einstok but both still very much there, and the smokiness is pitched just right.
    Winner: England (Beavertown Smog Rocket Porter)
  • Options
    Quarter final
    Belgium (Trappistes Rochefort 8) v Germany (Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell)

Two suberb beers that could easy have been the final, they are unfortunate to meet so early.
    The Rochefort 8 has so much going on - a sort of fruit cakeyness in the fact it has fruit, raisins, some sort of spice and also some brown/dark sugar, but it's very smooth with it. For me it's not as good as the St Bernardus Abt 12 - it feels slightly thinner and yet doesn't hide the alcohol as well as the 12. Still a fantastic beer though.
    The Augustiner by contrast is better than the previous Hacker Pschorr - in fact I think it could be the best lager I have ever had. It's so crisp and yet has a nice maltiness in there, it's pretty sweet but somehow not oversweet and repeats the same trick with the fizziness. Lovely flavour, I honestly can't recommend it enough.
    Two beers I would recommend but in a shock, the favourites are out!
    Winner: Germany (Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell)
  • Options
    The thing is until someone (ahem) suggested changing the beers for the Quarters, Belgium had this sewn up - would have beaten Iceland in the final I think.

In fact, that change meant wins for Wales, England and Germany where I think the first beers would have been Iceland, Switzerland and Belgium.

Only Czech Republic went through whatever.

Glad you did suggest it though, I've tried some brilliant beers the last 3 days as a result!
  • Options
    No regrets. It was the right thing to do. And I'll try that German beer. It does sound great.
  • Options
    Semi final

Czech Republic (Pivovar Herold Black Lager and Pilsner Urquell) v Wales (Brains SA Gold and Tiny Rebel Cwtch)

The Czechs start this one strongly as the Herold's experience (510 years of brewing to be precise) allows them to settle any nerves, and they go into half time ahead - the black lager is one of the most interesting beers in the whole competition and the lager/porter hybrid proves better than the Brains, though it's a good beer and easy to drink in its own right.
    However, the Czechs can't maintain that level with the Pilsner Urquell, nice though it is. Wales come back strongly and take a stranglehold cwtchhold on the game through the excellent red ale, and against expectations they nick a late winner.
    Winner: Wales
  • Options
    Semi final

Germany (Hacker Pschorr Anno 1417 Keller Bier and Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell) v England (Wychwood Ruby Rooster and Beavertown Smog Rocket Porter)

Fresh from its shock win over Belgium, the Augustiner is clearly the best player here, but England will be hoping their teamwork can see them through.
    However straight away they go behind - the Ruby Rooster is a decent beer, nice flavours and carbonation, but it's not as good as the old head of the 600 year old Kellerbier.
    It's a valiant effort for England after the break through the tasty smoky porter, but the star man in the Augustiner extends the lead, and England feel the familiar sting of a semi-final defeat to Germany.
    Winner: Germany
  • Options
    Disappointed with the England result. Smog rocket is probably the best tinned beer I've ever had and Wychwood one of my favourite breweries.

Sterling work though Neil. You must have put yourself through (lagerbier) hell drinking all these beers so that we don't have to :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've been impressed with the Smog Rocket - I've had Neck Oil and Bloody Ell before and they are good beers, but the Smog Rocket is better.
  • Options
    And yes, it's been a terrible job but sometimes you just need to be selfless for the benefit of others.
  • Options
    Final preview part one:

In the red corner we have an unexpected finalist in the form of Wales. They'll be represented by Brains SA Gold and Tiny Rebel Cwtch.

Brains trace their origins back to 1882 when Samuel Arthur Brain (hence the 'SA') bought an existing brewery in Cardiff, and members of the Brain family still run it in the Welsh capital today.

In 2006 they launched the English Pale Ale style golden beer 'Brains SA Gold', described as follows:

"SA Gold is a full-flavoured, hoppy and refreshing golden ale. Careful use of hops creates a satisfying bitterness, perfectly balanced by vibrant citrus aromas and complex hop flavours from late-hopping using Cascade and Styrian Goldings."

Tiny Rebel are a much newer company, started in 2008 by two self confessed "beer geeks" home brewing in their garages in Newport, Wales, until they decided in 2010 to go full time. It took 2 more years to sort everything ready for a 2012 launch of two beers and 82,000 litres altogether that year. They have now produced over 70 different beers and nearly a million litres each year.

Amongst these is 'Cwtch', a red ale launched in May 2012, named after the Welsh word for 'cuddle', and described as "the perfect blend of six caramelly malts and three citrussy American hops". It won CAMRA's Champion Beer of Britain in 2015.

Wales's route to the final was via the SA Gold winning Group B ahead of the English, Russian and Slovakian beers and then beating Turkey's Efes Draft. The Cwtch stepped in for the quarters and saw off Iceland's Einstok White Beer, and both beers' combined efforts narrowly beat one of the favourites, the Czech Republic, in the semis.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Preview part two:

Wales opponent is the less surprising finalist - the massive beer brewing (and drinking) nation of Germany. They will be represented by the snappily monikered Hacker-Pschorr Anno 1417 Kellerbier and Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell.

