Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zoom H1 recorder

Just decided to dust off the old decks and do a few mixes again but the last time I did that it was to tape cassettes...
Like most laptops there's no 'line in' input on mine so was thinking about getting a Zoom H1 recorder then using Audacity.
Are they any good and should it work for this purpose or is there a better way of recording vinyl?

Comments

• Options
    I literally bought one just a few days ago and have been playing about with it. Easy to understand and operate.

Although I will be using it for very different reasons than yours I think it's very good for the price. Good enough variety of options and sound is decent.
    I'm only a beginner when it comes to sound recording but I would say it's very good for the price and what it offers.

The main negative is that Its cheap and plasticky feel (although the new version has a rubber coating) and its sensitive to picking up sound from touching the body or vibrations through tables or mic stands. Apparently this is because the mics aren't separated from the body.

If you're nearby, I'm in Woolwich, and want to try out mine before you buy, you're welcome to.
  • Options
    Are you recording using a line, jack to jack?
    In which case that should work perfectly, just make sure to record in wav at 24 bit. You can always convert to MP3 when you want to put the tracks onto a phone/player but it's worth having the uncompressed tracks on your computer in all their glory :)
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

I literally bought one just a few days ago and have been playing about with it. Easy to understand and operate.

Although I will be using it for very different reasons than yours I think it's very good for the price. Good enough variety of options and sound is decent.
    I'm only a beginner when it comes to sound recording but I would say it's very good for the price and what it offers.

The main negative is that Its cheap and plasticky feel (although the new version has a rubber coating) and its sensitive to picking up sound from touching the body or vibrations through tables or mic stands. Apparently this is because the mics aren't separated from the body.

If you're nearby, I'm in Woolwich, and want to try out mine before you buy, you're welcome to.

Have pmd you.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    EastStand said:

Are you recording using a line, jack to jack?
    In which case that should work perfectly, just make sure to record in wav at 24 bit. You can always convert to MP3 when you want to put the tracks onto a phone/player but it's worth having the uncompressed tracks on your computer in all their glory :)

Thanks for the info. It would have to be rca to jack though wouldn't it? Forgot about the headphone jack on amp that never gets used so could be used if it's possible. Headphone jack on mixer is in use.