Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackburn delay on landing Rochdale boss stirs interest from Charlton Athletic

Charlton have expressed an interest in Keith Hill - but Blackburn remain in pole position for the Rochdale boss.
Rovers are thought to be slow in pushing through a deal and that has opened the door for the Addicks to enter the mix.
But Charlton already failed to entice Sheffield-born Chris Wilder when he decided to leave Northampton, as he eventually made the move back to his home city to become the new United manager.

And Hill is another that has been based in the north since moving into the dugout in 2006. The Bolton-born 47-year-old has had two spells in charge of Rochdale as well as a stint with Barnsley.
Hill has twice won promotion with Rochdale from League Two - in 2010 and 2014.
Charlton chief executive Katrien Meire has already stated the plan is to bring in a British boss for the first time since Roland Duchatelet bought the club.
But there remains a whole heap of jobs to do for the under-fire Belgian regime, who have still not appointed a head of recruitment.

Lennie Lawrence is also thought to have other options. He was interviewed about a director of football role but it has not been followed up with an offer.

Charlton have made getting a boss a priority before they move on to other roles at the club - with a whole raft of important positions not filled.

This post match interview does have me screaming with excitement if I'm honest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsxDr1IjNUM

Comments

• We all know how this goes...
  • edited May 2016
    The interview start was just weird, not inspiring at all. The story screams of an agent trying to get more money out of Blackburn by inventing interest from Charlton. Thinking back some of Curbs' post match interviews were probably just as bad :-)
  • I doubt Keith Hill will ever be a success at a club that isn't Rochdale.

A bit like Eddie Howe, but at a lower level.
  • Blackburn always chicken out in the end.
  • Keith "double-denim" Hill @Riscardo will be well pleased.
  • very well thought of up here, but down south????????????
  • Chasing managers from Northampton and Rochdale. Brilliant!

You mean the League One type of experienced Manager that everyone is calling for?
  • Sponsored links:

• What about a bloke called Chris Powell? available, British, excellent record in League 1 and also Championship experience.

Never heard of him. Any good?
  • What about a bloke called Chris Powell? available, British, excellent record in League 1 and also Championship experience.

haha ..... I believe Roland is fully aware of Chris Powell's feelings towards him.

• I like a football manager who hits a certain point and then just completely lets himself go. I remember when Keith Hill joined Barnsley he looked like a neat office supply salesman, as every lower league manager should. By the end he looked like he was living out of a caravan he parked on a nearby building site. Got a lot of time for that. Sign him up

He wanted to fit in with the locals
  • In all honesty I reckon the manager of the Burkina Faso women's team would take one look at out current regime and apply for the vacant Libya national team job.
  • We need to be realistic.

How many British managers with good Championship experience are going to want to come?

For me, the focus on being British is a bit of a red herring. We just need somebody who's up to the task. The risk is in the club's desperation to go British to appease the fans, we'll end up with somebody at a much lower level than we could get from Europe.

That's not to say I want another Network nobody - but surely we should be considering all sensible options?
  • Jodaius said:

We need to be realistic.

How many British managers with good Championship experience are going to want to come?

For me, the focus on being British is a bit of a red herring. We just need somebody who's up to the task. The risk is in the club's desperation to go British to appease the fans, we'll end up with somebody at a much lower level than we could get from Europe.

That's not to say I want another Network nobody - but surely we should be considering all sensible options?

I agree, and we seem to be after managers who have spent a fair amount of time in League Two or League One without pulling up any trees.

I don't think the desire for a British manager is to appease fans. I don't think they care. I think that they've been told that the only way to get back up straight away is to bring in a British manager, ala Chris Powell and what he did a few years ago. But what Powell did was very much the exception rather than the rule. Given the candidates on offer, or at least the ones we're after who might be able to be convinced to come here, it makes no sense to me to go after a British manager. We're better off giving a successful manager on the continent their first crack at English football, like Swansea and Brighton have done successfully in recent times.

I don't know where they're getting these names from (Lennie Lawrence), but it seems as though they're trying to cherry pick decent League Two managers and hope they can make the step up. Again, it seems to be doing things either on the cheap, or without fully understanding what they're doing, or both.
  • Jodaius said:

We need to be realistic.

Katrien pursuing an alternative career?
  • Sponsored links:

• I can just about handle Charlton chasing former Halifax Town managers but Rochdale??.....Give me strength.
  • Oggy Red said:

What about a bloke called Chris Powell? available, British, excellent record in League 1 and also Championship experience.

haha ..... I believe Roland is fully aware of Chris Powell's feelings towards him.

One way to sell season tickets and bring an end to ongoing protests would be to appoint CP and back him as he should done when he bought the club.
  • Brian Clough was manager of Hartlepool when Derby hired him.

Being a manager of a lower league club doesn't make them unsuitable especially as we are now a lower league club.

Better than a Belgium 3rd division manager anyway.

But that was a completely different era, going on 40 years ago. I'd rather we hire the ghost of Valeriy Lobanovskyi who had a far more lasting impact on the game.
  • Keith Hill is a decent manager at the level. Likes to play attacking football too.

Not sure he will 'buy into' Roland's model though but which self respecting manager would?
  • We'll be getting Simon Clark, nailed on
  • Chasing managers from Northampton and Rochdale. Brilliant!

You mean the League One type of experienced Manager that everyone is calling for?
    in my opinion we need a Manager who can get us out of League One AND do a decent job in the Championship. We need to be forward thinking and let a Manager build on, hopefully, his success. Whether British or Foreign isn't important but they must have managerial experience at least League 1 level, preferably Championship too.
    As our head coaches usually only last 9 months, what's the point in worrying about the season after next!

• T.C.E said:

This must be based on the clubs theory that if Blackburn are after him he must be good.

If we appoint Shebby Singh in any capacity then that will definitely confirm that Katrien and Roland are totally bonkers!!!