Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Amir Khan

reported he wants to box at the Olympics for Pakistan rather then Great Britain?

Right or wrong?

Personally, I think it's a bit of a snub to the country that supported and helped him become the man he is today, but that's just me.

Comments

• Options
    We'll get more of that with all the immigrants here. If they make it big in sport will they represent the UK or their parents country?
  • Options
    yeah not a very nice thing to do as he was happy to fight at olympics in 2004 for gb, wonder how his boxing career would of taken off if he represented pakistan. me if i was any good at sport could represent england, scotland or roi, due to family, wouldnt feel right for me lining up with the scotland team singing flower of scotland.
  • Options
    Hope he gets put on his arse like a useless fat spanner giving it in the top tier a Wembley...
  • Options
    Not fussed at all, Lennox Lewis represented Canada at the olympics but didn't stop us pretending he was British. Anyone that gets angry over this needs to get a grip
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    To really throw the debate open.

I dont even think Amir Khan should be going to the Olympics as its not for professionals but for amateurs... Golf and Football fair enough being part of the Games yet the former should be a competition between the top amateurs in the World whilst the Football teams sent should be the Non-League National Teams (i.e. England "C").

Or even still, none of the major Sports should even be involved in the Olympics

Yet another event though thats been swallowed by the corporate world though!!
  • Options
    agree with @ForeverAddickted golf is there really a call for it i watch the 4 majors and thats enough.
  • Options
    I think all the top athletes are professional.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To really throw the debate open.

I dont even think Amir Khan should be going to the Olympics as its not for professionals but for amateurs... Golf and Football fair enough being part of the Games yet the former should be a competition between the top amateurs in the World whilst the Football teams sent should be the Non-League National Teams (i.e. England "C").

Or even still, none of the major Sports should even be involved in the Olympics

Yet another event though thats been swallowed by the corporate world though!!

Spot on. Doesn't bother me if he represents either the UK or Pakistan, he has strong connections with both nations as do pleanty of people who live in our country.
  • Options
    Firstly as a professional it's ridiculous that he can even participate at the Olympics.

Secondly, who cares who he fights for if he does go, it's not exactly like he is adored by the British public as it is anyway.
  • Options

agree with @ForeverAddickted golf is there really a call for it i watch the 4 majors and thats enough.

Same with Tennis... You've got their four Majors... Why the need to encroach on lesser watched Sports taking their thunder?

The IOC should instead concentrate on sorting out event numbers for the classic Olympic Sports i.e. You get 34 potential swimming events which involve the breast stroke / back stroke / doggie paddle yet then you have almost half that number of Cycling events (Its been lowered since last time)...

Its not like the two events use the same stadium (be brilliant watching if they did) so why the need to remove them?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    If he did box for them and didn't win a medal it would be rather amusing!
  • Options

Same with Tennis... You've got their four Majors... Why the need to encroach on lesser watched Sports taking their thunder?

The IOC should instead concentrate on sorting out event numbers for the classic Olympic Sports i.e. You get 34 potential swimming events which involve the breast stroke / back stroke / doggie paddle yet then you have almost half that number of Cycling events (Its been lowered since last time)...

Its not like the two events use the same stadium (be brilliant watching if they did) so why the need to remove them?
    After 2012 it's definitely time to retire tennis from the Olympics !
  • Options

shine166 said:

Not fussed at all, Lennox Lewis represented Canada at the olympics but didn't stop us pretending he was British. Anyone that gets angry over this needs to get a grip

I'm fuckin fuming
    Says the bloke from Grove Park who won a gold medal for France in Shooting Rats. ;)
  • Options
    What happens if a Pro boxer comes up against an Amateur... Does one have to wear a helmet whilst the other doesnt? Or is it a case of the two will be separate competitions entirely?
  • Options
    he 2016 Summer Olympic program features 28 sports and a total of 41 disciplines and 306 events.

