Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should it be top 3 promoted?

2»

Comments

• Options
    easy no
  • Options
    No. The only possible change would be to make the semis one leg and give the higher placed team home advantage.
  • Options

No. The only possible change would be to make the semis one leg and give the higher placed team home advantage.

Like this idea
  • Options
    Didn't Palarse get promoted by winning the play offs after finishing 6th? For that reason alone I think they should be banned and top 3 go up.
  • Options
    No.

The only thing I would change is to allow the 3rd placed team to go straight through to the play-off final, where they play the winner of the seni-final, which is between the 4th-placed team and the winner of the 5th v 6th places match.

That way, the higher-placed teams get a proportionately better chance of being promoted.
  • Options
    Relegation fodder from upper league should play promotion prospects from league below, with an away goals rule and golden goal following extra time. The points total of the team above should be deducted from the team below and the aggregate scores should be divided by the away goals over the course of the season to create an accurate representation of the performance of the respective teams. The winners should then be asked to undertake an open-topped bus parade around their home town on a busy shopping Saturday and the winner will be the one who attracts most confused looking neutrals.

Obvious.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

The introduction of the playoffs is probably the single best thing that's happened in English football ever.

Apart from the backpass rule.
    Have you seen any of the games from the 80's recently - what boring tosh as centre back passes to centre back and then to the keeper.
    And the fairly recent Off-side change, the one that is so simple but no one in amateur football understands and when it was introduced even Prem managers said they didn't understand. Still hear people today say they prefered the old law....."if you're offside, you're offside". NO!!!!!!!!

As for the play offs, they are not unfair as everyone knows the rules at the beginning of the season. However I'd like to see the third from bottom in the above league in it instead of 6th place in the league below.
  • Options
    No...we had to go through being third from bottom and having to play second division sides back in Lennies' day. The second division sides had nothing to lose in kicking first division pansies off the pitch. Seem to remember a pretty ordinary Ipswich side clobbering anything in red when we played at Selhurst. The play offs for the premier league have offered more exciting matches (with more at stake) than the FA Cup final. Only only has to remember a May afternoon in 1998 when fourth place pipped third place by one kick.
  • Options
    so 3rd in championship vs 18th in prem?
  • Options
    It would kill the season for most of the teams in the division. No.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Screw fairness. Football is an entertainment. Plain and simple.

The playoffs are nearly always the most entertaining part of the whole season. The Football League would mad to get rid of them.
  • Options

No...we had to go through being third from bottom and having to play second division sides back in Lennies' day. The second division sides had nothing to lose in kicking first division pansies off the pitch. Seem to remember a pretty ordinary Ipswich side clobbering anything in red when we played at Selhurst. The play offs for the premier league have offered more exciting matches (with more at stake) than the FA Cup final. Only only has to remember a May afternoon in 1998 when fourth place pipped third place by one kick.

Well that was I reffering to, the classic Leeds trilogy, no need for Wembley. Also surely Charlton need help staying in a division rather than promotion.
  • Options

Maybe to make it even more interesting they should state that the bottom two sides go down automatically whilst the next four sides above them also go into a Play-Off with the losers from that going down

Quite possibly the best idea I've ever heard mooted as far as changes to the game are concerned.
  • Options
    No, but in my view the 3rd team should go straight to the final with 5th v 6th and then 4th v the winner to decide the other finalist. That way you have to beat all the teams above you to go up.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It is the ONLY way Brighton will EVER go up. They must be the biggest chokers in the league and I thought we were bad!

However the 3rd place straight to the final idea is solid imho.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Maybe to make it even more interesting they should state that the bottom two sides go down automatically whilst the next four sides above them also go into a Play-Off with the losers from that going down

Quite possibly the best idea I've ever heard mooted as far as changes to the game are concerned.
    Prey tell, how do you find a loser out of four sides? Short of them all playing six more games and having a mini-league how do you pick the worst side out of them in a playoff?

You can have three losers out of four, i.e. one winner, but if you don't do that how do you distinguish between the three teams that don't win the play off?
  • Options
    The top 20 in League One should be promoted next season. That way, we'd stand a chance.
  • Options
    Yes. A team finishing 6th can get promoted? Rewarding mediocrity at it's finest.
  • Options

It is the ONLY way Brighton will EVER go up. They must be the biggest chokers in the league and I thought we were bad!

However the 3rd place straight to the final idea is solid imho.

Didn't Ipswich fail in the playoffs for about 3/4 years and then finally made it.

Yes. A team finishing 6th can get promoted? Rewarding mediocrity at it's finest.

Unless we finish 6th, then it's fine.
  • Options

Prey tell, how do you find a loser out of four sides? Short of them all playing six more games and having a mini-league how do you pick the worst side out of them in a playoff?

You can have three losers out of four, i.e. one winner, but if you don't do that how do you distinguish between the three teams that don't win the play off?
    I'm not here to find solutions :smile:

It sounds good on paper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The top 20 in League One should be promoted next season. That way, we'd stand a chance.

You know we'd still finish 21st right?
  • Options
    Going off topic but I've always liked the idea of 4-7th in the PL having a playoff for the last Champions League spot. It would mean that almost every team in the division had a realistic hope of qualifying for the Champions League at the start of the season and it would break the big 4 stranglehold (this season being the exception that proves the rule).
  • Options

Going off topic but I've always liked the idea of 4-7th in the PL having a playoff for the last Champions League spot. It would mean that almost every team in the division had a realistic hope of qualifying for the Champions League at the start of the season and it would break the big 4 stranglehold (this season being the exception that proves the rule).

I've always liked this idea too... If not 4th / 7th then have it between 4th / 5th / FA Cup / League Cup Winners.
  • Options

problem is weaker teams going in and going out earlier means we could lose places.
  • Options

problem is weaker teams going in and going out earlier means we could lose places.
    Good point. I hadn't considered that.
  • Options

Good point. I hadn't considered that.
    i too think its a good idea but from the placings point of view its a bugger.
  • Options

Just reverse the qualification criteria .

The losers of the two semi finals go to the final and the loser of the final goes down
  • Options
    Yet at the same time it might allow teams like Southampton to not only keep players like Victor Wanyama because they can potentially guarantee European Football whilst each Premier League club whether it be Man City or Norwich have more to spend on players than any of the European Giants thanks to the Television deals.

So based on that it'll mean that bigger players will want to join Southampton because of the prospect of Champions League Football, its the only reason they really struggle to attract them at the moment
  • Options

Just reverse the qualification criteria .

The losers of the two semi finals go to the final and the loser of the final goes down
    Yes, that would work very well. I like it.

I like it a lot!