Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jamie Vardy

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36450106

Arsenal talking to Leicester about Vardy. Wow did not see that one coming. Don't think he needs this right now with the euros starting next week. Personally would not like to see him in an Arsenal shirt one bit!

Comments

• Options
    Don't know why arsenal would want to wrap this up before the euros.

See how he plays/possible injury etc.

I think Vardy will be pretty much 50/50 on the idea to be honest.
  • Options
    After the season he has had surely his value can only go down now. Why wouldnt they wait. Not like hes gonna smash the euros lets be honest
  • Options
    Perhaps they think there is more chance of it happening as it allows Leicester to shop for a replacement at the Euros.
  • Options
    I think it will be bad business for arsenal, its on the back of a season and a half, he's 29-30 and someone who relies on pace massively and players usually start to lose a yard or two from 30. Teams also often sit deep especially when playing away at arsenal. Great move for the player though, imagine a wage increase, huge signing on and probably percentage of the transfer.
  • Options
    Vardy likes to run at goal and shoot. That's it. I can't remember the last time Arsenal even had a one-on-one like that. Really bizarre move. Unless they plan to play like Leicester next season.
  • Options

I think it will be bad business for arsenal, its on the back of a season and a half, he's 29-30 and someone who relies on pace massively and players usually start to lose a yard or two from 30. Teams also often sit deep especially when playing away at arsenal. Great move for the player though, imagine a wage increase, huge signing on and probably percentage of the transfer.

I saw somewhere after signing his new contract at Leicester he's already on £80k a week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agree completely - he's done well this season but there are much better options for them imho.
  • Options
    I can see why Arsenal want to get this business done early now. Every transfer window they are criticised for dithering over the details, remember the £40m + £1 for Suarez fiasco? They have already signed that Swiss midfielder Xhaka for £25m and now they are going in for Vardy so it seems like they are trying to learn from their mistakes. Agree though that it will be sad if Leicester's team is dismantled. Remember when Southampton exceeded expectations and all their best players got picked off. Money talks I guess.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

Vardy likes to run at goal and shoot. That's it. I can't remember the last time Arsenal even had a one-on-one like that. Really bizarre move. Unless they plan to play like Leicester next season.

For years they've been accused of playing tippy-tappy football, squandering opportunities by always trying to score the perfect goal. The natives were restless (not sure ifs they still are since they leap-frogged Spurs, though). Perhaps they decided that they need someone who can do things a little differently to give them a few more options.
  • Options
    It's not much of a gamble for Arsenal to spend £20m on Vardy. Even if it doesnt work out there will still be plenty of clubs who will take him off their hands in 18 months time.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I saw somewhere after signing his new contract at Leicester he's already on £80k a week.
    Wow, 100k a week then I imagine. There's no way he'll not negotiate a pay rise.
  • Options

It's not much of a gamble for Arsenal to spend £20m on Vardy. Even if it doesnt work out there will still be plenty of clubs who will take him off their hands in 18 months time.

For a hell of a lot less than 20 million though
  • Options

Look how much Darren Bent went for after a couple of indifferent seasons at Spurs. There will be no shortage of mid table clubs who will pay over the odds for a player of his pedigree.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Does seem an odd one for Arsenal considering Arsene treats their money as his own. Had one fantastic season but at 29 he isn't really one they can build their team on and will he do it again next year. Honestly think he's better off at Leicester rather than just about making the bench at Arsenal.
  • Options
    Was having a discussion with my German friend about this, my view was stay at Leicester, show a bit of loyalty, maybe negotiate a bit more money. His view was sod it leave get the 100k from arsenal as he is 30 now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd rather Kante
  • Options

I'd rather Kante

Fails the height test.
  • Options

Look how much Darren Bent went for after a couple of indifferent seasons at Spurs. There will be no shortage of mid table clubs who will pay over the odds for a player of his pedigree.
    He was 25 though, not 30+.
  • Options
    For a club of Arsenal's size, 20m is peanuts and hardly a gamble at all really. Plus he's English and with Walcott and Oxlade-chamberlain potentially leaving, they need some english players to fill the quota.
  • Options
    Ozil and Vardy. What's not to like? Vardy can score goals anywhere, he's proved that. Good move for him. Leicester won't challenge again and he's got more chance of playing European football with them, not to mention a big pay day.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

He was 25 though, not 30+.
    If it all goes horribly wrong for Vardy at Arsenal next season it'll probably be put down to him not fitting the system/Arsenal not playing to his strengths and someone will still be willing to shell out serious money for a striker (even one in his early 30's) who recently won his team the title. There's always risk with every transfer but £20m isn't worth what it was in football terms and there's more upside to this transfer than down for Arsenal.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I see this like Grant Holt leaving Norwich or Rickie Lambert leaving Southampton, both took step ups late in their careers after good seasons and are forgotten men now!!

Vardy looks like a supremely fit player who's only got 200 professional games on his clock. That's not many for a 29 year old. If he continues to keep himself in shape he could easily be able to play at the highest level for 2-3 more years. Lambert and Holt both looked like they were more interested in pie and ales by the time they got their big moves and their performances reflected it.
  • Options
    Could he be Arsenals new Ian Wright, signs late in his twenties but continues to play well and score for fun into his mid thirties. Personally I hope he stays at Leicester they fit well together.
  • Options
    His wages could be £25m over four years.