Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away tickets next season

I have just been speaking to someone who does some casual work down at The Valley now and then, and he tells me that only season ticket holders will be allowed to buy tickets for away games next season.

He wasn't sure of the reason (whether it was a drive to sell more season tickets or whether they were worried about games being abandoned and they would want to identify any culprits)?

I argued that that just wasn't possible due to teams like Sheffield United (where you can get an allocation of up to 5,000) being able to sell for cash on the day, but he was adamant they were bringing this rule in for the next campaign.

The thing that surprised me most about this was that he reckons this wasn't Meire's idea, it was limp wristed Tony's brainchild.

I'm yet to be convinced as I just can't see it being possible, but nothing would surprise me with how low they would stoop.

Comments

• Options
    I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable on this sort of thing, but surely common sense would dictate that home teams would want to maximise profits at this level by selling tickets on the door?
  • Options
    Doubt this is true, would surely break some law somewhere?!
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I have just been speaking to someone who does some casual work down at The Valley now and then, and he tells me that only season ticket holders will be allowed to buy tickets for away games next season.

He wasn't sure of the reason (whether it was a drive to sell more season tickets or whether they were worried about games being abandoned and they would want to identify any culprits)?

I argued that that just wasn't possible due to teams like Sheffield United (where you can get an allocation of up to 5,000) being able to sell for cash on the day, but he was adamant they were bringing this rule in for the next campaign.

The thing that surprised me most about this was that he reckons this wasn't Meire's idea, it was limp wristed Tony's brainchild.

I'm yet to be convinced as I just can't see it being possible, but nothing would surprise me with how low they would stoop.

The CEO and her lackies hate the fans. That will never change.

I'm sure this will go down really well with fans based outside of London. We have a number on here who primarily attend northern away games only.

• Options
    Sounds worryingly credible, but I think we'll probably be okay with the home clubs putting them on sale on the day.
  • Options

Doubt this is true, would surely break some law somewhere?!

It's possibly possible but will just encourage away supporters in the home stands so the police aren't going to agree to it on safety grounds.
  • Options
    RanTooFar said:

I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable on this sort of thing, but surely common sense would dictate that home teams would want to maximise profits at this level by selling tickets on the door?

Correct. And I don't think that an away club can instruct home teams not to sell on the day to their fans (unless there's a specific and valid reason). Creates a potential safety issue as well, with Charlton supporters attempting to buy tickets in home areas.
  • Options
    So what are they going to do when the full allocation isn't taken up? I'm not sure the home side will be too impressed with us dictating who can buy tickets, and thus them loosing revenue because non season tickets holders couldn't buy?
  • Options
    Is this an extract from the book "Ways to make Charlton Athletic's away following even worse than it already is" ?
  • Options

This person who did casual work at the valley - was it Roger Johnson?
    Work and Roger Johnson in the same sentence? Don't be daft!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This person who did casual work at the valley - was it Roger Johnson?
    Sounds like KM
  • Options
    Police wouldn't allow it, you'd have people travelling up anyhow to try blag home tickets/create a bit of atmosphere outside the ground and in the pubs. It would be one of the biggest own goal the Club has scored yet, and that is saying something.
  • Options
    does she think we are Man U and have over 5,000 travelling fans????. Big clubs can do this because demand outstrips supply but less than 500 we get at most Northern away games would make a complete mockery of us.
  • Options
    Couldnt police just order the Home team to ensure that tickets are only sold to their own Season Ticket holders or fans who have their own version of our RedCard?
  • Options
    Most stupid idea I've ever heard.
    I'm definitely going to Bradford next season and if I can't buy an away ticket I'll just sit in the home end.

Would just give us another reason to complain to the football league about them.
  • Options
    The way they think. Many say will go to away games only so this will stop them. Simple in their minds. Volatile in mine.
  • Options

Can't believe it to be true, but that would be classic!
  • Options
    This is my excuse reason for not going to Boundary Park.
  • Options
    away teams tend to put unsold away tickets up for general sale on the day as they want as much money as possible. especially in league 1.
    cant see this happening
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    wouldn't put it past her, but i'm sure that its bollocks as away clubs will wonder why there are only 3 people in there away end, think we should all attend away games and burn effigys of meire and roland
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Couldnt police just order the Home team to ensure that tickets are only sold to their own Season Ticket holders or fans who have their own version of our RedCard?

And completely eradicate neutral fans from any game we play in? No chance. It would be a complete mess, but one that Katrien and Cajones can't see yet, as they don't see much that is logical.
  • Options
    Unless the club simply intend to pay whoever we're playing for the missed ticket revenue.

Talk about cut your nose off to spite your face though
  • Options
    Has anyone told Ohh Ahh?
  • Options
    If that is the case, it will stuff VG.
  • Options

If that is the case, it will stuff VG.

Exactly is my biggest thought... What about Valley Gold Members who arent Season Ticket holders as they always get the first priority (Unless you cant be a VG Member and not a ST Holder)
  • Options
    majority of grounds in league 1 have away stands of 500-1000 people, ive been to blackburn when there has been less than 250 of us, northern based addicks probably made the majority of that up, so they wouldn't be able to attend under new plans. the only way they could possibly get away with it is if they could prove that our fans indulged in mass disorder at games and it was a security thing much like when millwall play away at leeds, st holders only pick tickets up at a service station sort of thing, not because some twat and his assistant from belgium want to annoy fans of a decent football club.
  • Options
    Blackmail. Trying on this nonsense cause they can't shift enough season tickets and trying to put the wind up people. Bully boy tactics.

The other clubs and police will not be impressed as it will cost them more money and manhours.

It won't work with the majority of us so stick that up your backside!

Anyone got a contact for supporters direct?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Blackmail. Trying on this nonsense cause they can't shift enough season tickets and trying to put the wind up people. Bully boy tactics.

The other clubs and police will not be impressed as it will cost them more money and manhours.

It won't work with the majority of us so stick that up your backside!

Anyone got a contact for supporters direct?

Correct. Would not surprise me at all if they were looking into it, but absolutely zero chance whatsoever this will be carried through so I really wouldn't waste any time on it.
  • Options
    No chance of that being implemented at all.
  • Options
    Bit of precedent here, although Cellino reversed his decision after 4 days so whether he could get away with it or not was never really tested. After the "rebuilding bridges" guff in the press conference, it would be truly astonishing if they did try and pull this off.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-cellino-makes-stand-on-away-tickets-1-7520628

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/joy-for-leeds-united-away-fans-as-massimo-cellino-lifts-away-ticket-cap/