Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2016 - Wish you were beer

Comments

• Or give these guys (or similar) a call to see if they can help out:

http://www.fluidlondon.co.uk/venue/west_end/cafe_koha_wc2n
  • I'll give it a go!
  • Good idea, I'll give it a go!
  • Think I'm home! Found https://halusky.co.uk for Slovakia, and amazingly a guy who recently went to Albania and got some beers has offered to send me one for free after I asked him if I could buy one!
  • That is a fantastic achievement, we'll done. I raise my glass to you, sir. When you first posted I thought I'd like to do it, but poo-pooed the idea as it all seemed a little too hurried. I'm we'll impressed that you sorted it out in that time.

I'm going to keep the idea for the next World Cup. In fact, what I might do is invite some friends around and have it as a knockout beer competition. Each beer goes head to head against the beer from another country in a blind taste testing until we can present the Beer World Cup.
  • edited June 2016
    Stig said:

That is a fantastic achievement, we'll done. I raise my glass to you, sir. When you first posted I thought I'd like to do it, but poo-pooed the idea as it all seemed a little too hurried. I'm we'll impressed that you sorted it out in that time.

I'm going to keep the idea for the next World Cup. In fact, what I might do is invite some friends around and have it as a knockout beer competition. Each beer goes head to head against the beer from another country in a blind taste testing until we can present the Beer World Cup.

Yeah I wasn't confident either to be honest! Thanks.

Waiting for a couple of deliveries, but can then get tasting, will put up a few verdicts if anyone is interested?

I'm considering a beer wallchart, I'll be honest.

I think the World Cup will be even more of a challenge with some of the African countries etc.
  • http://www.beerhawk.co.uk/dekoninck-blond

De Koninck is a very refreshing amber Belgium Beer about 5%. That would make a good tournament drink. From Antwerp.

Duvel has some sediment in the bottom of the beer and you have to pour carefully to make sure that you don;t catch the sediment in the bottle. You need to let the Duvel bottle to settle before drinking. Its a strong beer about 8% and a few of those will get you well along the way pretty quickly
  • What I drank during Belgium - Italy :

Taras Boulba Blonde : a citrus smelling blond
    Vossen met de mijne (Flemish Brewery - translated: Chagging with the missus) the blond variant called "soixante neuf" (69 in French)
    Paljas blond
  • Is the label on the left a cartoon represention of Roland and Charlton?
  • edited June 2016

Is the label on the left a cartoon represention of Roland and Charlton?

Could be : the bloke on the left shouts "bastard" to the one with the top hat :smile:

And for the beer on the right : "Paljas" could be translated as "wanker":wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• We have all 24!

Probably teaching granny about egg sucking, but check the drink-by dates

• We have all 24!

Probably teaching granny about egg sucking, but check the drink-by dates

Haha, will do - they are all getting drunk before July 10th though.

I've started with Group A tonight - Romania.

It's not the best!
  • Ha quality initiative Neil

As always, Switzerland under-represented :(

Try Calanda - crisp lager sold on draught in most pubs and restaurants.

Hell Quollfrisch - Appenzeller beer, lovely lager

Feldschlossen Dunkle Perle - mainstream darker brew, thought I'd give u a non-lager option

Schneider Weiss - Leffe style "weiss" beer

God knows how to source them from UK

HOPP Schwiiz (that's the common term they use for their football team, means come on Switzerland, but considering the thread is about beer I thought it quite appropriate (hoppy!)

• Sorry @calydon_road but Schneider Weisse is German.

Falken Eidgenoss is a Swiss beer. It's brewed with honey.
  • Had the Swiss beer, 1936 Biere, tonight actually - it was the only one I couod find over here! Good lager though.

Group A

Group winner: Switzerland (1936 Biere)

A very easy to drink lager - very crisp and refreshing, not too strong or fizzy. Reminded me of Curious Brew for those who've had that, though it's not quite as good. A clear group winner though, so should also get a decent draw in the Last 16.

Runners-Up: France (Kronenbourg 1664)

As expected, solid but unspectacular - quite Pilsnery, a bit too fizzy, but smooth enough and pretty drinkable. Extra kudos for having the Palace hooligan kung fu kicking hero that is Cantona on the label.

Not entirely convincing, but through.

Third: Romania (Ursus Blonde)
    Not great but drinkable. A little bit chemically.
    Think it'll struggle for a best third place spot, but we shall see.

Bottom place: Albania (Birra Tirana)
    I'm just very pleased this one made it, it did well to even be here.
    But it's got a weird salty metalic taste so ended up going home disappointed.
  • Group B

Group Winner: Wales (Brains SA Gold)

A very summery ale, light and almost slightly lager-like. Quite citrusy. Very easy drinking - nice beer.

Runner-up: England (Wychwood Ruby Rooster)

Must confess here I'm a big fan of red ales so it stood a good chance, but it's a decent example of it - quite dark, coppery colour, and quite sweet, sort of caramelly.

Third - Slovakia (Zlaty Bazant)

A nice surprise - I was (perhaps harshly) expecting another slightly poor Eurofizz type like Romania and Albania, bit it's a very drinkable pilsner type beer. A strong third, think it should go through.

