Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Let's give Roland another chance

Comments

• Options

Why are so many confident Chris Wilder (IF he takes the job) is the answer to our problems? He has no experience of League One, only League Two. I thought everyone wanted an English manager with Championship experience? If expectations are lowered then RD has won. The least he can do is sack KM and offer an apology for all his mistakes. If that is not done I hope protests continue.

rowland won? How? He is only considering an English manager because of the protests.

Wilder built a good Oxford team taking them from the conference to near the top of league 1 and then turning Northampton from relegation certainties to champions.

Who would you go for?
  • Options
    I want RD out.

However, IF (and this is a massive if) he appoints an English manager and gives that manager control of the squad and transfers, then it is a step in the right direction. For me the damage has been done but I'd take one step backwards to go two step forwards.

I won't hold my breath though.
  • Options
    First off, still want the old sod to bugger off - obviously.

If Roland doesn't sell up and fixes all of the main things that we've been complaining about, which will take longer than a couple of seasons - can we ever be happy with him running the club?

Really quite far-fetched given where we are now with the 'Regime'... but I'm talking if 3/4 seasons down the line if he refuses to sell up and we had a competitive English-based team in the Championship (strengthened with non-network imports like JBG etc.), we're holding onto our young players (until silly money comes in - which is mostly re-invested), no more fan gimmicks/sofas, youth system still going great, training ground finished, we're doing well in terms of FFP, we have managerial stability in a happy Chris Wilders... what would happen? It wouldn't actually take much to do all that bit by bit, probably the most frustrating thing is that a better ownership could easily achieve it.

Realistically, I actually think that all it'd take is good summer in the transfer market and start to the season and we'd be left with quiet discontent and a few black and white scarfs in the crowd. Not because it should, but that's the nature of football and football fans. That said, it's more probably way more likely that we make an absolute hash of it and we're disemboweling a different sofa (RIP) this time next year.

Also, starting this thread is like pulling the pin on a grenade and running off.
  • Options
    "One swallow does not a summer make" Aristotle

If it arrives at all, and that's still a big IF, then it will almost certainly have its wings clipped soon after!!

However, one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, and I'd rather see Wilder's charges than Nobby's nuts.
  • Options
    Even if Roland doesn't sell, nothing changes until Meire is replaced by an experienced and capable CEO

And no more brainless knee jerking puppets.

• Options

A British manager and player linked all in the first week since the summer ended. I know it's just a link but its a step in the right direction if true. Why did this happen? CARD and our amazing support which has made Roland listen and think.

We've been linked with people before - surprise, surprise nothing came of it.

I would not be shocked if this is all part of a big charade, the regime's attempt to hoodwink the peasants into thinking they're looking at British managers/players or ones with British league experience but never quite sealing the deal before saying "well, we tried to sign so and so, just like you lot wanted, but couldn't agree a deal for them to become our new head coach. So instead here's an agreement we made earlier: say hello to Nobby Vinegar."

Given their total disdain for the supporters, as shown by events in recent weeks, this scenario probably isn't too far-fetched.
  • Options
    We've had nearly two and a half years of constant crap from Roland starting with getting rid of Yann and Dale (and lying, saying Yann wanted to leave), up to making Carol head coach (and lying, saying he was interim). I'm with Kenty.
  • Options
    Roger Sanchez gave me another chance years ago.
  • Options
    As someone else said (can't be bothered to go back through the posts/threads), everyone has their own tipping point.

Some hated RD from the beginning
    Some were pessimistic
    Some were optimistic (me)
    Some though we were going straight back to the Premier

Gradually 98% of us have started to protest; I had slipped into the pessimistic camp whilst freezing my nuts off at the Woolwich meeting and my own personal tipping point into full protest was KM's Dublin fiasco and the appointment of KF.

What will stop me protesting?

I'm certainly not in a rush to even get back into the pessimistic camp without some evidence.
    Currently I'm still in full disruption mode. Appointment of a decent manager and proper squad would probably switch me back to 'Team not Regime'
    Change in the SMT would then be the big indicator for me - if KM and TK went (and possibly Mandy), then I would consider trying to engage the new SMT to get the 'match day experience' back on track. Until then it's definitely RD out.

Yes I'm fickle - all I want is to watch my team play well (and win) whilst being treated like a responsible adult. To be honest I could live with a 'reborn' RD if he fixed the team and sacked the SMT as he'll probably sell in a year or two anyway if we get back in the Championship. If none of the things above have come to fruition and we'll have hounded him out hopefully sooner rather than later.

