Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

WHITE SWAN PUB (p.7 - Closed, just to add to the happy vibe)

Comments

• Stewart said:

Nicholas said:

White horse is a good pub on the woolwich road. A bit run down but has a proper pub feel to it. Pool table, dart board, fruit machines and normally have an offer on one of the lagers. What more can one want :)

A private dance wouldn't go amiss.

Trust me, you wouldn't want a private dance from Nicholas.
    You never complained at our last away day sweetie
  • Ah damn, that's a shame. Was going to visit for the first time ever this evening.

Anyone got other recommendations of where to go pre match?

Horse and Groom.
  • edited March 2017
    Nicholas said:

Nicholas said:

White horse is a good pub on the woolwich road. A bit run down but has a proper pub feel to it. Pool table, dart board, fruit machines and normally have an offer on one of the lagers. What more can one want :)

Really "A bit run down" "What more can one want ?" Ok here goes...clean loos, light bulbs in the said loos, not waiting for the staff to stop looking at the tv so I can get served and then not having to hear the life story of the bar staff when they can be finally be bothered. But your right apart from that nothing :wink: .
    See you around 645 then. You have been there all season and never complained. I will tell the barmaid, she will eat you alive
    We gave up going to The White Horse, when a pissed up, broken armed, 80 year old resident of the establishment, started offering out fellow supporters for looking at him, when they weren't.

His manner was like the Wealdstone raider, but he was a big bloke, offering everyone to come outside.
  • edited March 2017
    Nicholas said:

Nicholas said:

Really "A bit run down" "What more can one want ?" Ok here goes...clean loos, light bulbs in the said loos, not waiting for the staff to stop looking at the tv so I can get served and then not having to hear the life story of the bar staff when they can be finally be bothered. But your right apart from that nothing :wink: .
    See you around 645 then. You have been there all season and never complained. I will tell the barmaid, she will eat you alive
    Looking at the size of her I doubt she turns any chance of eating down. Thankfully Southeastern robbed me of the chance last night.

You are right though as there are worse poncey places to go but there has not been a decent size pub for home fans since the Horse & Groom was turned into a church ? or whatever it is now.
  • Not sure how long they've been doing it for but if you show your season ticket they give you a card which entitles you to 20p off of pints. Every little helps !
  • Riviera said:
    So being a bit thick, does this mean the pub is up for sale again/in danger of closing ?
  • Liked the White Swan on my one and only visit. Not only did we show the Jimmy Seed film there, but I also got to meet Glenn Tilbrook, who was at the bar quietly reading his book until I came along and ruined it. Charlton fan of course.
  • Riviera said:
    So being a bit thick, does this mean the pub is up for sale again/in danger of closing ?
    What remains of the lease is up for grabs. The current management as we all know have turned it round big time and made it an attractive pub to run. I would imagine there would plenty interested in taking over. However, new brooms sweep clean. People are ambitious and one wonders why some don't follow the "if it ain't broke" rule. If the wrong type of tenant comes in and cocks up then maybe the freeholder, who I guess is some sort of property company, may look to develop otherwise. It does however have Asset of Community Value (ACV), but I'm not sure these have been tested in law as yet with regard to closing a pub.

• Sponsored links:

• If you like the Swan and are on Twitter within the next 90 minutes.... give 'em a vote!

• Anyone know the name of the rockabilly band that played there on Saturday?
  • Lady Luck Lexy.
  • Curb_It said:

Lady Luck Lexy.

Cheers B
    @Algarveaddick
  • Curb_It said:

Lady Luck Lexy.

I am amazed that of all people, you remember!
  • PaddyP17 said:

Curb_It said:

Lady Luck Lexy.

I had to go and look it up again. I read it last week but had forgotten... couldnt tell you what they were like mind!

• PaddyP17 said:

Curb_It said:

Lady Luck Lexy.

Harsh... :lol:
  • I was in high Christmas spirits! I should have gone home with Ian but oh no...
  • Wasn't ACV mainly used for pubs originally @Riviera ? It would be interesting to know any test cases for ACV exist at all so far.

I'm a massive fan of this kind of pub so it's a shame to hear what's now happening potentially (again), perhaps some cafc fans should put together something although it sounds like it might be high rent.

I rarely visit lately but when I have I've found quite a few of the beers are 'off'.
  • As far as I'm aware, the main issue at the Swan is the eye-watering rent the property developer landlords are charging.
  • Sponsored links:

• Boo, the Swan lost out to the Hermit's Cave (which is a fine boozer, admittedly).
  • @DA9 they were excellent mate, would have been right up your ally
  • The Long Pond is in the next round.
  • Under new management as of tonight. My mate is taking over, he was asking if many Charlton fans go in on a match day.

I have to say I have not been in there since the Prem days. Any advice on improvements needed?
  • Complete new management company? Or just changed the manager?
  • Proper pub is The White Swan. Might need a tweak or two but on the whole it’s a good un

Agreed. I've started going in there rather than the Bugle Horn. Proper pub, with a good selection of beer, understated lighting and a log fire. It was packed in there after the Sunderland game. So yeah, a lot of Charlton fans in there.
  • You could mention the addition of topless barmaids ?