Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New to CAFC ...... Help!

My wife and I have recently moved to East London and have decided to adopt Charlton as our new club (nearest geographically) and will be signing up for season tickets for 2016/17. It'll never replace our home town club (AFCB), but as we intend living locally for the next 20 years we wanted to follow a club that we could passionately get behind and attend matches. So, my question is ...... what do I need to know about CAFC? I know my football, but not so much about your team and club. Who's the players to watch? Why all the protests? Where to drink before a game? Whats the best stand to get our season tickets in (2 adults and a 14 year old!)? You get the idea, please help!! Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Over to the panel.
  • Options
    Welcome. Charlton fans are some of the best but at present we are owned by a complete shite. We've been allowed to decline through abject mismanagement and even lied to by our CEO. They treat fans as "customers" and often with contempt.

We a a basket case right up there with Leeds and Blackpool.
  • Options
    tonyb1974 said:

My wife and I have recently moved to East London and have decided to adopt Charlton as our new club (nearest geographically) and will be signing up for season tickets for 2016/17. It'll never replace our home town club (AFCB), but as we intend living locally for the next 20 years we wanted to follow a club that we could passionately get behind and attend matches. So, my question is ...... what do I need to know about CAFC? I know my football, but not so much about your team and club. Who's the players to watch? Why all the protests? Where to drink before a game? Whats the best stand to get our season tickets in (2 adults and a 14 year old!)? You get the idea, please help!! Thanks

:smiley:
  • Options
    Anyway, welcome to the circus.

As supporters, we've got strong history of fighting together against adversity.
    And we've a battle on our hands right now.

Never a dull moment with us lot.

• Options
    tonyb1974 said:

Which bit of Bournemouth are you from?
  • Options
    tonyb1974 said:

Out of interest, which part of East London? Because I am surprised that we will be geographically nearer than Orient or the Hamsters unless you measure as the crow flies rather than by road ... which would be a big mistake.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Tony, with respect, do you really "know your football?" It's not as if Charlton have just been formed! And there is this great thing called the internet if you want to research the Addicks (that's our nickname by the way).

I apologise if you are genuine but your post just stinks the place out. How can you just summon up passion for something you know nothing about?!
  • Options
    Might I compliment you on your selection. You have made a very wise choice indeed. You are most welcome. I'm sure you will get more than your moneys worth.

You will need a VGSOH and a good right arm for throwing!
  • Options
    tonyb1974 said:

Seriously you picked the worst time to become a Charlton fan!

Otherwise...welcome aboard!!
  • Options
    HandG said:

Tony, with respect, do you really "know your football?" It's not as if Charlton have just been formed! And there is this great thing called the internet if you want to research the Addicks (that's our nickname by the way).

I apologise if you are genuine but your post just stinks the place out. How can you just summon up passion for something you know nothing about?!

Well he is asking for background/real experiences from those who are there rather than the usual journo dross you find online.
  • Options

tonyb1974 said:

Which bit of Bournemouth are you from?
    Lived in Littledown until recently. Yourself?
  • Options
    Katrien Meire will love you! Have you got 10,000 friends you could bring along too?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    tonyb1974 said:

Difficult to point out players as so many will be off in the summer, but if any are still here then Pope is a decent young GK, Teixeira and Bauer are good centre backs, Jordan Cousins as a box to box player with Charlton in his blood and his heart on his sleeve, Johnnie Jackson is our talismanic skipper unfortunately missed a lot of football recently. Gudmundsson is our best player, Icelandic winger who will be off in the summer (watch out for him in the Euro's) Lookman is an exciting young talent, and that's about it, the rest are much of a muchness.

North Lower is the cheapest seats, near the singing contingent in the North Upper.

The Liberal Club or The Royal Oak are decent places for a drink pre game, or the Rose of Denmark slightly further afield.

Charlton is a family friendly (ish) club, lots of history regarding losing our ground and getting it back again through our own campaigning, it's a brilliant story.

Protests are due to broken promises and lack of on pitch improvements despite much crowing from our CEO and Owner about how every decision made has been a step forward.

There has been a lot of dud players bought, a fair few decent players sold for minimal amounts, and the owner doesn't attend games, instead choosing to hide behind a lady CEO seemingly out of her depth and unable to admit things have gone wrong. All this whilst chopping and changing managers more often than almost any other club, and removing long serving club members from positions without replacing them properly. We have no Chief Scout, no head of communications and as of right now no Head Coach.

Welcome to the madhouse anyway!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    CAFCTrev said:

tonyb1974 said:

Seriously you picked the worst time to become a Charlton fan!

Otherwise...welcome aboard!!
    I disagree. We have now reached rock bottom and things can only get better. Our fantastic owner doesn't do failure so it's all up up up from here on.
  • Options

HandG said:

Well he is asking for background/real experiences from those who are there rather than the usual journo dross you find online.
    As I said, apologies to the OP if he is genuine and good luck to him next season, I just can't help being a little sceptical with all that is going on at the moment......
  • Options
    Paradoxically, the best way you can support Charlton right now is by not going at all.

Otherwise I'll take my hat off to anyone choosing to support us after arguably the most miserable season in our history. Welcome to the mad house.
  • Options
    tonyb1974 said:

HandG said:

I never said I would summon up passion!!! But I am, and have been for 35 years, a proper football fan. I watch any match on TV and have travelled the length of the country watching matches (oftern for teams i do not follow). I want to watch football most weeks, I want to follow a local club, my passion will grow over time ..... but I'm not looking to replace my true love for AFCB. I need something to distract my day to day and a local team to follow for the next 20 years will do just that.

Clearly you don't understand the love for football that I have ..... its not just about one team ..... its about the whole sport and the enjoyment it brings. Weather it be Dagenham and Redbridge or Leicester, it makes no differnce to me enjoying the beautiful game.
    If it's enjoying the beautiful game you want, the old Police statement "move along, nothing to see here" may be appropriate. (Things may change, but I'd be surprised under the current regime).

If you like intelligent and interesting protest, you're on to a winner...

• Options
    If you are genuine, don't buy a season ticket, there will be plenty of seats available and you can't try before you commit to the club or particular stands or seats.

Rose of Denmark is a good pre and post pub.
  • Options
    tonyb1974 said:

Leyton Orient will be a lot closer