Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Belgians

Just signed up here, this is my first post, but have been following the various debates for a while. I'm 55, started supporting in the 69-70 season and was a regular at Selhurst, often walking the 8-9 miles from Blackheath, because I was young and was fit. I was at Wembley against Sunderland and before that St Andrews against Leeds. All that seems a long while ago now of course, but can someone - and this is the purpose of my post - remind me of the circumstances in which the Belgians took us over, on what basis the previous owner sold to them, and if there aren't any legal rules and regulations within English football governance that can be used to hold football club owners to any kind of account? Do English football clubs, which play like Charlton such a major role in the local community, really have to be exposed to the shoddy practices we're seeing now? Is there really no legal protection available to us from the English football powers that be?

A lot of what happens in football I find totally absurd the older I get. It's meant to be a serious sport, this is the home country of football, the country that invented the game, it's a core passion within the English population.....and yet games are still allowed to be refereed on an amateur/incompetent basis, with games more often than not decided more by referee mistakes than by any actions of players; and the clubs within the sport are clearly allowed to be exposed to business incompetence by the likes of the owners CAFC has now, when their business model for running us is clearly a failing one.

I remember the days of Hillsborough when football was openly despised by our political leaders and which of course led to all those shameful deaths due to the cynical uncaring attitude of the authorities. Sure, Hillsborough and Heysel and the Bradford fire and all those other terrible events forced change in terms of the physical safety of fans, but the mistreatment and abuse of fans still clearly exists justin the example of what's happening at The Valley. It seems that nowadays, as long as you don't get actually physically killed by the authorities at a football ground, everything else goes.

ATB all, Dave

Comments

• Options
    Cash didn't want to spend any more of his....money.
  • Options
    Pretty right Covered End, Kevin Cash was always the money, him and honest Tony from Millwall, thought there was a nice land deal in the peninsular, the only reason they bought the club was as a nice little earner!
  • Options
    Whatever happened to Tony Jimenez?

Didn't he come over all peculiar and start writing articles for some E-rag shortly after selling?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Didn't he come over all peculiar and start writing articles for some E-rag shortly after selling?

Found it!

And what a little gem this paragraph is !!

"As custodian of Charlton Athletic, I felt a great responsibility that we should only relinquish control to someone in whom we have faith and feel can make a positive difference to the football club.

This has taken some time, and patience. The majority of interest and offers received has come from timewasters - or people who we did not feel adequately fit those criteria."

I know he wasn't liked, so this was probably the biggest 'UP YOURS!' he could muster.

Well played Tone.

(....Oh for a timewaster!....)
  • Options
    Who made the first contact ,have asked this before but given no answer.

Was it Roland too Charlton

Or was it Charlton too Roland.
  • Options
    Here's a link to the Owners' and Directors Test. Broadly speaking, if you don't have an unspent criminal conviction and you aren't bankrupt, you're in. It doesn't matter if you have no ambition for the club, if you don't have a workable plan or if you simply can't be bothered to attend matches. If you are a fan however, one who's concerned about the future of your club, the league will wag their finger at you and remind you that the integrity of the competition is paramount. Owners though? No worries. They don't have to care about the integrity of the competition. They're free to let a club drop like a stone, to haemorrhage fans and to do untold damage that will take decades to recover from. They can do what they like, League officials like to focus on positives only. Burnley and Middlesbrough: great success stories, let's get behind them. Charlton, Bolton, Blackpool: forget 'em, nobody cares about losers.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    Yup, should have hitched a lift with you Covered End, and I like the person who liked me too! Thanks for the responses guys, very interesting. I live in Germany now and don't get to games that often any more, but the spirit's still there, and I did once put the walking miles in - like walking back all the way from Euston after that Leeds game up at Birmingham, getting home at 3-4 in the morning!
    No chance of Greenwich Council helping out financially then? If you could force all boys living within the Greenwich area to be Charlton fans and make it an offence to support anyone else, and then maybe levy a local CAFC tax from all their parents - that might enable us to take back control of the club. Sorry, I've got no better ideas. Question - how much would someone have to cough up to overtake the club? Whatever the sum, surely there's a few or a couple or at least ONE rich enough supporter out there, with the money it takes? Here's hoping.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    RD says he wants £38M & the Paul Elliot consortium have allegedly offered it, but RD refuses to talk. Go figure.
  • Options

Was he the one who got battoned over the head by a Spanish policeman when watching man city in Europe? Would explain a lot.

• Options

Was he the one who got battoned over the head by a Spanish policeman when watching man city in Europe? Would explain a lot.

That was Slater.
  • Options
    It's funny isn't it...well not really it's actually quite tragic.

Slater and Jiminez were 2 complete dick-heads that messed up financially and could no longer fund the club properly or adequately - thanks. Then obviously they route for the highest bidder for the club (Roland) hence the time wasters comment.

But...

THEY put faith in the right people for Charltons success on the pitch. For the rather limited pocket they had, in comparison to most clubs in the division, on footballing matters they spent well. We over achieved from the resources we had.
    The pitch was a complete state in the end but if they couldn't afford to sort it out...then they couldn't afford to sort it out.

Now, 2 not so great guys like that, have actually taught us a lesson.

Wealth helps, but it doesn't buy success. A relatively normal business brain does.

They were crap but have completely showed this regime up.... on how to run a football club.
  • Options

Slater.

The copper was a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    It is one thing if the owner just loses his own money, but if he pumps debt into the club due to his incompetence, surely systems need to be introduced to stop it.
  • Options

Great first post. I too started supporting Charlton in 1969 & drove to Selhurst from Blackheath (you should have asked for a lift lol).

Jimenez & Slater sold Charlton to Duchatelet, because the money had run out, we were heading for administration and bills were going unpaid. J & S of course didn't have enough money in the first place.

Slater was employed by Kevin Cash (google him) and was the real money man, but didn't want it known.

The rules governing football ownership are the fit & proper rules and only seem to cover illegal activities.

So as long as they do not have unspent criminal convictions (mainly financial I believe), they are free to run the club as they wish. They can be totally incompetent (they are) and the football authorities will not intervene.

The above may not be 100% accurate, but if not it pretty much answers your questions.

Welcome on board.

Interesting point, Wikipedia (I know) says Cash's businesses are worth in excess of £500 mill. Roughly the same figure as RD's.
  • Options
    No, RD's worth 1.2 billion euro ... He came from 1.3 billion but lost " a bit" .
  • Options

RD says he wants £38M & the Paul Elliot consortium have allegedly offered it, but RD refuses to talk. Go figure.

Has he actually said that? I thought that was someones guess work based on him selling to cover his own expenditure / loans. And I never believed the Elliot story.

Frankly anyone who is willing to pay £38m for our club plus take on board the investment needed in the team, lacks financial credibility and needs to stay away!