Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting Behind The New Manager

Assuming that the club does appoint a British manager with experience and or potential I think that the fans have to get behind him and give him their support.

It won't be his fault that we have a club at war with itself. He will be taking the job with the sole intention of success.

I think the prospect of a peace breaking out with the Belgians is now impossible and I agree that the regimes first best option is to sell.

What I do think is that CARD now have to push very hard is the massive distinction between the manager and players who we must support and the hapless Meire and her remote boss.

The "Support the team, not the regime" ethos is never going to be more important. We need to get back into the Championship. Duchatelet selling might even depend on it.

I was going to boycott next season but reading a post on another thread by Henry has changed my mind. I won't let the Belgians stop me doing what I've done since 1961 in meeting with a friend for a beer and supporting the Addicks in victory and defeat. I want the team to win and score goals. I want to be there to cheer when they do.

I'm not letting this battle with the owner break the bond I have with Charlton Athletic.

SUPPORT THE TEAM NOT THE REGIME

Comments

• Options
    Like you say. Roland selling might depend on being in the Championship. Equally if we do get promoted he might think 'I know what I'm doing now'. It's a tough one.

Regardless, we should be supporting the team and the manager. Someone has got to do the job otherwise there is no Charlton.
  • Options
    I thought LuckyReds had been appointed after his interview with Meire yesterday! Damn, more lies.
  • Options
    The team is the regime
  • Options
    I am going back to Uni in September so won't be able to get to as many games as I would usually. Will still go to a few games when I can/when there is a big protest planned. I wall pay on a game by game basis so they don't get any money upfront and so don't help cash flow. I will also buy the cheaper tickets and get kids/under 18 as a machine can't check your age. That way they don't get any more of my money than I have to give and I still get to protest and get my Charlton fix.
  • Options
    people will actually have to go to the games to 'support the team'
  • Options

Assuming that the club does appoint a British manager with experience and or potential I think that the fans have to get behind him and give him their support.

It won't be his fault that we have a club at war with itself. He will be taking the job with the sole intention of success.

I think the prospect of a peace breaking out with the Belgians is now impossible and I agree that the regimes first best option is to sell.

What I do think is that CARD now have to push very hard is the massive distinction between the manager and players who we must support and the hapless Meire and her remote boss.

The "Support the team, not the regime" ethos is never going to be more important. We need to get back into the Championship. Duchatelet selling might even depend on it.

I was going to boycott next season but reading a post on another thread by Henry has changed my mind. I won't let the Belgians stop me doing what I've done since 1961 in meeting with a friend for a beer and supporting the Addicks in victory and defeat. I want the team to win and score goals. I want to be there to cheer when they do.

I'm not letting this battle with the owner break the bond I have with Charlton Athletic.

I get what you are saying. Unfortunately, for me, the Belgians have already taken away completely what I used to enjoy doing. It's not the same experience. It's not only no longer fun, it's the exact opposite: an excruciating, utterly depressing afternoon (the protests apart) that sucks out your soul like a Dementor's kiss. Leaving you, come 5pm, as a husk that wonders how long it will take you to regain some semblance of happiness and with no idea how long it will take before you can even think about discussing football again.
    As things stand renewing a season ticket is a total non-starter for me. It's my present intention to pitch up for maybe one home match every 6 weeks, to do some away games and spend December in Florida. I'm anticipating that I'll be able to regain some degree of sanity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    100% Zippy!
  • Options
    I have real issues backing anyone who would work under the regime unless it was very clear Roland had done a complete about-turn and agreed not to interfere - or let that woman stick her oar in - re recruitment, contracts and the playing side. Without that, whoever joins is a puppet and will not have my support. Or if they play Roger Johnson.
  • Options

Just goes round in circles though, doesn't it?

Want them out but pay money, gotta support team and manager.
    Team lose, manager is sh*t, whole place is toxic.
    Change manager
    Want them out but pay money, gotta support team and new manager.
    Team lose, manager is sh*t, whole place is toxic.
    Change manager....

Something has to give at some point.

As for that bond, for me it's already broken.

I hope it can be reformed again once there are wider changes than just bringing in an out of work British manager, but we'll see.

not saying I disagree but if it's a British manager we have to acknowledge that is a small step forward. We can't continually slag e
    cafcfan said:

I get what you are saying. Unfortunately, for me, the Belgians have already taken away completely what I used to enjoy doing. It's not the same experience. It's not only no longer fun, it's the exact opposite: an excruciating, utterly depressing afternoon (the protests apart) that sucks out your soul like a Dementor's kiss. Leaving you, come 5pm, as a husk that wonders how long it will take you to regain some semblance of happiness and with no idea how long it will take before you can even think about discussing football again.
    As things stand renewing a season ticket is a total non-starter for me. It's my present intention to pitch up for maybe one home match every 6 weeks, to do some away games and spend December in Florida. I'm anticipating that I'll be able to regain some degree of sanity.
    alright for some
  • Options
    IAgree said:

100% Zippy!

think the Banana Splits should be appointed, would be crazy
  • Options
    braydex said:

I cant get behind any manager who is prepared to work under RD, KM, RM etc. Any manager who is prepared to work under those conditions hasn't taken the job on for the right reasons.

