Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fishing

Comments

• Options
    Off next week for two weeks on the Wye/Usk/Towey/Morrow. Bit of everything trout, grayling, sea trout, barbel luvvly jubbly.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I used to get one of the limited number of permits to fish in the Royal Parks. Long Water at Hampton Court (if I remember correctly) was favorite, nice Pike and Perch in there. Caught one of my mates through the bottom lip with a plug when we were there once, had to get him to hospital to get it out. Long time ago, don't know if permits are still issued and don't remember where we applied for them, I do know it was by mail. It was well worth it then because few people knew about the permits.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

I used to get one of the limited number of permits to fish in the Royal Parks. Long Water at Hampton Court was favorite, nice Pike and Perch in there. Caught one of my mates through the bottom lip with a plug when we were there once, had to get him to hospital to get it out. Long time ago, don't know if permits are still issued and don't remember where we applied for them, I do know it was by mail. It was well worth it then because few people knew about the permits.

The Long Water has some decent carp in it now Limey, tough water though. Had a walk around Bushy Park last year and spotted some nice Bream and carp in there as well but was very busy.

I once had to have a size eight barbed hook removed from the bone inside the top of my nose whilst fishing the river Cray but that is a whole other story ;)
  • Options
    red_murph said:

limeygent said:

I used to get one of the limited number of permits to fish in the Royal Parks. Long Water at Hampton Court was favorite, nice Pike and Perch in there. Caught one of my mates through the bottom lip with a plug when we were there once, had to get him to hospital to get it out. Long time ago, don't know if permits are still issued and don't remember where we applied for them, I do know it was by mail. It was well worth it then because few people knew about the permits.

The Long Water has some decent carp in it now Limey, tough water though. Had a walk around Bushy Park last year and spotted some nice Bream and carp in there as well but was very busy.

I once had to have a size eight barbed hook removed from the bone inside the top of my nose whilst fishing the river Cray but that is a whole other story ;)
    Ouch!
  • Options
    I learned to fish in the River Eden, in Edenbridge, peaceful little river. That's where I found out you can't fish and worry at the same time.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Shark fishing in North Carolina these days, not quite as tranquil.
  • Options
    We did a days fishing in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, it cost about $150 for the 6 of us including beers. We were fishing for Catfish with live bait (worms, beetles etc). We caught a few small ones but nothing to write home about. On the way back the skipper fired up the BBQ and we had bbq fish (he was smart to bring along) and some local salads and rice.

It was probably the best day of fishing I have ever had, highly recommend it, if any of you ever go there.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

I learned to fish in the River Eden, in Edenbridge, peaceful little river. That's where I found out you can't fish and worry at the same time.

I fish the Eden as well Limey as a member at EBAS. Beautiful stretch that runs into Hever castle lake.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Just home from a day on the Thames at Runnymede. Loads of small roach, perch and dace on maggot feeder.

Sounds good. Are there any decent Bream or even the odd Barbel around there?

A couple of years ago I was sat in a pub next to Kew Bridge and a bloke was feeder fishing, had some nice looking Bream out. Not sure I'd know where to start on a river the size of the Thames tbh.

I've caught bream on the Thames before, but there doesn't seem to be that many. The stretch below Bell Weir is a better bet for Barbel, but it's unusual to catch them unless you use methods specifically to target them (unlike on the Severn for example).

Chub can be caught in amongst the more usual roach and perch, but you can increase your chances by aiming for overhanging features such as trees or even moored boats. I had a good day with Chub at Laleham once by casting to moored boats on the far bank.

As a rule, start with a maggot feeder anywhere on the Thames. Unless the conditions are really against you, you will catch fish that way.
  • Options
    I'm off sea fishing for 8 hours on a boat in the North Sea off the coast of Norfolk on Thursday with my sons . We go every year and absolutely love it . We fish for Tope , Mackeral and Skate .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

red_murph said:

Just home from a day on the Thames at Runnymede. Loads of small roach, perch and dace on maggot feeder.

