Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A little Perspective on life

A few weeks backs via a mutual friend I was asked to visit someone with a fear of German Shepherds, I turned up at a house on the prearranged date and parked on the drive leaving Bailey in the car until I was sure of what levels of fear (Cynaphobia) I was dealing with. I was met by a man who introduced himself as the husband to the lady I was to meet. Entering the lounge of the lovely furnished bungalow sitting in the armchair was a frail, delicate lady hooked up to various intravenous drips, smiling she said don't be scared of all this " I have cancer" I tried my hardest not show any emotion but I don't think I'm to good an actor. Asking me to take a seat she said "I need a favour" thinking to myself what in hells name can I offer this lady, who in the latter stages of terminal cancer had be released from the hospice. I'm very scared of your dogs, she said as she smiled at me, I've seen you with your dogs on the Leas on my trips to the beach and there is no logic to it but I'm scared of them. Telling me she had become used to the fact she was going to die meeting a German Shepherd was on her list of things to do and would I be able to help. Fetching Bailey from the car I took a moment to gather myself as I put a lead on Bailey and locked the car back up. Walking back through to lounge I was met by the smiling lady who held both hands to hug him, no holding back she just hugged him. Her husband was struggling, I was gone and seeing this walking past me he touched my arm and winked at me. Bailey sat beside her as she stroked him for ten minutes or so before her husband said she was tiring, suggesting before I go I took a photo, the idea was met the biggest smile yet. I took the photo of the lady her husband and Bailey before getting up to leave. I tried not accept my fee for the visit which had run well over and into around two and a half hours, but insisting I took it I said I would donate it to charity. Instead I had to photo printed and framed and I returned it last week, where it sat on the ladies bedside table until last night when she sadly past away. I have delibrately not used names or locations, but once again in truth, football is just a game it doesn't really matter that much in life or death.
RIP my friend x

Comments

• Lovely story, well done.
  • That's a really nice story, Ray :-)
    Good old Bailey.
  • Very moving story, Ray. I can only begin to imagine the emotion for you, the husband and above all the dear lady. You and Bailey did a wonderful thing.

RIP
  • Well done Ray, a wonderful story and well done to Bailey also. You're right mate football is just a game, its not life and death.
  • Very moving story. Well done to you and Bailey.
  • Lovely story mate; nice one.
  • Wonderful story that.
  • Top man Ray. Love reading your stories.
  • You'll be disappointed if you did meet him @Davo55 :-)

Only joking mate, that's a lovely story Ray thanks for sharing. RIP x
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done Ray, a wonderful story and well done to Bailey also. You're right mate football is just a game, its not life and death.

Please Wally no mention on FB the ladies Daughter wants to stay in touch. If she deems to mention it by all means crack on. ;)
  • Amazingly poignant and uplifting story. Thank you for sharing it.
  • Bloody marvellous TCE.

In the course of my work I have seen the amazing work therapy dogs do with children with autism. Your post is just fantastic.
  • Davo55 said:

Ray, we've never met, I don't know you at all except through CL, but I think you're a great bloke.

Smudge is right, you'd be disappointed. :(
    In all honesty I went through my early years thinking the world owed me something when in fact it owed me nothing. I went to visit a lady thinking I was going to another simple Dog Phobia lesson, instead I got another Life Lesson. I lay awake half the night just thinking about a lady I met twice but my boy helped her achieve one of her ambitions and I can relate to that. There by the grace of someone.....................
  • Good man Ray
  • Moving stuff.

Yes, does put things into perspective.

Hard not to be a tad emotional after reading that.
  • Beautiful thing to read on a Monday morning. Bless you mate.
  • Very touching story and well done to you both.

• Lovely story and has brought tears to my eyes
  • That's Brought a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat. What a beautiful story.

Well done mate