Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What do I do next year?

My 11 year old son stated to me yesterday that he agrees not to renew. This was quite a pinnacle and sad moment in our house -I love taking him and his bro (a boycotter since January) down the Valley, and so it's a ritual destroyed for us (been going for 6 years with him).

He (the son) trains on a Saturday morning until midday, so away games are limited to the south east.

How do I fill the void? He has said, not prompted from me, that he is willing to protest outside, but what fun is that for an 11 year old kid?

Comments

• Options
    Protest outside the West Stand for the duration of the match?
  • Options
    Looks like it will be a Welling season ticket for me and away games
  • Options
    Take up snooker.
  • Options

And yet another family and generation of supporter(s) potentially lost.

And yet people wanted to have a huge go at me for 'targeting' HER family.!

Mate if you keep on about that I will make you Skype with my father. Set aside a good couple hours.

@EdgeleyAddick It absolutely breaks my heart. I would suggest trying to find something else to do the three of you on a Saturday. Non-League football is of course an option. I'm sorry I'm struggling to think of other things, but something that still allows you to spend time with them. Maybe it's not the same thing every week, maybe it's a museum one week, cinema the next, that sort of thing.

Though I know his heart is in the right place, I agree with you that just going down every other week to protest isn't much fun, and that's a lot of negativity for such a young man. On big occasions, sure, but every other week is a slog.

Really hope you find something the three of you enjoy.
  • Options
    Go to Welling/Dartford/Bromley/Dulwich.

Keep up the "habit" of going to football regularly, it's easy to fall out of it and before you know it your lad is spending his Saturday's at Bluewater with his mates and only seeing football on Sky on a Sunday, telling people how he "used to support Charlton when him and his Dad had season tickets a few years ago".
  • Options
    You know all those things you do with your son when you're not at the football or in the summer when there's no football?
    Why not have a stab at some of those?
  • Options
    Redskin said:

You know all those things you do with your son when you're not at the football or in the summer when there's no football?
    Why not have a stab at some of those?

You might even find you enjoy the alternative things that you do.

President, if you continue with that logic you'll make yourself look silly. You asked the question, presumably, because you expected most fans to have the same moral code as you. We clearly do not and are not likely to change our minds with continued digs. I'm convinced that you had the best intentions but, seriously, I'd drop it if I were you.

• Options
    I'm in the same boat as Edgeley and have 4 to entertain and with Saturday mornings footy training for two of them gonna be tough getting to many away games

My family routine has been disrupted due to this regime if only my disruption was limited to a leaflet at my door , poor diddums
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its Dulwich Hamlet for me. £10 to get in and a beer whilst watching the game.
  • Options
    Probably Bromley... just down the road and you never know, we could be playing them in a couple of seasons time!
  • Options
    I've got Sutton United and Carshalton Athletic on my doorstep, so will probably take in a few of their games until the current regime have gone.
  • Options
    Probably Maidstone United for me. That is if I can get in as they will be playing to near capacity crowds.
  • Options
    tallboy said:

Its Dulwich Hamlet for me. £10 to get in and a beer whilst watching the game.

Dulwich are just down the road from me but I can't see myself going more than once or twice. I can't summon up the passion when watching football for anyone other than Charlton.
  • Options
    I have a feeling that if we start well in div one the fans will slowly start coming back
  • Options
    Will take in VCD and pheonix having just discovered they are both in Crayford and easy to get to, among others. Charlton for protests and some aways only until they are gone.
  • Options
    I'm with you Steve, I go with my 10 and 13 year olds. We will drink before the game, support the protests and watch Charlton. My kids wont always be this age. It's in my blood and I wont let it not be in theirs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't watch another team other than Charlton week in week out. I do like going to neutral games every now and then. But not on a regular basis.

As mentioned by an earlier poster, there are plenty of other things to fill in the time with your kids.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Looks like it will be a Welling season ticket for me and away games

Likewise, I'll probably go and see Welling as they're more or less our sister club. Bromley have got more of an association with Palace.

• Options
    It's walking a balance here of not supporting the regime but also not alienating the young supporters for good. It's alright for us oldies - we have Charlton in our blood but they don't. They'll only drift and find another team. Think about that. The regime will eventually go but Charlton will endure. Like I said, it's a balance.
  • Options
    Numbers said:

I'm with you Steve, I go with my 10 and 13 year olds. We will drink before the game, support the protests and watch Charlton. My kids wont always be this age. It's in my blood and I wont let it not be in theirs.

Exactly we could lose a generation of fans if we let them, it ain't happening if I have anything to do without.
  • Options
    I'm going back to uni in September so that much further away and other things going on on Saturdays makes it much less difficult not going. I will however still be sure to make the trip when there is a big protest planned. Love causing some havoc!
  • Options

Numbers said:

Exactly we could lose a generation of fans if we let them, it ain't happening if I have anything to do without.

Fair play Steve.

The difficulty in my opinion is the club don't appear to want the passionate Charlton fanatics that my two boys are and no doubt you and your family are too. The type of kid who is ecstatic after a victory, or in a foul mood after a loss. Who belts out VFR and other songs and loves his club so much that he made his own protest banner with felt tips and a flag.

Instead they seem to want the customer who will come along, buy a bit of food and drink, have a chat with some friends, have a go at winning a seat on a sofa, wave at a pie camera, watch the game, cheer the odd goal, shrug off an opposition goal because there are some talented/hard working academy youngsters playing, and then go home feeling largely indifferent about the result because they had an "entertaining" afternoon.

I can't contribute towards funding that, and to be honest, my eldest son is old enough to understand and agree.

Anyway, reading threads on here, I think I might take em fishing or cycling or something.

• Options

Numbers said:

Fair play Steve.

The difficulty in my opinion is the club don't appear to want the passionate Charlton fanatics that my two boys are and no doubt you and your family are too. The type of kid who is ecstatic after a victory, or in a foul mood after a loss. Who belts out VFR and other songs and loves his club so much that he made his own protest banner with felt tips and a flag.

Instead they seem to want the customer who will come along, buy a bit of food and drink, have a chat with some friends, have a go at winning a seat on a sofa, wave at a pie camera, watch the game, cheer the odd goal, shrug off an opposition goal because there are some talented/hard working academy youngsters playing, and then go home feeling largely indifferent about the result because they had an "entertaining" afternoon.

I can't contribute towards funding that, and to be honest, my eldest son is old enough to understand and agree.

Anyway, reading threads on here, I think I might take em fishing or cycling or something.

Accurate....depressing.

• Options

My 11 year old son stated to me yesterday that he agrees not to renew. This was quite a pinnacle and sad moment in our house -I love taking him and his bro (a boycotter since January) down the Valley, and so it's a ritual destroyed for us (been going for 6 years with him).

He (the son) trains on a Saturday morning until midday, so away games are limited to the south east.

How do I fill the void? He has said, not prompted from me, that he is willing to protest outside, but what fun is that for an 11 year old kid?

Non-League groundhopping is the way forward.
  • Options
    These people have taken our club away from us.

I'll go to the odd non-league neutral game now and then maybe.