Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

British manager

What's this constant rhetoric of wanting a 'British manager'? Katrien keeps going on about only appointing British and some fans on here are latching onto the same. Surely it's important to identify an experienced manager who understands the lower leagues. It's very important to make that differentiation in our choice of words

Comments

• RanTooFar said:

What's this constant rhetoric of wanting a 'British manager'? Katrien keeps going on about only appointing British and some fans on here are latching onto the same. Surely it's important to identify an experienced manager who understands the lower leagues. It's very important to make that differentiation in our choice of words

Which in the vast majority of cases, is a British manager.
  • Most "experienced" managers will have several failures on their c.v. I'd go with talented or promising. I'd take a punt on Sutton, Matthew or Nathan Jones, pref the latter.
  • RanTooFar said:

But not in all cases, which is exactly why it's important to differentiate. There are foreign managers out there with relevant knowledge and experience to do better than some British managers.

Most "experienced" managers will have several failures on their c.v. I'd go with talented or promising. I'd take a punt on Sutton, Matthew or Nathan Jones, pref the latter.

Talented or promising are subjective terms. KM could argue that previous managers were promising and lack of experience of the managers you've mentioned does little to differentiate from them as well. The only real difference is knowledge of the lower leagues, which should be reflected in what we say
  • Is this your way of telling us that Katrien is going to appoint Nobby Vinegar?
  • Lee Clark linked on Twitter. Can't find the original source though.
  • I think we should try a Chinese manager- we haven't had one of those yet!

I'd hate it if so but seeing he's already been in charge of Blackpool under the Oystens I reckon he's the only British idiot who'd be prepared to take charge
  • RanTooFar said:

Only two examples non-British League 1 managers I can think of who have successful spells on their CV would be Rosler and Martinez, both of whom played many seasons in England, in Martinez's case mostly at League 1 level. Did Jean Tigana manage Fulham that low down?

The OP is right though, what is important is qualification and experience to do the job, not nationality.
  • I heard Clark on the radio a while back saying his next job has to be the right one. Unless he's desperate I can't see that being us. He's probably still undefeated though.

Paul Lambert for me. We have to at least try and get him. You never know.

Sevenoaks Cronicle
  • Sponsored links:

Sevenoaks Cronicle
    Cheers @LargeAddick
  • Can they say they want a British manager? They can say they want a manager with experience in the British Isles. As a lawyer, she should know better.
  • Yes they want a white british manager who can't get pregnant!
  • Jesus, I'd have Fraeye back over Lee Clarke.
  • Gary monk

No chance!! Going to have to lower the expectations as far as any prospective British manager is concerned. The likes of Monk, Lambert etc surely wouldn't touch this(?).

In fact, it would take a really desperate 'chap' to want to have anything to do with CAFC at present. But money talks I guess and it would pay the bills for a few months.
  • There's good British managers and then there's the Lee Clarkes, Dougie Freedmans, Michael Appletons etc. We will probably end up with the wrong one.
  • Definitely Steve Cotterill
  • There's good British managers and then there's the Lee Clarkes, Dougie Freedmans, Michael Appletons etc. We will probably end up with the wrong one.

Let's get Lee Clark, he should cheer everyone up with his happy persona!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• I would just like a manager who has the ability we so need, the skill of getting the best out of players and independence from interference. I couldn't give a **** if he is North Korean. The exeptions are that he mustn't be Belgian or someone who has ever met Roland.
  • Irrespective of which new manager (chief coach) accepts the poisoned chalice, RD will not give him/HER? enough money or autonomy to form a challenging squad, even in League 1. He will still call the tune and we will just get a repeat of what has happened before.
    IMO, no point getting optimistic until we are under new ownership. Regrettably.
  • colin1961 said:

We have started talks with Steve Cotterill

As per Wilder, this is no indicator of them actually joining the club.
  • colin1961 said:

Where has this come from that we have started talks with Steve Cotterill for it to come out on a Sunday I find most odd!
  • colin1961 said:

Where has this come from that we have started talks with Steve Cotterill for it to come out on a Sunday I find most odd!
    Not idea but it was posted on here yesterday that Cotterill was in talks.
  • colin1961 said:

Who are WE, RD, KM or Murray? Don't have much faith in any of them. Has he flown out to Belgium in a private jet to meet RD? or has RD thought, I am not paying out for that again, and gone on Skyp to talk to him.
  • edited May 2016
    I'd rather have Uwe Rosler than a lot of the British names that are being suggested. Experience is more important than nationality. Also when I say experience I mean experience of being successful in England, experience of being a shit manager in England isn't really the same thing.
  • Must be a strong man who stands his ground with them.morons running our club.