Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has Meire 'accidently' blamed Duchatelet for relegation?

The evidence that Meire is being overwhelmed by the levels of criticism levelled at her CEO stewardship of the Club is there for all to see and it has been evident at least since last year (e.g. the Dublin fiasco). She did two things to try to get out of the situation

1) Hired Mel Baroni as a PR/HOC - this collapsed spectacularly after 46 days when Baroni resigned in disgust seemingly at the Roland 'statement.'
2) She took a 10 day holiday in Dubai to get away from it all but without thinking of the consequences of her action and the timing of it.

Now, the latest outbursts looks like the result of someone who is so desperate and unable to cope that she has no option but to spread the blame for what is happening and deflect the criticism to anywhere but at her door because the main thing for her is not the interests of Charlton Athletic and its wellbeing but instead not losing face and not wishing to be seen as a failure by her mentor RD the one who had blind faith in her.
This desperation has led Meire into making wild comments which in her heart of hearts she knows she shouldn't have said.

Witness her ridiculous Alex Ferguson comparison when Guy Luzon was announced as the next manager but more tellingly look at her uncomfortable body language when she tries to defend the sacking (of Peeters) and then the appointment of Fraeye. She stated: “The five managers in that time (since Jan 2014) have improved our position (then after a pause) and our results every time." She knows, she just damn well knows that this is crazy bullshit but she said it anyway.

Now, remember, Roland 'doesn't do failure' so by extension neither does Meire. This means that every one of her catastrophic errors of judgement or flawed decisions is someone else's fault.
Under pressure and so desperate is she to hold on to the one business mantra she appears to hold above all others Never admit mistakes, never apologise. I believe she has slipped up again in the TalkSport piece (on a separate thread - Meire (again) etc) she states:

"It's disruptive to your business (to have so many managerial changes) and that's why we are now relegated. We had too many managers in a short time."

But Roland Duchatelet made those managerial changes (rubber-stamped by Meire). In that sentence above I see this as another faux pas by Meire.
For me, she is saying that the business (of Charlton Athletic) has been disrupted by the actions of the owner in making these constant changes.

She has distanced herself from the failure (of relegation) but at the expense as I see it of laying the blame on Duchatelet (plus player indiscipline as she puts it).
Is this not the greatest betrayal of all in their business relationship?

I cannot believe given all that we know that Meire did this deliberately. I think it more likely that yet again she spoke, as on so many past occasions, without thinking.
If Duchatelet should pick up on this then I would like to be in the room when he calls her in to explain herself. He seems to let everything else go that she cocks up but woebetide if she criticices him. A stint for her at a network club in Siberia would be my recommendation.

Comments

• She has also recognised that many of our foreign signings can't handle two games a week and have contributed to our crowded treatment room. All scouted by Roland's YouTube analysts.
  • A major tiff between the two of them must be very close, if it hasn't already happened. The regime will continue or collapse depending on whether they kiss and make up, or not.
  • He'll see it as another misinterpretation. It's us against them. They don't admit to mistakes.
  • She is a fundamentally weak personality who always tries to avoid responsibility for anything negative by blaming someone else -anyone will do, according to her audience. She was doing this long before she came under fan pressure. Even the infamous "it's his club, get used to it" type comment is an example of this. Most of the time, she can say whatever buck-shifting words come into her head, safe in the assumption that it won't get back to the Oracle of Tessenderlo.
  • A major tiff between the two of them must be very close, if it hasn't already happened. The regime will continue or collapse depending on whether they kiss and make up, or not.

No kissing & make up.....fight to the death would be more welcome.

No kissing & make up.....fight to the death would be more welcome.
    They'd reach 20K for that at the Valley
  • I get the feeling, and this is based on nothing in particular other than the comments over the past couple of days and the fact we know that she doesn't agree with some of the decision RD has made, and the fact she wants more control, power and status that Roly has given her more rope this season to run it more 'her way...'

I have little doubt with all this extra rope she will do little more than hang herself with it.
  • edited May 2016

The evidence that Meire is being overwhelmed by the levels of criticism levelled at her CEO stewardship of the Club is there for all to see and it has been evident at least since last year (e.g. the Dublin fiasco). She did two things to try to get out of the situation

1) Hired Mel Baroni as a PR/HOC - this collapsed spectacularly after 46 days when Baroni resigned in disgust seemingly at the Roland 'statement.'
    2) She took a 10 day holiday in Dubai to get away from it all but without thinking of the consequences of her action and the timing of it.

Now, the latest outbursts looks like the result of someone who is so desperate and unable to cope that she has no option but to spread the blame for what is happening and deflect the criticism to anywhere but at her door because the main thing for her is not the interests of Charlton Athletic and its wellbeing but instead not losing face and not wishing to be seen as a failure by her mentor RD the one who had blind faith in her.
    This desperation has led Meire into making wild comments which in her heart of hearts she knows she shouldn't have said.

