Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most capped England Player

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Yankey#/media/File:Rachel_Yankey_2012.jpg

Do the FA do enough, bearing in mind that they sabotaged the womens game nearly 100 years ago?

Comments

• Options
    Do enough for the women's game? As I understand it, they are making a concerted effort to do more. I'm a pretty big Feminist, but if we started holding organizations accountable for 100-year-old sexist decisions, we'd hate...everyone.

Curious to learn more. Here in the States, the women's game at youth level is organized and funded to roughly an equal level as the mens' game. The outcomes are far superior. There are many reasons for this, girls in sport are far more prevalent here. Within that, women's soccer tends to attract the best athletes, leading to success at international level, and success perpetuating success.

Even here in the States, where the Women's national team is arguably bigger (or as big) as the men's, the caps and goals achievements aren't massively celebrated (though neither are the mens' to be fair). And to provide context in the name of fairness, there are (at least here) far more women's international matches, with the quality of opponent varying greatly.
  • Options
    I think you mean Most Capped England Women's Player.
  • Options
    No, most capped England player.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SDAddick said:

Do enough for the women's game? As I understand it, they are making a concerted effort to do more. I'm a pretty big Feminist, but if we started holding organizations accountable for 100-year-old sexist decisions, we'd hate...everyone.

Curious to learn more. Here in the States, the women's game at youth level is organized and funded to roughly an equal level as the mens' game. The outcomes are far superior. There are many reasons for this, girls in sport are far more prevalent here. Within that, women's soccer tends to attract the best athletes, leading to success at international level, and success perpetuating success.

Even here in the States, where the Women's national team is arguably bigger (or as big) as the men's, the caps and goals achievements aren't massively celebrated (though neither are the mens' to be fair). And to provide context in the name of fairness, there are (at least here) far more women's international matches, with the quality of opponent varying greatly.

I take your point. but even by their own standards this was pretty shit. They do not acknowledge on their own website what actually happened. The only reference they make to their own shameful behaviour is as follows: "The FA banned women’s football from its clubs’ grounds but its view that football was ‘quite unsuitable for females’ changed towards the end of the 1960s" That's it. They ended the careers of many professional women footballers.

What they did was, in 1921 they told all clubs that were affiliated to the FA that if they hosted women's clubs or allowed them to use their facilities or associated themselves with women's clubs they would be ejected from the FA. At the time women's football was becoming hugely popular and some games were attracting spectators in the tens of thousands. The "unsuitable for females" angle, supported by nonsensical medical pronouncements about the effect of playing football on the womb, reports that women who played football would develop male characteristics and damage their fertility were drafted to cover up the actual reason: that following the first world war the FA wanted to reinstate the game on the same terms as that which existed before the war, and were afraid that new developments would weaken their control as arbiters of the laws of the game. They were still smarting from the establishment of the football league over 30 years before (they weren't quick to change, never have been and have a proud history of failing to recognize shifts in public opinion and advances in the game), and still coming to terms with professionalism and the disappearance of wealthy amateurs from the top of the game. They were damned if they were going to have women stepping all over their territory..the FA have been incompetent forces for the status quo since they were established.
  • Options

Its two different sports though and if your arguing down that line then we go back to the argument of whether she's good enough for the mens side!!
  • Options

What about Peter Wilson who has played for England blind team over 200 times?

Or Karen Brown over 300 caps for England hockey team?

Like i said, you mean most capped England women's footballer.
  • Options
    It's "the most-capped England women's footballler".

And it's "the most-capped England footballer".

You're both right.

Peter Shilton hasn't got as many caps as Rachel Yankee. Yet.
  • Options
    what about the blind footballer ? Beats Yankey.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Funny name
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

He's excluded. Shilton and Yankey have both been capped more times than anyone else qualified, without exclusion, other than by gender, for their teams.

Like me, Peter Wilson isn't excluded from playing for the England men's team. Like me, he hasn't got any caps.
  • Options
    Ha. That's almost worth a flag Chizz !!!
  • Options
    But if you have one type of exclusion why not another?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

But if you have one type of exclusion why not another?

Because it suits the agenda
  • Options
    The ex Charlton Ladies player Farah Williams has more caps than Peter Shilton .
  • Options
    I was just using a semantic tic to get a discussion going about women's football anyway.

I think men's physique would make it very difficult for women's teams to beat them. Apart from the Charlton team 2015-16
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    http://www.cafcwomen.co.uk/

Wonder if attendance at women's instead of men's team would be a useful protest next year whilst still demonstrating support for football at Charlton?
  • Options

Franchise women's team.

Can't believe anyone on here would support Charlton Women's team. Took over the Croydon Ladies team and rebadged as Charlton. Perhaps they should be called MK Charlton and get vitriol poured over them by posters here.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Franchise women's team.

Can't believe anyone on here would support Charlton Women's team.
    You're right. Why would we want to be associated with shoddy practice and stain our good reputation?