Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

WHITE SWAN PUB (p.7 - Closed, just to add to the happy vibe)

Comments

• You could mention the addition of topless barmaids ?

And barmen, too (just clamouring for equality on someone like @Curb_It's behalf here).

Echo the open the upstairs bar comment on matchdays though. Can get a bit Sergio Ramos sometimes.
  • White Swan is very good.

Take down the weird royal family-type regalia (gives it the feel of a tourist trap in Greenwich) and maybe replace with SE London / Charlton specific decor and it's basically there.

And maybe remove a few tables to make a bit more room on match days.

Good luck to the new owners!
  • edited January 2019
    hawksmoor said:

Proper pub is The White Swan. Might need a tweak or two but on the whole it’s a good un

Agreed. I've started going in there rather than the Bugle Horn. Proper pub, with a good selection of beer, understated lighting and a log fire. It was packed in there after the Sunderland game. So yeah, a lot of Charlton fans in there.
    Wasn't allowed in before the Sunderland game.

Number of people already there rather than me or @Len\'s_little_girl being undesirables (I think!) which suggests a fair few football fans were there.
  • PaddyP17 said:

You could mention the addition of topless barmaids ?

And barmen, too (just clamouring for equality on someone like @Curb_It's behalf here).

Echo the open the upstairs bar comment on matchdays though. Can get a bit Sergio Ramos sometimes.
    Handsome and one of the best defenders of its generation and one of the most winningest of any generation?
  • LenGlover said:

hawksmoor said:

Proper pub is The White Swan. Might need a tweak or two but on the whole it’s a good un

Agreed. I've started going in there rather than the Bugle Horn. Proper pub, with a good selection of beer, understated lighting and a log fire. It was packed in there after the Sunderland game. So yeah, a lot of Charlton fans in there.
    Wasn't allowed in before the Sunderland game.

Number of people already there rather than me or @Len\'s_little_girl being undesirables (I think!) which suggests a fair few football fans were there.
    There's a real bottle-neck at the front bar nearest the door so I would suggest trying to ensure it's easier to get served at either side as that would help disperse the crowd of people just inside the door.
  • robroy said:

Under new management as of tonight. My mate is taking over, he was asking if many Charlton fans go in on a match day.

I have to say I have not been in there since the Prem days. Any advice on improvements needed?

I'd like to see more keg IPA's, not just marco breweries. Plenty of alternative choices out there.
  • edited January 2019
    Generally, it is good as it is, but in recent weeks it has been very busy. Last game they were so overcrowded they were only letting one in when one went out. Not sure whether this has been due to the opposition, the time of year or an increase in people using the pub - it may well not be so busy for Accrington Stanley.

Opening the upstairs bar would be a good idea as long as they still have enough staff downstairs too.

I'd rather they got rid of any chairs at the bar on match days so you can get served. Not sure why people want to sit there anyway, knowing that for the next two hours they’re going to be elbowed, get beer spilled over them and have orders shouted over the top of their own conversations.

I wouldn’t let people reserve tables for food between 12-3 on a match day (it would actually be doing them a favour when they come in, have to force a settled group out of their seats and then sit down and try to have a nice polite family dinner whilst they’re surrounded by a noisy pre-match crowd, looking thoroughly pissed off about the whole thing).

Otherwise, it is what I consider a good pub, with plenty of bar staff on and a good selection of beers and I'd be tempted to say if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it - if the new manager is thinking of doing anything drastic.
  • Big fan of the White Swan. As others have said, don't change too much but just a few tweaks to make more space on match days would be spot on.
  • robroy said:

Under new management as of tonight. My mate is taking over, he was asking if many Charlton fans go in on a match day.

I have to say I have not been in there since the Prem days. Any advice on improvements needed?

Cracking pub. I'm assuming Geoff still owns it? Hope so.