Witness her ridiculous Alex Ferguson comparison when Guy Luzon was announced as the next manager but more tellingly look at her uncomfortable body language when she tries to defend the sacking (of Peeters) and then the appointment of Fraeye. She stated: “The five managers in that time (since Jan 2014) have improved our position (then after a pause) and our results every time." She knows, she just damn well knows that this is crazy bullshit but she said it anyway.

Now, remember, Roland 'doesn't do failure' so by extension neither does Meire. This means that every one of her catastrophic errors of judgement or flawed decisions is someone else's fault.
    Under pressure and so desperate is she to hold on to the one business mantra she appears to hold above all others Never admit mistakes, never apologise. I believe she has slipped up again in the TalkSport piece (on a separate thread - Meire (again) etc) she states:

"It's disruptive to your business (to have so many managerial changes) and that's why we are now relegated. We had too many managers in a short time."

But Roland Duchatelet made those managerial changes (rubber-stamped by Meire). In that sentence above I see this as another faux pas by Meire.
    For me, she is saying that the business (of Charlton Athletic) has been disrupted by the actions of the owner in making these constant changes.

She has distanced herself from the failure (of relegation) but at the expense as I see it of laying the blame on Duchatelet (plus player indiscipline as she puts it).

I cannot believe given all that we know that Meire did this deliberately. I think it more likely that yet again she spoke, as on so many past occasions, without thinking.
    If Duchatelet should pick up on this then I would like to be in the room when he calls her in to explain herself. He seems to let everything else go that she cocks up but woebetide if she criticices him. A stint for her at a network club in Siberia would be my recommendation.

Well, as far as I know, we only have her word - which let's face it, isn't worth a hill of beans* - that Duchatelet doesn't do failure. The evidence and history - but KM doesn't do history - tells us otherwise.

He was "let go" from his first job working for a telecoms company - a quote from his interview "'I lost my job, and I know that that looks like a personal failure."
    First business - bankrupt
    Political party - failed to make headway
    Standard Liege - forced to sell up
    Charlton Athletic - appointed KM, got relegated and put Euros millions at risk

I'm sure there must be plenty of other examples. The truth is out there.

*Where did that saying come from? Because you'd think a hill of beans would actually be worth something.

• Sponsored links:

• Although she blamed everyone apart from herself for the failings I also read it as blaming RD for at least the change in managers.
  • To be fair she didn't implicitly say who was to blame but suggested afterwards he might wear a tapped up shoe!
  • She is terrible at her job but her job makes her terrible.

She can't accept blame. Only a relatively strong person can accept blame by thinking objectively and clearly. She is the voice of Roland. He supposedly tells her what to do and what to say, so much easier to trip and contradict yourself etc when trying to be open and honest.

She can't criticize the one main thing that deserves the criticism, and that is her boss...so she's beating around the bush on loads of other crap.
  • To be fair she didn't implicitly say who was to blame but suggested afterwards he might wear a tapped up shoe!

The way she talks, its like having having all those managers was something that just happened while she wasn't paying attention. She's talking like the players, who all grumble about management changes but can't do a thing about it. I guess Ms Meire is in the same boat (even though the players would probably kick her out and make her swim!)
  • I think part of the problem for her accepting blame is that she knows/thinks we are all looking down at her looking for signs of weakness. It is why she should not continue in her position. It is clearly untenable seeing as a football club is nothing without it's supporters. trying to run one without them is never going to end well!
  • She also needs to blame herself
  • The problem is, when she is sacked RD will have the same approach to replacing her as he has with the Manager. Namely, get someone in who he can control. So, we have double the trouble. I'm not supporting KM (far from it) but the ultimate problem is Roland Douche. Can anyone see him changing? I don't think so on what we've seen so far.

It seems like we'll be going round and round in these circles until he sells up. What a thought.
  • Appalling CEO and hardly a better person by all accounts. She has to be removed, whatever it takes.
  • Yes. Katrien Meire is incompetent and not fit to be an executive.
  • cafcfan said:

Well, as far as I know, we only have her word - which let's face it, isn't worth a hill of beans*

*Where did that saying come from? Because you'd think a hill of beans would actually be worth something.

Casablanca, one of my favourite films.
    Humphrey Bogart (Rick) says to Ingrid Bergman (Ilsa)
    "I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that."
  • Sponsored links:

• Just out of interest, does anyone know what happened to the Standard supporters that invaded his office?

Do we know what these supporters think finally got him to leave?
  • Classic pathologic behavior, she simply cannot see fault in herself.

Her first nature is to apportion blame elsewhere, now blaming the Douchebag, the players, her colleagues, the fans (sorry customers).

If she ever she comprehends the "real cause" for many of her continuing highly entertaining and self destructive gaffs.

OFF TO THE FUNNY FARM GIRLY, with one of those jackets with strange arms!