Sounds good. Are there any decent Bream or even the odd Barbel around there?

A couple of years ago I was sat in a pub next to Kew Bridge and a bloke was feeder fishing, had some nice looking Bream out. Not sure I'd know where to start on a river the size of the Thames tbh.

I've caught bream on the Thames before, but there doesn't seem to be that many. The stretch below Bell Weir is a better bet for Barbel, but it's unusual to catch them unless you use methods specifically to target them (unlike on the Severn for example).

Chub can be caught in amongst the more usual roach and perch, but you can increase your chances by aiming for overhanging features such as trees or even moored boats. I had a good day with Chub at Laleham once by casting to moored boats on the far bank.

As a rule, start with a maggot feeder anywhere on the Thames. Unless the conditions are really against you, you will catch fish that way.
    Used to bag up with Bream at kingston bridge a few years back I think the store (John Lewis?) got access blocked, 100lb bags weren't unheard of.
  • Options
    First French wild trout, from tiny acorns etc...

• Options

No toad in the hole for you tonight mate!
  • Options

Catching bait?
  • Options
    apologies, I can't be bothered to go through the whole thread but what do most of you do with your catches? do you throw them back or take home to cook?
  • Options

That's actually a 15lb trout, you've just got a massive hand! :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    3blokes said:

That's actually a 15lb trout, you've just got a massive hand! :wink:
    Only needs a finger and thumb and tweezers for other hand related activities :wink:
  • Options

apologies, I can't be bothered to go through the whole thread but what do most of you do with your catches? do you throw them back or take home to cook?

Big enough trout get eaten as do most sea fish. But fresh water fish get put back
  • Options
    Limey, that's me first one. I'll post up the next one when I catch it and you'll be sorry
  • Options
    From the sea if big enough, eat.

Never done edible freshwater so they all go back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I'd like to set up 2 rods, one for carp and one for float, so whatever beasties that'll get too!

I fish for carp with a float, baited with a couple of maggots or some sweet corn, never seem to have any problems catching them, just have to put up with picking up a lot of perch and roach, too.
  • Options
    Me pal runs a carp fishing lake out here, fish upto 65 pound. Inbox me for details.
  • Options

Me pal runs a carp fishing lake out here, fish upto 65 pound. Inbox me for details.

What region is that? Fished Mirror Pool in Limoges a few years back now, stunning lake and loved every minute of it. Need to get myself back out to France at some point.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

What region is that? Fished Mirror Pool in Limoges a few years back now, stunning lake and loved every minute of it. Need to get myself back out to France at some point.
    Angel Lakes mate. You fly into Limoges for there an all and it's near a place called Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche. I'm sure me pal knows the bloke from Mirror Pool
  • Options
    Has anyone been to Lee Bowyers lake in France?
  • Options

red_murph said:

Angel Lakes mate. You fly into Limoges for there an all and it's near a place called Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche. I'm sure me pal knows the bloke from Mirror Pool
    That looks absolutely spot on, very nice indeed fella. Good website as well. Must admit I like the idea of not having to take any gear and having it all there for you as well. Stunning part of the world down there.

When three of us went to Mirror we drove down and took a wrong turning, somehow ended up going through central Paris in rush hour in a clapped out old Volvo with bedchairs and rod bags strapped to the roof rack with only maps to navigate. It was like something from the film European Vacation, complete fookin' nightmare!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Should try this if ever you're over here. Don't need to be in a large group, they have "make up parties", really great beaches if you have family with you. Still an under-appreciated part of the U.S.
    http://www.outerbanksfishingcharters.net/
  • Options

Has anyone been to Lee Bowyers lake in France?

I believe Lee Bowyer has.
  • Options
    Plenty of lakes all round Kent all worth a visit
    Orchard farm, elphicks,Frant,Claygate, cackle Hill,cottingham
    All day ticket
    All guarantee a decent days/nights action
  • Options
    For all you big carp boys "Monster Carp" starts tonight on ITV4 at 20.00. Ali Hamidi fronting the show so should contain a few laughs.