Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    good to see
  • Options
    We have more youngsters signed up than the local scout group.
  • Options
    Player with potential, but not ready quite yet.
    Hope it won't be a case of another one exploited and set back.
  • Options
    I've not seen him play but reports seem positive. Good he's prepared to commit for a few more years, hopefully the current shower will have gone soon and he can achieve his potential with us.
  • Options
    Feel for him
  • Options

So, with no manager, no chief scout etc. etc. you know the drill... Who is making the decision to sign academy players on 3 year contracts?
  • Options
    Jason Euall?
  • Options
    Missed It said:

So, with no manager, no chief scout etc. etc. you know the drill... Who is making the decision to sign academy players on 3 year contracts?

Simon Clark = new head coach
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

Yes, these is the decision normally made by the manager or DOF.

A decent sounding player, though with his hair he's always going to stand out on the pitch, just like Barnsley Boris always used to.
  • Options
    Poor lad. Raised to be a Charlton fan and now under contract.
  • Options

Missed It said:

At least he will know which players we need to keep .
  • Options

Missed It said:

At least he will know which players we need to keep .
    Come on, you know it's not the manager / head coach / puppets call.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Player with potential, but not ready quite yet.
    Hope it won't be a case of another one exploited and set back.

Let's hope he hurries up then, because he'll be needed on 6th August.
  • Options
    Will be very surprised if he's not involved at some stage next season, especially as he's traveled with the First-Team on a few occasions this season.

Isnt Tom Lapslie (Colchester) his Brother?
  • Options
    Looked good for the under 18's last week, a good commanding captain
  • Options
    He's certainly highly thought of at the club so I am glad he's signed because there were clubs sniffing around him
  • Options
    In regards to the amount of Midfield roles there are these days, would you say he was like the following;

Jordan Cousins; in the sense that he'll run all day from box to box
    Diego Poyet; in the sense that he'll sit in front of the back four picking out the passes to start attacks
    Astrit Ajdarevic; Playing further up the pitch yet being instrumental for our creativity etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In regards to the amount of Midfield roles there are these days, would you say he was like the following;

Diego Poyet; in the sense that he'll sit in front of the back four picking out the passes to start attacks
    Astrit Ajdarevic; Playing further up the pitch yet being instrumental for our creativity etc.

AKA CM CDM or CAM

;- )
  • Options
    Of those three he is more like Cousins, but not the greatest comparison because Cousins is so much more developed, and to think George is a ready made replacement for Cousins to slot in would be a mistake.
    For me George and Jordan both think like footballers if you get my drift, and play accordingly, both very good team men and the kind of player needed to knit a team together.
  • Options
    Good news, have heard and read good things about him. Lucky chap, a professional football contract, it is what most of us would have one day dreamed of. I doubt he cares too much about the wider politics more a) how much he will be paid, b) what his coaching and facilties are like, c) what are his chances of getting in the first team.
  • Options

I watched most of the u18s stream the other night, they played a diamond midfield (which they generally have all season as far as I know). Lapslie was one of the two in the middle.

I'd agree Lapslie is more like Cousins but from the few games I've seen of Lapslie he's smaller, not as strong but perhaps a bit more technical and more likely to get a goal.

Of the other midfielders Bone was much more like Poyet. Played as the DM, talls and looks fairly strong, like Poyet he's not the quickest, likes to spray the ball about, tries the longer range passes. I hope we'll hear news of him signing a pro deal soon as well.
  • Options
    The more and more youngsters signing pro deals or "long term deals" suggests the limited transfer activity we will see this summer IMO...
    Recon it will be heavily reliant on the youngsters
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It would be a shame if he is not managed well. I don't think players such as Piggott, Harriott, THD, KAG, Kennedy and RCC have been nurtured and brought on as they ought to have been (there are others too). It is all well and good looking to the academy, but young player development ought to be meshed into the U18's, the U21's and also the first team with great care, absolutely not as desperate measures like Lennon because there is no cover, or Lookman who was basically expected to save Charlton last season.

It's always the thing with young players though, when DO you blood them? Usually, it's due to desperation, sometimes they sink and and sometimes they float. If Man U had spent their money wiser, and had a couple of top quality strikers, would Rashford (18) have got a chance? Similarly Iheanacho (19) at City.

Lennon is 21 now, so at the age when he ought to be knocking on the door of the first team, while Lookman was doing so well for the U21s that it became impossible to leave him out.

I agree that many of the others were pushed into first team duty too soon, but in the case of Piggott you suspect that he's found his genuine level now.
  • Options
    There needs to be a balance which is somewhere between Pardew's oversized 07/08 Championship squad and Roland's undersized squads of the last two years.
  • Options
    Very impressed with what I have seen of him. Still plays for U18's but comfortable for U 21's where I would expect him to stay next year. Great potential but won't be ready for first team next year.
    Reminded me of an early Scott Parker type than a Cousins - as a Charlton player before he became a more of a holding player
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

The more and more youngsters signing pro deals or "long term deals" suggests the limited transfer activity we will see this summer IMO...
    Recon it will be heavily reliant on the youngsters

I think half the team will be.
  • Options
    Good player, but like some already blooded not yet ready for first team action.

Well behind Regan Charles Cook in the midfield pecking order at this stage imo.