The only improvement I'd make is to have a decent pale ale on cask at all times (at all times when I'm in anyway). It does seem to focus on traditional bitters and while that's not a bad thing, a bit of variety wouldn't do any harm.
  • The last few months I’ve found it can take a while to get a drink without it being any busier.
    Match day against Walsall around 2 o’clock I counted 2 staff serving while the others were out the back or collecting glasses. Walked out in the end.
    Been going there for years and recently it’s just starting to wind me up.
    Echo the point about people sitting at the bar on match days.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ve sent him the link so he can see all these comments. He’s a top lad so will get it all sorted.

I’m into my IPA and decent Keg beer so i’ved mentioned that to him,

• It’s a very good pub, hope he doesn’t change much. Always making sure he’s maxed out with bar staff on matchdays, removing the bar stools from the pinchpoint areas for the hrs either side the game and try to utilise the outdoor space as much as possible to spread people out as much as poss would be my suggestions.
  • White swan is defo my choice of pub on match days, although my dad tends to go see his mates in the Oak recently so I normally go and meet him
  • Great pub...has been really busy last few home game. Only bug bear I have is they reserve tables for diners who are coming in at 13.00 from 12.00, so there are a few tables that are empty for an hour or so. I would prefer it if tables were not reserved, on match day.

As another member said, get rid of the stools at the bar on match days, you have to reach across people to get your beer/s and the odd drop spills on someone and you get a nasty look, plus people take up too much space especially when the football is on the television.

Great ales on offer and the bar staff work their socks off.
  • Invest in some decent outdoor heaters and echo the point of opening upstairs on match day. Might help with the congestion.

Great pub though.
  • Absolutely rammo before Sunderland. Took the decision to do a double round which proved a good move.
  • robroy said:

Your mates taking over and he doesn’t know that it’s absolutely rammed on match days this season?
  • It's ok but it's not the Rad
  • It’s a perfectly fine downhill walk to theValley and a slightly annoying stretch uphill after the game.

Could do with not running out of beer so often.

Live music and decent food are a good draw.
  • Upstairs bar will be open on Sat 19th for CAST's Q&A with Accrington owner Andy Holt. Free to attend for Trust members (or £5 To join the Trust). From 12.30.

Register here: https://eventbrite.co.uk/e/pre-match-with-accrington-owner-andy-holt-tickets-54698988146
  • Sponsored links:

• Was my favourite pre match bar when it was first re-opened, thought the beer and the food was excellent. Food has gone downhill badly, cheap meals at expensive prices. Gave up going for lunch over a year ago. Even though beer is great, staff cant handle the rush. When a pub is this busy, the staff seem to serve customers in bizarre random fashion. Also in these days of contacless, there seems to be not enough card machines.

Saying that, if its under new management, I'll give it another go. great idea about upstairs being opened.
  • So does it still have links with The Pelton or did that stop a while ago?
  • Love this pub. It's now my local and has become my regular spot before home matches. Really look forward to having a pint or two of Proper Job (which they must continue to serve at all costs!!!) before a match.

Took my wife and in-laws there last month, and they absolutely loved the food as well.
  • White Swan is very good.

Take down the weird royal family-type regalia (gives it the feel of a tourist trap in Greenwich) and maybe replace with SE London / Charlton specific decor and it's basically there.

And maybe remove a few tables to make a bit more room on match days.

Good luck to the new owners!

No! After the world cup win against Sweden, we took the cardboard cut out of the Queen and got a conga line going throughout the pub! Fond memories...
  • Might be a good idea for your mates chef and kitchen staff to have a limited menu during match day lunchtimes. Could help reduce food wait times.

Apart from that please ask them to pop on some unfined cask ales for those of us who love proper beer but aren’t fans of animal parts :wink:

Do that and they’ll earn my undying love.
  • use the swan most games i go unless im tight for time in which case will have a drink in blackheath and sack off the walk up the hill,

remove some of the tables and do away with the stools at the bar from 1pm onwards.
  • It's ok but it's not the Rad

Ben can anyone enter the rad on matchday or is it members only
  • robroy said:

Show your season ticket/match ticket and get 10% off drinks on matchdays? Also encourages people to come back up the hill after games.
  • He has this link so will have a read.

He has been a head chef himself, so I would expect the food to improve massively!
  • So does it still have links with The Pelton or did that stop a while ago?

Unclear, the question isnt being answered.