Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deep Purple

Comments

• Options
    I will be attending the O2 gig in November.
  • Options
    I am at the concert in Madrid tonight, waiting for them to come on. Very excited!
  • Options
    They're probably just revving up the mobility scooters and getting the defibrillator warmed up.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

They're probably just revving up the mobility scooters and getting the defibrillator warmed up.

And that's just the groupies.
  • Options

I am at the concert in Madrid tonight, waiting for them to come on. Very excited!

How was it?
  • Options
    It was actually great and very energetic but it was the only concert I have ever been to where the queue for the men's toilets was ten times as long as the women's!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Ian Gillian can't really hit the high notes but he gave it a good go. Steve Morse is a brilliant guitarist and Ian Paice is still a monster on the drums. He looked absolutely knackered though!
  • Options
    Great stuff. Going to see them in November at o2. Seems generally true that singer's vocal cords go on the high notes while guitarists can go on. The last time I saw the Who, quite a few numbers were adapted to Daltreys voice.
  • Options
    Worth getting the new album before you go as they played quite a few songs from it. I actually like it so was happy when they played the new stuff live. Other than that it the set list was pretty much Made in Japan!
  • Options
    thanks for the tip
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jo Whiley presents Deep Purple on Radio 2 in concert, tomorrow at 20:00. (Red button satellite and cable).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09djvnf
  • Options
    Made in Japan is my favourite DP album. Can’t wait to hear Lazy.
  • Options
    Was really impressed when I saw them this year, and Ritchie Blackmore's replacement Steve Morse was superb.
  • Options
    Made in Japan is my favourite DP album. Can’t wait to hear Lazy.
  • Options
    Anybody know when they are due on stage on Thursday at o2?
    @CharltonMadrid - how long a set did they do in Madrid?
  • Options
    It was a good couple of hours and a pleasingly varied setlist, both new and old.
  • Options

Planet Rock just had a poll of the top 40 rock riffs of all time, and all 40 were played this afternoon ..
    guess what was numero uno ?

Six months on and no serious answer, so I'll state the obvious: Smoke on the Water. Though I'd like to think Black Night would be good for a top forty place as well.
  • Options
    A couple of days ago, I watched the set they did for the BBC recently. It confirms for me that the problem with old bands is the vocalist, although Black Night was still ace.
  • Options

It was a good couple of hours and a pleasingly varied setlist, both new and old.

thanks

• Options
    How was the O2 gig?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Very good thanks, but old and new stuff. No Highway Star though!. Played for 1 hour 40 mins and good support from Europe. Interestingly they sold out the o2 this year whereas last year they didn't. Not if this was partly because of new album or was it clever marketing calling it the LOng Goodbye tour and people thinking it would be the last chance to see them. Not that they have ever said it will be their last tour.
    Good mix of ages attending; obviously weighted to us old relics but a good turnout from younger fans as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The band good but Gillan is spent. He looked liked an old man moving around the stage of which he is. A great opening which included Fireball. Old favourites interspersed the new album such as Space Trucking, Lazy and Smoke on the Water. A disappointing rendition of Black Knight for the encore which included a bass solo. I left feeling a little disappointed on leaving but then stopped comparing from days of old and thought it wasn’t that bad at all considering.

I only managed to see the last two tracks of Catz in Space and thought they were okay. Europe were of course better and played some off their new album - mixed views on them. Went and got another drink when they performed Eye of the tiger.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Agree that Gillan struggled when I saw them earlier this year. He was better on the newer material, which is less of a strain on his voice. He probably can't do Highway Star regularly though I've seen it has been on the setlist for some of the tour. Seems that Child in Time was retired quite a while ago.

Probably be good if this is the final tour though, but it would be great if they could pull off one big final concert for the 50th anniversary next year, and bring in Blackmore and possibly Coverdale/Hughes for some songs before bowing out.
  • Options
    One of the better Purple gigs overall I've seen in 25 years since I saw Captain Grumpy Blackmore sulk off at Brixton Academy, never to be seen again. Rhythm section was immense, Glover especially back to full health. Airey & Morse are at the pinnacle of what they do but tbh there was a little too much aimless self-indulgence for my taste from both. I've never been IG's biggest fan but he performed very well indeed, doing what he does, nothing wrong with his singing, obviously he doesn't reproduce what he recorded 45+ years ago but who could?
    Europe live are excellent and fine entertainment. Auditorium virtually full to see them. A few will always grumble about their scandi absence of irony but that is deliberately missing the point. Tempest & Co definitely take themselves seriously but wtf they dish up top quality and since when was this hard rock thing anything other than guileless escapism? I'm sure Europe on the bill added many thousands to the crowd, thumbs up from me.
    One slight blemish was the monumental fucktard misery guts sat next to me: 1 he turned up late and half pissed, 2 chatted at the top of his effing voice to his (benighted) missus throughout 3 started bellyaching about how many remained seated for SOTW. Look mate 1) if you need to have a chat with someone a fucking noisy rock gig is not the place and especially not when you're sat near me 2) if you want to get up and rock out it's a fucking noisy rock gig so crack on and leave the rest of us be 3) if there's any justice you tripped over your stupid pissed feet and cracked your ugly mug on the stairs on the way out and will never attend another gig anywhere again
  • Options
    What did you think of Steve Morse? I thought he was great, and it was clear that he was having fun and wanted to be there unlike the lord of darkness Blackmore.
  • Options
    Just seen that Glenn Hughes is playing Madrid again on his 'Classic Deep Purple' tour - anyone seen him on that tour or any other gigs and could say if he is worth seeing?
  • Options

Just seen that Glenn Hughes is playing Madrid again on his 'Classic Deep Purple' tour - anyone seen him on that tour or any other gigs and could say if he is worth seeing?

Yes, I saw Glenn play Southampton Engine Rooms on his classic DP tour. Some may not like his funkier soulful approach, but he still has his voice unlike some, no names mentioned. Hugely enjoyable if you like Mk 3&4 Purple. Also played Smoke and Highway Star as he performed them with Purple back in the day (yes, he did sing Georgia in the middle of Smoke). Seriously considering catching him again in Salisbury in March.
  • Options
    Saw ex bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes live a couple of days ago and he was superb. Although I'm not as much of a fan of his short stint with the band (74-76), and doing a Glenn Hughes plays Deep Purple tour seems a bit taking advantage of the band's legacy (which mostly didn't include him), I thought he was excellent - great voice and excellent showman. Only one song from the 'classic' band (the inevitable Smoke on the Water) and other than that all stuff he played on in the mid 70s, including fantastic performances of Burn and Mistreated. Would definitely recommend his show to any classic rock fans when he tours the UK this year.
  • Options
    There is a bungalow in our village called Deep Purple. 
  • Options
    This is old but new to me.  Not bad for a set of imposters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69EcnxJmnd4