Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

International Friendlies

Friendly - Bosnia vs Denmark 2-2 - went to extra time and penalties (Bosnia won 4-3)- does any one know why? Is this a new initiative?

Comments

• Options
    Aren't FIFA bringing in a league system for international friendlies? Don't think that's until 2018 tho.
  • Options
    Google it:

'Ten-man Bosnia and Herzegovina booked their place in the Kirin Cup final after defeating Denmark 4-3 on penalties following a 2-2 draw on Friday'.
  • Options
    The Kirin Cup is an association football tournament organised in Japan by the Kirin Brewery Company. The host, Japan, is a participant in every edition. The tournament was founded in 1978 as an international club competition and was last held in its full form in 2011; after which it is exclusively soccer. From 1992 onwards the format was changed to a round robin national team competition. The first nation to win the competition was Argentina. Japan are the tournament's most successful team with 11 titles, followed by Peru with 3 titles. As of 2011, the current cup holders are the Czech Republic, Japan and Peru, which shared the last title following three goal-less draws between the teams.

Since the start of the international competitions in 1992, the tournament has hosted a variety of teams from South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. Out of the South American CONMEBOL members who have been invited (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru), Peru have been the most successful (3 titles) with Argentina in a close second (2 titles). Out of the European invitees, there have been 6 different champions, the most successful being the Czech Republic with 2 titles, with Hungary, France, Belgium, Slovakia and Scotland winning one title each. Aside from Japan, the only other Asian country to have won the tournament are the United Arab Emirates (2005), who shared the title with Peru. No African teams have won the tournament (Only one African team has participated in just one edition).

In addition to the annual Kirin Cup there are a few Kirin Challenge Cups, friendlies also sponsored by the Kirin Corporation, played throughout the year in Japan. Japan took out the most recent 2015 Kirin Challenge Cup with 2–0 win over Tunisia on 27 March 2015 and 4–0 win over Iraq on 11 June 2015.
  • Options

Google it:

'Ten-man Bosnia and Herzegovina booked their place in the Kirin Cup final after defeating Denmark 4-3 on penalties following a 2-2 draw on Friday'.

You guys are better than google :)
  • Options

The Kirin Cup is an association football tournament organised in Japan by the Kirin Brewery Company. The host, Japan, is a participant in every edition. The tournament was founded in 1978 as an international club competition and was last held in its full form in 2011; after which it is exclusively soccer. From 1992 onwards the format was changed to a round robin national team competition. The first nation to win the competition was Argentina. Japan are the tournament's most successful team with 11 titles, followed by Peru with 3 titles. As of 2011, the current cup holders are the Czech Republic, Japan and Peru, which shared the last title following three goal-less draws between the teams.

Since the start of the international competitions in 1992, the tournament has hosted a variety of teams from South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. Out of the South American CONMEBOL members who have been invited (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru), Peru have been the most successful (3 titles) with Argentina in a close second (2 titles). Out of the European invitees, there have been 6 different champions, the most successful being the Czech Republic with 2 titles, with Hungary, France, Belgium, Slovakia and Scotland winning one title each. Aside from Japan, the only other Asian country to have won the tournament are the United Arab Emirates (2005), who shared the title with Peru. No African teams have won the tournament (Only one African team has participated in just one edition).

In addition to the annual Kirin Cup there are a few Kirin Challenge Cups, friendlies also sponsored by the Kirin Corporation, played throughout the year in Japan. Japan took out the most recent 2015 Kirin Challenge Cup with 2–0 win over Tunisia on 27 March 2015 and 4–0 win over Iraq on 11 June 2015.

Scotland have won something, well I never
  • Options
    Going to be a good final test for Croatia tonight at home to San Marino....
  • Options
    The 2011 edition sounds riveting. Shared by Czech Republic Peru and Japan after three goalless draws.
  • Options

And so it turned out . A close 10-0 win for Croatia .
    What on earth will they have learned from that ?
  • Options

San Marino are still really shit.
  • Options

Boost morale?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fitness?
  • Options
    There are pros and cons for doing this - some penalty takers are not regular penalty takers so it gives opponents a chance to see how they take a penalty. It puts an issue in their minds- do I have to change it etc... The positive is that if thousands of people are watching you it equates at some level to pressure.

If I was a manager - I'd do this. I'd tell the regular penalty takers for their clubs to go and have a drink in the bar. Then behind closed doors, I'd ask the other players who would consider taking a penalty in a shoot out. Those that are not comfortable would be sent to the bar to join the others. I would ask the rest to take three types of penalty within 21 penalties. 7 will be central, 7 to the left and 7 to the right - they can decide the power. I and my coaches would be looking at where they are most reliable and comfortable. Then in a second session the next day I would tell them where they will be putting their penalty should they take part in a penalty shoot out and expect them to take five of these. From this I will decide who my best penalty takers are and create a short list.

If my team won a shoot out, I would look at the ones that looked equally comfortable in the first session, putting the ball in a different place. Then I would hold a session where they take penalties to that different area - I would give those suitable new instructions but keep those that have one penalty and are reliable as opponents won't know who they are and where they will be placing in another shoot out. Won't take much time to do, and would have both practical and psychological benefits IMO.