Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bet this will be popular

13»

Comments

• ProSt8 said:

Why are people upset about the cost of an event that they have no intention of attending ?

It's not the first fathers' day lunch ever held at The Valley - did you attend the earlier ones but are now annoyed you can't go because it's become too expensive ?

2014 was £35 http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140306-spend-fathers-day-at-the-valley-1401566.aspx

A Legend's stadium tour at Millwall is £22 if that is more appealing

ProSt8 said:

Why are people upset about the cost of an event that they have no intention of attending ?

It's not the first fathers' day lunch ever held at The Valley - did you attend the earlier ones but are now annoyed you can't go because it's become too expensive ?

2014 was £35 http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140306-spend-fathers-day-at-the-valley-1401566.aspx

Hi Katrien.

You've left a bit of a trail in which now everything you do, even if just the slightest bit questionable, needs to get taken the piss out of.

Most things you do at Charlton will now be moaned about. You can never win.

And my god you deserve it.
  • I know that's not actually Meire but it just sort of had a flow to it.
  • ProSt8 said:

We, yes, as I said I did attend the Xmas one.

The Millwall tour isn't at all more appealing but I am showing some Millwall around a part of the Valley today ; - )

But as we can see for £22 you don't get a meal, just a tour and you get a "legend" showing you around. So not like for like

http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/article/stadium-tours-launch-1898636.aspx
  • Stig said:

It's not, directly, the regime.

Charlton Events is Delaware North (DNS). They run these dinners/tours and they get the money.

Ben Kensell pulled the wool over Katrien's eyes and sold the catering and hospitality to DNS.

DNS aren't very happy that the promises made by "sweat the asset" Kensell haven't come true. They calculated their costs and staffing on far higher spends and numbers. They were way out even before the boycotts and failing gates. If I was them I would be trying to renegotiate the deal.

But the manager who negotiated the original deal on behalf of DNS was Tony Cahones. Slight conflict of interest there. He so impressed KM with his catering skills she made him Chief Operating Officer for the the whole club and gave him oversight of the £10m+ training ground project.

Predictably the Sparrows Lane build has gone horribly wrong and is so late we can't get the work done in time for the next scheduled audit for Cat 1 Academy status. That means we have to wait another three years after that. Well done Tony.

Upshot is that DNS charge silly amounts to try and cover their costs and recoup their losses. That's why this is now £38 when £20 or £25 would be a reasonable price mark IMHO. And you can come and see the museum for free tomorrow (3 June 11.00 - 2.00)

I tagged along on one of the tours, a few other lifers were there, at Xmas and the meal was fine and plenty of it. The tour was well handled and informative and if you've not seen the dressing rooms, gone pitchside etc etc before then it would be of interest to most fans IMO.

Sounds like the plot from a third rate soap opera. Emmerdale Player-Farm perhaps.
    Thanks, I tried to sell the CAFC story of the last two years to the BBC and they said it was unrealistic and too depressing. I'm trying Channel 4 next.
  • LuckyReds said:

http://www.charltonevents.com/ - How much did this bullshit cost them then?

Nice to see we have an events website when we don't even have staff.

http://www.charltonevents.com/events/upcoming/prom-packages-2016/

"Prom packages- celebrate the end of the academic year in style" WTF!

Who are these utter morons that are completely failing at running our club!
  • The promotional photo is a shot from the fifth game next season from the Directors Box when we score our first goal of the season.
  • I did a tour 3 years ago at a family day for £5 a head. So of that is the marker the roast is £33? Is it an unlimited bar or do you get truffles with the roast or something?

Can see this flying off the shelf!
  • @LuckyReds either they didn't pay enough, or they weren't bright enough to commission a responsive site though.

• edited June 2016
    Doesn't matter if it's this circus in charge or any other regime calling the shots, £38 for a stadium tour and roast is a farce. I've done tours at Dortmund, Barca, Madrid in recent years and that was no more than £15/20 a pop - and there's no chance the food is gonna be worth the additional score. I love the Valley as much as the next man, but I can't imagine a tour of a League 1 ground is quite on the same level. Staggering pricing in comparison
  • Stig said:

too many posts on here assume that all CAFC fans are fully paid up CARD members .. I am sure that the majority of fans have seen similar upheavals and 'traumatic' times at the valley and that their main interest, as strange as it may seem to some, is the football AND the club irrespective of the owner and the opposition to him .. this day out will appeal to many dads and their sons and daughters

It is simply preying on peoples' love of their club in order to con their loved ones into paying over the odds for something that is pretty standard faire.
    That's this regime all over, and why some people still buy season tickets. Except it's worse than standard fare.

• Sponsored links:

• My local does 2 adults and 2 kids sunday roast for £42 and it's decent. £38!? a pop dream on. As if they'll sell enough to cover the staff's wages for the day. No Charlton fans are gonna wanna do this at any price are they?
  • This event when ran by the club not contracted caterers, was aimed at getting families into the stadium for a tour of the facilities that they wouldn't normally have access to and of course to enjoy a family meal on site.
    From memory I think the cost in 2013 was around £25 per head including the tour, two course carvery meal and a pint/glass of wine or soft drink.
    At this cost the clubs then in house caterers were still making a very good margin.
    As a measure of its success it was often necessary to run three tours and dining slots on the day.