Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++++ Official manager rumours thread! ++++ (ed. Slade confirmed)

Thought I'd get this going, let's have a rumours of new managers in the same place.

So far we have been rejected by Chris Wilder.

Steve Coterill, Lee Clarke and Billy Davies have been mentioned.

Other options Noble Vinegar or Simon Clarke.

Personally I'd go for Andy Hughes. Young, English, knows the league well and knows exactly what is needed to get put of it. Has been at the club before and had a good affinity with the fans. Is coaching in the premier league with you know who and I've always thought he had the personality for a managers role. Learnt from the best (SCP) and most importantly (for RD/KM) he will be fairly cheap.

I don't see why he shouldn't be considered, if Simon Clarke is being talked about well Hughes has more first team coaching experience and at a higher level.

Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    You need to change 'Manager' to 'Head Coach'
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Good point that. Although in the statements regarding Wilder I noticed the club used the term manager rather than head coach.
  • Options
    Surely he hasn't used up all of his hareem of coaches already.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

I remember when Murrary gave Dowie the "head coach" role.....A trend setter to this day.

Andy Hughes may not be a bad shout. His pros and cons of what he would bring, would vary a lot. Id take a risk on him. It couldn't possibly get any worse.

The club is a circus though. Vicious circle going on here.
  • Options
    Nathan Jones would be my pick. But he has experience of the people running, or rather ruining club, so won't come back while they're still here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Others that have been mentioned.

Daryl Clarke of Bristol Rovers
    John Carver
    Nigel Adkins
    Daryl McMahon of Ebbsfleet was at the last game of the season with Peter Varney.
    Malky Mackay

Gareth Ainsworth - A friend of mine has been banging on about him for the last week absolutely convinced he will be the new manager.

• Options
    Di cannio, done well with Swindon in league two getting them straight back up
  • Options
    Di Canio ticks a lot of boxes, from the continent, batshit crazy, controversial, (that's RD's preferences covered) knows the league and knows the club (what we actually need)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Are these rumours are just managers we'd like? Only four I've heard linked are Clarke, Adkins, Davies and Cotterill.
  • Options

Ben18 said:

Good point that. Although in the statements regarding Wilder I noticed the club used the term manager rather than head coach.
    As I said on the Wilder thread, my reliable source who is a friend of Wilder, said RD would not use the term 'manager' only 'head coach' in the contract.
    How about John Stills who is back at Dagenham. Knows these leagues really well.
  • Options
    Neal Ardley from AFC Wimbledon wouldnt be a bad shout either...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016

Ben18 said:

As I said on the Wilder thread, my reliable source who is a friend of Wilder, said RD would not use the term 'manager' only 'head coach' in the contract.
    How about John Stills who is back at Dagenham. Knows these leagues really well.
    I fancied John Still as manager five years ago .. but suspect nowadays that he's well past it ..

this is a 'would like' and not a rumour .. Steve Cotterill for me out of the few who have been cited as possibles
  • Options
    KR is a massive cheb, no ta
  • Options
    17th May 1933 - Clapton Orient Manager Jimmy Seed linked with Charlton's Secretary/Manager role - Daily Sketch
  • Options
    Also heard Justin Edinburgh mentioned. Though not sure why he would leave Gills for us as they will undoubtedly finish higher than us next year.
  • Options
    Like the sound of Andy Hughes though doubt Meire would.
  • Options
    If we want to go up I believe we need a manager who is experienced with a proven and successful record. This is not the time or the opportunity to give anyone a go who maybe OK. Both we and the players have had enough of this I think.

The best candidates that may take the job are for me - Adkins, Parkinson, Cotterill and Lambert. The latter being my choice.

• Options

Also heard Justin Edinburgh mentioned. Though not sure why he would leave Gills for us as they will undoubtedly finish higher than us next year.

Doubt Penfold would release him for talks with us either
  • Options

Like the sound of Andy Hughes though doubt Meire would.

Yes the flip side is he knows what this regime is like first hand. So no doubt wouldn't give them the time of day.

Why leave a cushy job in the premier league for a basket case in league one? Well actually he does work for a w***er and at palace so he might consider it.