Bottom place - Russia (Baltika 7)

It had a ring pull top and made a good popping sound when opening it - big fan of that, no frustration at not being able to find a bottle opener.
    The beer was ok, pretty light and easy to drink but a bit boring. Bit unlucky to be in a half decent group.
  • The competition hasn't quite got into its stride yet though!
  • Good to see Zlaty Bazant has a chance to go through. I enjoyed it whilst I was in Bratislava.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2016
    So after the fuss of some referendum or other, we're back to the important Euro vote.

Group C

Group Winner: Germany (Hacker Pschorr Anno 1417 Munich Keller Bier)

No surprises here, the Germans cruise the group. It's a cloudy blonde beer, bit of honey in both the colour and the flavour, and a bit fruity.
    Nicely fizzy, not too much, so it goes down very easily for a cloudy beer. Very nice.

Runner-up: Poland (Tyskie)
    The fact it's pretty cheap and popular makes you think it's going to be at the pretty boring and bland Carling/Fosters end of the scale, but it's a lot nicer than that - less fizzy, a decent level of sweetness and pretty crisp.
    Solid.

Third place: Northern Ireland (Boundary American Pale Ale)
    A really weird one.
    I got an odd look from my wife drinking this one because I went from saying it was nice to "oh... no, it's not" in about 5 seconds - it's got a really odd little aftertaste that I can best describe as tasting like sweaty feet smell like. It's only very brief but it's every sip, so that this beer is like being given a nice drink but then having to lick a gym sock afterwards every time.
    Shame because for the first five seconds it was very nice, smooth, a bit fruity and very tasty.

Last place: Ukraine (Obolon lager)
    It tasted like I'd been given half a lager topped up with the same amount of water. Weak, boring, and I could hardly be arsed to finish it.
    Apparently so bad that I would rather have a nice beer with the gym sock licking than drink it again.
  • edited June 2016
  • edited June 2016
    Group D

Winner: Czech Republic (Pivovar Herold Black Lager)

A clear winner - very interesting beer as it's basically a Porter that they've then 'aged' for 70 days so it takes on some lager properties like a good carbonation and crispness. A lot of black coffee in there (which I drink so I was a fan), slight smokiness or toast flavour. Really enjoyed it, thought it basically took on the best of porters and lagers to make a lovely drink.

Runner-up: Croatia (Zmajska Pivovara Porter)

A very solid porter - dark chocolate flavours, pretty smoky/ashy (on first taste almost tobacco which I didn't like but this seemed to ease off as I drank it), smooth.

Third place: Turkey (Efes Draft)

The bottle is really nice, I couldn't decide if it reminded me more of a keg, a barrel or a beehive, and it turns out the latter was pretty apt as it's tastes a lot of honey - I've got a sweet tooth so was happy with that. Very unfussy beer - light, almost slightly week but in a nice way, very easy drinking. It'll go through.

Last place: Spain (Alhambra Reserva 1925)

Again a nice bottle but slightly less impressed with the beer - It's not horrible but I'm not sure it is quite to my taste. Feels like it tried to be halfway between a posh lager and a toffee/caramelly ale but it doesn't work for me. A bit unlucky though as it would have got a third place pretty easily in a couple of groups!
  • And for anyone interested the black lager is in Lidl for £1.25 a bottle at the moment.
  • vffvff
    edited June 2016
    Did you continue for the second round games @North Lower Neil ?
  • It'll be the same beers against each other, I decided 24 beers was probably enough extra calories for about three weeks!!
  • It'll be the same beers against each other, I decided 24 beers was probably enough extra calories for about three weeks!!

Will be interested to see the results for the second round games.
  • edited June 2016
    Group E

Winner: Belgium (St Bernardus Abt 12)

Quality stuff.
    It's a dark, strong 'Quadrupel' beer - the 10% abv is definitely pretty warming, and it's got that winter sort of feel and taste about it - almost mulled tasting (cinnamon, cloves, raisins) and I could imagine it being an awesome Christmas beer.
    Nice and smooth, bit fizzy but not too much, easy enough to drink though I wouldn't have many!
    Just a very tasty beer.

Runner-up: Ireland (Guinness Original)

Less creamy than the current pub draught/extra cold versions and I like it for that - has a bit more flavour and a nice fizziness to it. There's the stout chocolate, coffee tastes but also a slight burnt sugar which again I liked. Nice stuff.

Third place: Italy (Birra Moretti)

Fourth place: Sweden (Brutal Brewing Pistonhead Kustom Lager)

I'll deal with these two together as there's not much to choose between third and fourth - both refreshing, easy drinking lagers if slightly bland. Moretti gets third as it's got a slight maltiness I liked,, whereas the Pistonhead is really very forgettable, if perfectly drinkable.
  • Any thoughts comparing St Bernardus 12 with Leffe Brown ?
  • Only had Leffe Brune once I think, couple of years ago at the Belgian Bar in Ramsgate.

Remember liking it and preferring it to the Blonde but not much else!!

The St Bernardus was a really nice beer, I'd definitely recommend it - would get it in winter though, think it would just suit a warm pub on a cold day!!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!