A manager should want to manage his club. Pick the players. Influence and request particular signings. Play certain players when he feels it's right to do so.

A manager who takes on a job, knowing that they will not be permitted to do that is taking the job either for a regular pay cheque or for some other bizarre reason. Either way, Charlton doesn't need a manager like that at the moment!!
    This is a difficult one.

I'm definitely with Braydex & his reasoning as to why any incoming manager would be tainted with the " puppet " description. Surely there's no failsafe way that he ( or she?) could convince the fans that he was working 100% independently of KM/RD unless he was "one of our own " ?

But on the other hand, there's no way that I'll boycott matches next season unless there is a guarantee that a very high percentage of our usual attendees do the same....and I don't see that happening. A one off to try to force RD's hand maybe but how do you ensure that others won't cave in and go back on their word ?

I fervently hope that NO British manager will accept an offer to join the circus, leaving RD to seriously consider his options ...and I know which one I'd urge him to take.

Any manager worth his salt and mindful of his reputation would be fully aware that the post at Charlton is nothing but a poisoned chalice. To accept would inevitably mean an indelible stain on his CV. To be associated with a club currently known as a joke would make him a comedian of the worst kind. End of.

Only time will tell how this will end but every day that goes by without a manager or chief scout in place is another nail in " their" coffin.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    excellant post Fanny, only difference being that at the moment I can't see for the life of me why I'd want to drag my sorry arse down there.

(apologies to Katie for using the word arse)
  • Options

IAgree said:

100% Zippy!

think the Banana Splits should be appointed, would be crazy
    Great Idea! Think of the chants! La La La la la la la!

(Katrien - If you are interest they are in America - follow the sun)
  • Options
    I'll be supporting the team at as many away games as I can make next season.
    They'll have to do it without me at The Valley.
  • Options
    I'd be very wary of any British manager taking the job. As Fanny say's, I'd make an exception for Curbs or CP because I would know that they are doing it for the love of the club rather than a quick money grab.
    But if I was there, I'd still go as much as possible. I made that pledge to my Dad before he died and I intend to keep it, even though I can only make a handful of games each season now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only Lee Clark I wouldnt want in charge @ the Valley.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    They ain't going anytime soon, sad but true. The Cult still see their way will win in the end .

I will wander down when I feel like it to stand with my the ghosts of my Dad , Mum, Uncles and departed mates

If I see the puppet I might very well
    Volley forth a " sexist/ racist " mouthful and if I get the chance I might very well plant Tony Bolloxes if I get the chance.

Never been one for the "moral high ground"

Never ever been easy being CAFC but it's in the DNA.

Here before the Belguim cultists and here after they have gone

• Options
    edited May 2016
    From that article I wouldn't say we want any of them! I can't see that they come equiped to get us back where we belong in the Premiership
  • Options
    Billy Davies and Roland would go about as well as a recovering alcoholic in Vegas.
  • Options
    I don' demand a British manager, merely a decent one. Clark, Adkins and Davies don't come into that category. But a manager who can't assemble his own squad is destined to fail. If they were going to give Wilder some control, albeit not in writing, why not extend it to Riga, who has done a decent job twice.
  • Options

I don' demand a British manager, merely a decent one. Clark, Adkins and Davies don't come into that category. But a manager who can't assemble his own squad is destined to fail. If they were going to give Wilder some control, albeit not in writing, why not extend it to Riga, who has done a decent job twice.

think you have answered your own question there

• Options
    Please not Lee Clark, he was sacked from Huddersfield because he couldn't get them out of League One and went on to do absolutely nothing anywhere else. I'd take Adkins, Billy Davies isn't going to want it, he rejected us once before and at that time it was a well run club.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, let's get right behind him. I can just see it now, BDL pitchside, first game of the season, four thousand diehards/idiots (delete as applicable) in the ground and he says,

"ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, This is the Valley, you know what you've got to do - get behind the boys and make some noise .... and please welcome onto the pitch our new manager ....................... Amdy Faye!"
  • Options

Yeah, that's been working well so far.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I work for an online bookies and can tell you that the traders at Bet Victor wont have a clue who our next manager will be. Our owners don't so how can they?

The list they have put up would pretty much be the same for any club Championship / League 1 club (bar the inclusion of people with connections to Charlton i.e. Simon Clark etc) and means next to nothing. They wont have taken alot of money on this market and as a result will not be too worried about how accurate the odds are when the financial risk to them is low (based on the volume of bets).

The only reason they are even offering this market is because football is their forte (they claim to offer best price on football) & they need to compete with Skybet on the volume of markets they offer (that's where Sky are strong. Sky rarely offer the best odds but have the biggest trading team and more markets than anyone else).

Don't read much into the order. BV will obviously tweak odds to manage their trading book and risk as the days progress and bets are received but their odds will not be based on much more than generic factors like a) time since last job, b) any connection to charlton & c) past success. They have no more insight than any of us and will not be looking to obtain any better insight for a betting market of this size (other than a few Charlton fan bets the reality is that the rest of the sporting world will not give a toss who our next boss is).