Aquatics
    Diving (8)
    Swimming (34)
    Synchronized swimming (2)
    Water polo (2)
    Archery (4)
    Athletics (47)
    Badminton (5)
    Basketball (2)
    Boxing (13)
    Canoeing
    Slalom (4)
    Sprint (12)
    Cycling
    BMX (2)
    Mountain biking (2)
    Road (4)
    Track (10)
    Equestrian
    Dressage (2)
    Eventing (2)
    Jumping (2)
    Fencing (10)
    Field hockey (2)
    Football (2)
    Golf (2)
    Gymnastics
    Artistic (14)
    Rhythmic (2)
    Trampoline (2)
    Handball (2)
    Judo (14)
    Modern pentathlon (2)
    Rowing (14)
    Rugby sevens (2)
    Sailing (10)
    Shooting (15)
    Table tennis (4)
    Taekwondo (8)
    Tennis (5)
    Triathlon (2)
    Volleyball
    Volleyball (2)
    Beach volleyball (2)
    Weightlifting (15)
    Wrestling
    Freestyle (12)
    Greco-Roman (6)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My rule for the Olympics, is that winning an Olympic Gold should be the ultimate achievement in your sport. The one you'll be known for, for the rest of your life.

For athletics, this is clearly the case, as it is for sports like AMATEUR boxing, weightlifting, hockey, equestrian, swimming, wrestling, track cycling etc

Sports like Football (which at least is restricted), Tennis, Golf etc clearly don't come in this category, similarly letting in professional boxers, and at such a late stage is crazy.
  • Options
    Two things to bear in mind:

1) It's unlikely that Khan would be able represent GB, as we are unlikely to send professionals to the Rio Olympics.

2) The reported comments were made at a press conference in Pakistan, so it may well have just been Khan playing to the room.

Probably best to see if anything actually comes of it before getting too worked up about it.
  • Options
    34 swimming events is ridiculous but not as ridiculous as professionals who's highest sporting achievement isn't an Olympic gold medal. I think Olympic football could be interesting/relevant if professionals were banned.
  • Options
    Gillis said:

1) It's unlikely that Khan would be able represent GB, as we are unlikely to send professionals to the Rio Olympics.

2) The reported comments were made at a press conference in Pakistan, so it may well have just been Khan playing to the room.

Probably best to see if anything actually comes of it before getting too worked up about it.

You know you could have mentioned this sooner @i_b_b_o_r_g wouldnt be so fuming!!
  • Options
    Not overly bothered about it but if he decides to fight for Pakistan, i cant wait to see his glass chin get rattled and him sleeping on the canvas.
  • Options
    Any boxers other than Khan actually pro (pun not intended) professional boxers in the Olympics?
  • Options

Any boxers other than Khan actually pro (pun not intended) professional boxers in the Olympics?

Manny Pacquiao.
  • Options
    If every country put their best pros forward then it would circumvent the ludicrous politics in the sport and force fighters together and the gold would be unified champion albeit over 3 rounds.

Would also pit the cubans against opponents they'd never otherwise meet which would be interesting.

Two different games though the ams and pros so would be strange to see.

As for Khan I imagine his touted appearance for Pakistan would do a lot more for the people of that country than if he rocked up again in a GB top.

Certainly wouldn't view it as him turning his back on the UK....he's been extremely vocal and patriotic about his pride at being British over the years probably at a time when it would have been easier not too in terms of the political climate.

He's said he may fight for a country where he has roots ...he's not handed his passport back to the Queen.

At the same time I do think it's bollocks that you can represent more than one country in international sport but I suppose it's a modern phenomenon and symptom of global movement etc.

I'm just trying to work out how this impacts my Brexit/EU vote.
  • Options

Gillis said:

You know you could have mentioned this sooner @i_b_b_o_r_g wouldnt be so fuming!!
    Fuckin would be, damage has been done. he might aswell join ISIS
  • Options

Gillis said:

Fuckin would be, damage has been done. he might aswell join ISIS
    The Oxford University rowing team? I'm not sure he'd be heavy enough and he'd certainly have to give up boxing to concentrate on learning the technique.