Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Congratulations Sunderland

Happy to see them survive as I've always had an affinity for them since the famous playoff final.

Comments

• Options

Big Sam does it again. I know some folk don't like the bloke, but he knows his stuff.

Yeah, Sam is a decent manager!
  • Options
    Fair play.

They have become the new Wigan. Treading water every season and doing just enough to survive each year.

The signing of Defoe was crucial.
  • Options
    Sunderland need to push because relegation dog fight luck will run out. Just ask Coventry and Southampton of the 1990s.
  • Options
    Some fascinating insights from big Sam on the radio, about how he tightened the team up with a decent CB partnership and covering defensive midfielder, but also how the fitness levels have improved, enabling the players to close down much more.

• Options
    Big Sam organises team shocker.!
  • Options
    Amazing what a good, experienced manager can achieve isn't it Roland and KM.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Amazing what a good, experienced manager can achieve isn't it Roland and KM.

There's no point giving them suggestions. They are just not interested.
  • Options
    Sunderland is the Premier League team that I've kept an eye on this season. They would never have stayed up without Big Sam. He brought in four players in the January transer window and three of them have been in their starting line up since then and made a huge impact. Also it's been said that Big Sam has brought in a sense of calmness around the team, which is obviously crucial in a relegation battle.

This is what an experienced English/British manager does. Unfortunately we'll never see one at Charlton under our current owner. #RolandOut
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Newcastle - another victory for shit ownership.

They are massively underrated in the mental manager sweepstakes, in part I suspect because they're Newcastle and you just assume they're doing something mental, and in part because Ashley has been at it for so long that it's lock it's shock value.

I cannot stand Sam Allardyce, the way his teams play, the way he speaks about himself, everything he represents. And yet, and I'm clearly feeling generous this evening, I suspect if you saw him in a pub he'd be a decent bloke and buy you a drink and provide an entertaining evening.
  • Options
    Love how that Bayern Defender (Kirchhoff?) was slated by the Media after his first game... Saw the other week they were saying that he was one of the reasons for their Survival!!
  • Options
    Amazing to see their fans staying to the end and not disappearing 20 minutes from the end with clenched teeth and a look at me being angry attitude.
    Oh well, same again next year lads.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited May 2016
    SDAddick said:

They are massively underrated in the mental manager sweepstakes, in part I suspect because they're Newcastle
    Didn't you predict that Benitez would guide Newcastle to survival and then use that as the basis for your argument that we should get a coach rather than a manager?

Well done Sunderland.
  • Options
    Can't argue that Big Sam is a genius at organising and motivating players his signings have been inspired really. Love a manager like him at our place right now. Well done Sunderland very pleased for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Great escape but I'd be interested to see their books for the last few years. They come across as a club that are always gambling next years revenues to stay up. Maybe the new TV deal will let them off the hook but I can see them going down the Bolton route one day.
  • Options
    Big Sam.

The Curbs of the North.
  • Options

Great escape but I'd be interested to see their books for the last few years. They come across as a club that are always gambling next years revenues to stay up. Maybe the new TV deal will let them off the hook but I could see them going down the Bolton route one day.

I've always thought they're a lot bigger than Bolton (and Charlton) and are a 'natural' top tier club. You could be right about the short term gambling each season though. Bolton was obviously unsustainable when they were in the Premier League. I think the bad case for Sunderland would be more like Forest or Derby.
  • Options
    If the stick with Sam then I can't see them finishing below mid-table next season, it's been the continual merry-go-round of managers and coaches that has hurt them most, and the dodgy appointments they made
  • Options
    Same here, always had a soft spot for them after the play off final and that together with the arrogance and entitlement of some Newcastle fans (others have been great, but some definitely do make the club a contender for Arsenal of the north as mentioned above).

Really pleased they managed to turn it around, but not at all surprised given their approach to possible relegation (i.e hiring a knowledgeable, British manager and then making some very astute signings); compare and contrast to what our lot did - hire some obscure foreign no-mark with no knowledge or experience of our league just to save a few quid, and then rehire a past it centre back deemed not up to scratch only a few months earlier....

Well done Mackems.
  • Options
    Their fans were great after the Wembley Play-off game and still singing even after defeat and friendly - at least the ones I saw leaving the ground.
    Contrast that to the Leeds fans after the St Andrews play-off and the nasty reaction of many of those.

Well done Sunderland.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

They are massively underrated in the mental manager sweepstakes, in part I suspect because they're Newcastle and you just assume they're doing something mental, and in part because Ashley has been at it for so long that it's lock it's shock value.

I cannot stand Sam Allardyce, the way his teams play, the way he speaks about himself, everything he represents. And yet, and I'm clearly feeling generous this evening, I suspect if you saw him in a pub he'd be a decent bloke and buy you a drink and provide an entertaining evening.
    There's this preconception of Allardyce that he only plays boring long balls and nothing more. But from the West Ham and Sunderland games I've watched over the last few years, it's not as simple or one-dimentional as that. His teams play much better football than say a Tony Pulis side does.
    Mind you, Karel's teams play more attractive football than TPs teams.