Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

EURO PLOT THWARTED .. I ALWAYS FEEL LIKE SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME

The video of the surveillance and arrest on this page is stunning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36460569

Comments

• Intelligence chief Vasyl Hrytsak said the man had planned 15 attacks and was driven by ultra-nationalist views.

He had amassed guns, detonators and 125kg of TNT, Mr Hrytsak said.

Mr Hrytsak listed bridges, motorways, a mosque and a synagogue among the suspect's potential targets. He was being prosecuted for arms smuggling and terrorism, he said.
    I reckon he would've been giving it a crack regardless of the Euros. Perhaps the French have been somewhat lucky that the extra resources allocated for the Euros have allowed them to inadvertently sniff this guy out.

Still, not the nicest read at the moment.
  • The SBU chief said the French suspect had been in touch "with military units fighting in Donbass", a reference to the eastern areas of Luhansk and Donetsk, where pro-Russian rebels have seized large areas of Ukrainian territory.

"The Frenchman spoke negatively of the activities of his government on mass migration of foreigners to France, the spread of Islam and globalisation. He also said he wished to stage a number of terrorist attacks in protest," Mr Hrytsak said.

• It highlights just how complex security and counter-terrorism are at the moment. We're coming up on the five-year anniversary of the Anders Behring Breivik shooting in Norway, in which he killed 69 as a way of lashing out against "Islam and cultural Marxism."

I was thinking that if I'd been at one of the player dinners I would have asked JBG if he had any worry or concern about the Euros. Being American, I am in more danger or heart disease, cancer, suicide, gun violence not associated with terrorism, and dying driving my car to the shops later this afternoon than I do of being the victim of Islamic extremist terrorism. That said, I think that I would be a bit worried, perhaps hyper-vigilant, if I were going to the Euros.
  • SDAddick said:

It highlights just how complex security and counter-terrorism are at the moment. We're coming up on the five-year anniversary of the Anders Behring Breivik shooting in Norway, in which he killed 69 as a way of lashing out against "Islam and cultural Marxism."

I was thinking that if I'd been at one of the player dinners I would have asked JBG if he had any worry or concern about the Euros. Being American, I am in more danger or heart disease, cancer, suicide, gun violence not associated with terrorism, and dying driving my car to the shops later this afternoon than I do of being the victim of Islamic extremist terrorism. That said, I think that I would be a bit worried, perhaps hyper-vigilant, if I were going to the Euros.

Being British, I am in more danger or heart disease, cancer, suicide, gun violence not associated with terrorism, and dying driving my car to the shops later this afternoon than I do of being the victim of Islamic extremist terrorism.
  • Please God let's have a peaceful tournament - free from terror and hooliganism.

'God' won't stop terrorism. It might cause it though.

This guy seems to have gotten quite far in his plan. I wonder at what point they started surveilling him. I hope it was before he started stockpiling that arsenal. That's more than I got my hands on in Operation Wolf.
  • If he hated the French and bridges so much he should've started in Dartford!