The Hacker-Pschorr brewers can trace their origins back to, as the name would suggest, 1417, which makes me pretty tempted to find out if they are doing anything special over there next year for their 600 year anniversary.

The name Hacker-Pschorr itself dates back to the marriage of Teresia Hacker and Joseph Pschorr. Under the couple’s leadership, Hacker-Pschorr advanced to become Munich’s leading major brewery in the 18th century, and the opened their particularly Germanic sounding "Beer Fortress" in 1813.

Interestingly, the famous composer Strauss's mother was a Pschorr family member, and the head of the company at the time financially supported Strauss throughout his life so he could concentrate on his music.

Hacker-Pschorr brews its beer according to the Bavarian Reinheitsgebot or Beer Purity Law, one of the strictest food regulations in the world - barley, hops and water are the only ingredients allowed.

They describe their beer as "A beer with a distinctive character: earthy, bold, quaffable and yet refreshingly mild and light. Just like a real Bavarian.

Creamy and effervescent, typical of unfiltered beers, a delightful ticklish mouthfeel. Aromas of caramel, honey and plum dominate and emphasize the beer’s malty, spicy flavor. Unmistakable hints of apple and grapefruit bring in a fruity freshness."

The Augustiner-Brau has roots dating back even further, to 1328, and as such it's both Munich's oldest independent brewery and, I believe, the oldest in this competition. They now produce 126 million litres a year and as they also conform to the Bavarian Reinheitsgebot purity laws, they are one of the 6 main brewers at Oktoberfest (along with Hacker-Pschorr).

Their most popular beer is our Augustiner Helles, a pale lager that is given a prolonged secondary fermentation.

Germany's route to the final was via the Hacker-Pschorr winning a poor quality Group C ahead of Poland, Northern Ireland and Ukraine, then breezing past Slovakia. Their toughest game and biggest win came against favourites Belgium as the Augustiner-Brau narrowly scraped past Belgium's Trappistes Rochefort 8, before the Reinheitsgebot double act saw off England in the Semis.
  • Options
    Can you email me a bottle
  • Options

WINNER: GERMANY

Open-top bus is being organised in Cardiff right now.
  • Options
    Oddbins in Blackheath probably have a few of those, might investigate later today
  • Options
    Thank fuck Wales didn't win.

Enjoyed that NLN, top work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers for the thread NLN, been a good one to follow.
  • Options
    Already got to get Iran if I wanted to do the World Cup teams!
  • Options
    presume your not doing this for the world cup can see you struggling with a few saudi arabia mainly :neutral:
  • Options

presume your not doing this for the world cup can see you struggling with a few saudi arabia mainly :neutral:

Nice 0.5% number here:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/moussy-classic/6629/
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    No - I did think about it but as much as I would love to, a) I'm skint and it soon adds up, and b) I agree it'd be a lot harder with the Middle East countries etc.
  • Options
    friday at work so had a go have only added ones ive personally drunk;

russia -
    saudi arabia -
    egypt -
    uruguay -
    portugal - sagres
    spain - cruzcampo
    morocco -
    iran -
    france - kronenbourg orignial
    australia - little creatures
    peru -
    denmark -
    argentina - quilmes
    iceland -
    croatia -
    nigeria - guiness foreign extra
    brazil - brahma
    switzerland -
    costa rica -
    serbia -
    germany - paulaner munchener hell
    mexico - modelo dark
    sweden - kopperberg ( aware this is cider )
    south korea -
    belgium - duvel
    england - carling
    panama -
    tunisia -
    poland - tyskie
    senegal -
    columbia -
    japan - asahi
  • Options

russia -
    saudi arabia -
    egypt -
    uruguay -
    portugal - sagres
    spain - cruzcampo
    morocco -
    iran -
    peru -
    denmark -
    argentina - quilmes
    iceland -
    croatia -
    brazil - brahma
    switzerland -
    costa rica -
    serbia -
    mexico - modelo dark
    south korea -
    belgium - duvel
    england - carling
    panama -
    tunisia -
    poland - tyskie
    senegal -
    columbia -
    japan - asahi

You must have had a Carlsberg at some point?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

russia -
    saudi arabia -
    egypt -
    uruguay -
    portugal - sagres
    spain - cruzcampo
    morocco -
    iran -
    peru -
    denmark -
    argentina - quilmes
    iceland -
    croatia -
    brazil - brahma
    switzerland -
    costa rica -
    serbia -
    mexico - modelo dark
    south korea -
    belgium - duvel
    england - carling
    panama -
    tunisia -
    poland - tyskie
    senegal -
    columbia -
    japan - asahi

You must have had a Carlsberg at some point?
    of course it used to be 99p in the wrongun on a thursday night.
  • Options
    Think I fucked this up from the start.

Will try again.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!