Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

24hrs in police custody C4

Love this programme but the most recent is a must watch for any young person or anybody with a teenager/young adult.
It's called One Punch which is pretty self explanatory.
I had mates involved in something similar aged between 14 and 18 about 20years ago.

Gonna make my kids watch it.

If you get the time try and watch this episode.

Comments

• Saw it. Thought it was really powerful TV. They should show it in schools to 6th formers.
  • The show is hit and miss imo.
    One week fantastic insight to interesting case, the next is very boring and slow.

One Punch was incredibly eye opening, how many fights are there each week outside pubs/clubs?
    So easy to happen.

The guy from that episode gets sentenced this Friday I believe.
  • Watched it, so true what one of the officers said about how you tend to believe the first account you hear. Felt sympathy for the lad as he seemed genuine and decent then find out he was completely lying. Should've just done a 'no comment' interview, wouldn't have changed the outcome but would've looked less of a twat.
  • Talal said:

Watched it, so true what one of the officers said about how you tend to believe the first account you hear. Felt sympathy for the lad as he seemed genuine and decent then find out he was completely lying. Should've just done a 'no comment' interview, wouldn't have changed the outcome but would've looked less of a twat.

To be fair his first statement would've stood up if there weren't so many witnesses. Especially some sober bouncers who heard words and saw the build-up etc.

Manslaughter seems harsh on the face of it but it's took the boys life, it has to be a somewhat harsh penalty but can't be murder as there's no such concrete info to show it so.

It was a good watch, all kids should be taught about the consequences that can follow a simple punch. In this case it was an upper cut that knocked him clean out (not sure the show mentioned the type of punch) but it would have knocked his head back, knocked him out and the consequent head bash against the floor done the real damage. Poor lad, went for a night out and never to return.
  • Very interesting programme. Some are a bit slow but I enjoy seeing the whole process. Will be interesting to see how long he gets.
  • Excellent series - have watched them all! Thanks TVChaos!!
  • Talal said:

Watched it, so true what one of the officers said about how you tend to believe the first account you hear. Felt sympathy for the lad as he seemed genuine and decent then find out he was completely lying. Should've just done a 'no comment' interview, wouldn't have changed the outcome but would've looked less of a twat.

To be fair his first statement would've stood up if there weren't so many witnesses. Especially some sober bouncers who heard words and saw the build-up etc.

Manslaughter seems harsh on the face of it but it's took the boys life, it has to be a somewhat harsh penalty but can't be murder as there's no such concrete info to show it so.

It was a good watch, all kids should be taught about the consequences that can follow a simple punch. In this case it was an upper cut that knocked him clean out (not sure the show mentioned the type of punch) but it would have knocked his head back, knocked him out and the consequent head bash against the floor done the real damage. Poor lad, went for a night out and never to return.
    But if there weren't so many witnesses he wouldn't have needed to make a statement anyway. No comment would've sufficed as the police wouldn't have been able to prove anything.
  • edited May 2016
    I saw "One Punch" - very eye opening.

I don't necessarily think the fella was deliberately lying with his first interview, he was just painting a picture from his side of things and (conveniently) left a few things out. And bearing in mind he gave his statement before the other fella croaked it, it kinda puts a slightly different slant on what he was saying - or wasn't saying.

That's the thing that really came across. Everyone can have a slightly different take on things and the Old Bills job is to take each account and piece it together to try to establish what REALLY happened, not what people may have thought happened or have convinced themselves happened after the event.

They did it really well in this case. But everyone can probably think of instances where they haven't done it so well.

• Also, I do think the manslaughter charge sounded a bit steep, but I guess that's the law.

If he hadn't hit him he probably wouldn't have fallen over and hit his head - although it's of course possible that he could have still just fallen over and hit his head anyway without being touched.

• So the guy waited for the victim after slagging him off as he walked past, ran off laughing , lied and said he had no choice as the victim made it obvious he was going to assault him--- but people think he was " a good lad" " unlucky re the CCTV". ----- WTF !! He took a totally innocent guys life FFS
  • Sponsored links:

• So the guy waited for the victim after slagging him off as he walked past, ran off laughing , lied and said he had no choice as the victim made it obvious he was going to assault him--- but people think he was " a good lad" " unlucky re the CCTV". ----- WTF !! He took a totally innocent guys life FFS

Because he spoke well, was well educated and didn't put a foot wrong/was very polite when in custody. You have to not be blinded by any of this and look at the actions, what he done on the night caused that guy to die. He went to cause him harm and it led to his death.

'The unlawful killing of a human being without any deliberation, which may be involuntary, in the commission of a lawful act without due caution and circumspection.'

It's manslaughter. Not harsh. Punch hard enough and it can kill someone, he didn't tap him on the head or slap him.
  • I hope he gets twenty years, but expect he'll get two.
  • Quality tv. Really enjoy this programme, watched the last series and that was a good watch.
    Thought the Detectives last night were top class, I had made my mind up the lad was just acting in self defence with a bolshy Eastern European!........................Bloody good job I'm a cab driver and not 'old bill!!'
  • I've no idea if it's still available but if you like 24hrs there was a program called The Prosecutors on the BBC last month which followed the CPS. Equally compelling.
  • red_murph said:

I've no idea if it's still available but if you like 24hrs there was a program called The Prosecutors on the BBC last month which followed the CPS. Equally compelling.

Was much better in my opinion.
  • I knew a lad who "over-celebrated" his 18th - threw one punch and got 20 years.
    All young lads should watch this episode as suggested.
  • Great show . Probably the only good thing to come out of Luton

Where abouts do you live @Bedsaddick ? I'm in Bedfordshire (just), near Shefford (not far from Hitchin).

Because he spoke well, was well educated and didn't put a foot wrong/was very polite when in custody. You have to not be blinded by any of this and look at the actions, what he done on the night caused that guy to die. He went to cause him harm and it led to his death.

'The unlawful killing of a human being without any deliberation, which may be involuntary, in the commission of a lawful act without due caution and circumspection.'

It's manslaughter. Not harsh. Punch hard enough and it can kill someone, he didn't tap him on the head or slap him.
    well said AA..

• Great tv, filmed where I grew up... Seeing people I went to school with feature in there makes me glad I moved to Devon 14 years ago !
  • Sponsored links:

• What sentence did he get?
  • ChiAddick said:

What sentence did he get?

That's Friday

Where abouts do you live @Bedsaddick ? I'm in Bedfordshire (just), near Shefford (not far from Hitchin).
    I'm in Biggleswade. Not far at all !
  • ChiAddick said:

What sentence did he get?

The sent him to Devon ;)

Sounds like somewhere on the Yorkshire dales, not just outside Luton

Sounds like somewhere on the Yorkshire dales, not just outside Luton
    I suppose it does. Thankfully we are the other side of the county from Luton !
  • edited May 2016
    Just watched this on 4OD .. Cortney Batchelor should have been charged with murder and the 'hangers on' without whom it is doubtful he would have had the courage to throw the punch at a man who was alone, they should be charged with assault or obstructing the course of justice at the very least .. Cortney is a coward and should be banged up for at least 10 years .. he'll probably get 3 years and will be out and laughing in 18 months .. British Justice ..
  • Just watched this on 4OD .. Cortney Batchelor should have been charged with murder and the 'hangers on' without whom it is doubtful he would have had the courage to throw the punch at a man who was alone, they should be charged with assault or obstructing the course of justice at the very least .. Cortney is a coward and should be banged up for at least 10 years .. he'll probably get 3 years and will be out and laughing in 18 months .. British Justice ..

Oh give over
  • Four years.
  • se9addick said:

Four years.

Sounds about fair.