Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Cozier RIP

Passed away earlier today.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/79876/tony-cozier-passes-away-aged-75

Lots of cricket fans on here so worthy of a thread I feel.

RIP

Comments

• RIP. Never liked him much (too cocky during the great period of WI dominance) but respect his place in WI cricket folklore.
  • He came & did a speech in Barbados when I went on a travel package tour of the West Indies V England series a couple of years ago. His knowledge & passion for the game was incredible. RIP
  • RIP. I just read that he was in the corner of the commentary box during the famous "leg-over" incident between Brian Johnston and Jonathan Agnew. Cozier could have stepped in at any moment but instead chose to watch on as the hilarity unfolded. Excellent commentator.
  • A great broadcaster, having someone like him in the commentary box added so much knowledge, RIP
  • RIP.

I remember nearly falling off my chair when I realised he was a white man.
  • R.I.P Tony Cozier.An absolute legend.will sorely be missed.
  • Legend Tony. Will be very much missed - leaves the door open for Ian Bishop as the voice of Windies cricket.
  • Great voice

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP
  • Legendary broadcaster. RIP
  • RIP. ..We ll miss his beautiful lilting mellifluous bajan accent and the poise knowledge and dignity he Brought to his commentary. ..he never did gloat over the windies dominance for 2 decades but had every right to. A very sad loss to a beautiful game
  • RIP a great ambassador and voice of the game.
  • Sad day. Great broadcaster. First heard him on TMS during the long, hot summer of 1976. Great memories despite England getting thrashed by WI.

RIP.
  • RIP. Will really miss his commentary and voice.
  • edited May 2016
    A situation where the word 'legend' can justly be used when mentioning Cozier .. he's been the voice of West Indies cricket for seemingly fifty years .. knowledgeable, passionate, never TOO biased .. However, he's sounded ill for the past four or five years ... I will miss his measured, erudite, honeyed tone .. R I P .. you great Bajan Legend
  • One of the truly great commentators, his love of the game came through clearly in his commentary and despite his love of Windies cricket rarely showed bias. Will be missed
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2016
    Only warmed to him in recent years as he was just about the only serious commentator left on TMS. He was very bias in the 80's and very much a mouthpiece for Clive Lloyd and Viv Richards who both had to spend much time defending their tactics. In those days there were ridiculous suggestions being put forward to curb the menace of the WI's pacemen like lengthening the pitch, or drawing a line 3/4 of the way down that balls were not allowed to pitch before etc. Some of these were muted by the old guard in the TMS box and he would stoutly rebuke them. Always found he never gave England any credit, especially in the late 80's early 90's with comments like "Bajan born Gladstone Small".
    But he mellowed as we all do and built up a good rapport with Aggers. Probably spending time with the likes of Brian Johnstone and Trevor Bailey wound him up as they were very much of the colonial age.
    I think I'd been listening to him for 10 years before I realised he was white! I'll miss him.
  • RIP The Voice Of The WI
  • Riviera said:

Only warmed to him in recent years as he was just about the only serious commentator left on TMS. He was very bias in the 80's and very much a mouthpiece for Clive Lloyd and Viv Richards who both had to spend much time defending their tactics. In those days there were ridiculous suggestions being put forward to curb the menace of the WI's pacemen like lengthening the pitch, or drawing a line 3/4 of the way down that balls were not allowed to pitch before etc. Some of these were muted by the old guard in the TMS box and he would stoutly rebuke them. Always found he never gave England any credit, especially in the late 80's early 90's with comments like "Bajan born Gladstone Small".
    But he mellowed as we all do and built up a good rapport with Aggers. Probably spending time with the likes of Brian Johnstone and Trevor Bailey wound him up as they were very much of the colonial age.
    I think I'd been listening to him for 10 years before I realised he was white! I'll miss him.

Totally agree. He got better as he got older (and as the West Indies turned to shite). He also lightened up a lot and could be quite funny. Very knowledgeable about the game world-wide.
  • RIP
  • Agree fully with Riviera.Beautiful radio voice and you just imagined the West Indian sun and beaches as he spoke.
    Not sure about him lightening up as Simonsen puts it.
  • Really enjoyed listening to him. RIP