To paraphrase a well known poster

RD maintains the status quo 60%
    RD funds a proper squad setup 25%
    RD funds a proper squad and appoints a football savvy SMT 10%
    RD sells this summer 5%
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me the 'ideal' is Roly to sell up. Right now that doesn't appear likely.
    If ? we get a British manager who truly has the power over transfers and picking the team. And KM departs ( i don't care how ) I would be willing to give the regime another chance. I still wouldn't much like it, but i would be willing to travel to home games, though not buy a ST.
    This is the minimum change(s) I need.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    CatAddick said:

As someone else said (can't be bothered to go back through the posts/threads), everyone has their own tipping point.

Some hated RD from the beginning
    Some were pessimistic
    Some were optimistic (me)
    Some though we were going straight back to the Premier

Gradually 98% of us have started to protest; I had slipped into the pessimistic camp whilst freezing my nuts off at the Woolwich meeting and my own personal tipping point into full protest was KM's Dublin fiasco and the appointment of KF.

What will stop me protesting?

I'm certainly not in a rush to even get back into the pessimistic camp without some evidence.
    Currently I'm still in full disruption mode. Appointment of a decent manager and proper squad would probably switch me back to 'Team not Regime'
    Change in the SMT would then be the big indicator for me - if KM and TK went (and possibly Mandy), then I would consider trying to engage the new SMT to get the 'match day experience' back on track. Until then it's definitely RD out.

Yes I'm fickle - all I want is to watch my team play well (and win) whilst being treated like a responsible adult. To be honest I could live with a 'reborn' RD if he fixed the team and sacked the SMT as he'll probably sell in a year or two anyway if we get back in the Championship. If none of the things above have come to fruition and we'll have hounded him out hopefully sooner rather than later.

To paraphrase a well known poster

RD maintains the status quo 60%
    RD funds a proper squad setup 25%
    RD funds a proper squad and appoints a football savvy SMT 10%
    RD sells this summer 5%

I miss the days when people were taking the p*ss out of Liege fans by calling us his favorite
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

Is the relieved, wetting themselves, desperate clamour from many on here now. Just minutes after something they can hang their cowardice on.

Are you all fucking mad? Huh?

When Charlton get a new owner, some of us would rather that happen when we're somewhere else than League 2. The potential new appointment of Wilder is rightfully seen as good news.
  • Options

A British manager and player linked all in the first week since the summer ended. I know it's just a link but its a step in the right direction if true. Why did this happen? CARD and our amazing support which has made Roland listen and think.

We've been linked with people before - surprise, surprise nothing came of it.

I would not be shocked if this is all part of a big charade, the regime's attempt to hoodwink the peasants into thinking they're looking at British managers/players or ones with British league experience but never quite sealing the deal before saying "well, we tried to sign so and so, just like you lot wanted, but couldn't agree a deal for them to become our new head coach. So instead here's an agreement we made earlier: say hello to Nobby Vinegar."

Given their total disdain for the supporters, as shown by events in recent weeks, this scenario probably isn't too far-fetched.
    Yes we've been lied to before but to suggest this is some sort of stunt is just plain crazy. Both clubs and Wilder have released statements and unless you believe that we are going through all this just to say we tried then I think you have to accept this is a genuine attempt to get Wilder on board. Anything else is just too mad.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It does seem that relegation has shaken RD and he is now starting to do what he should have done all along. How long he can keep from meddling in team affairs remains to be seen.

Personally, if this means that I can take my children to see a competitive Charlton team then I'm pleased.

League 1 with another unknown Belgian manager or League 1 with a talented lower division British manager with load of domestic connections and knowledge. Not really a choice.
  • Options
    I think this thread has won the "most click-baitey title ever" award.
  • Options
    I think people have different problems with RD - a lot of those who recently joined the protests the biggest problem seems to be simply the lack of support for the team, wrong managerial choices etc - just stuff plain to the eye when they turn up on a match day. For me, from the first day this man bought us - I believed not a word of what TJ said about him that he's a character who cares for football and wants to get us back where we belong and what ever other shite he blasted at us when he just wanted shot of us as quickly as eh could. For me the problem is the bigger picture, why would a political business man, who has no care for football - suddenly change overnight into someone who wants to bring greatness to this Club? That's the only ask of someone who owns this Club from me - a desire that is on par with ours, his is not. Because the second we get a glimmer of happiness he will pull it away from us, you have to understand that. He's giving us a Christmas present right now, that he has been advised to; and he will pull it all away with the blink of an eyelid.
  • Options
    If KM is moved on, there is a new manager who has success building a team, the protests will inevitably shift focus onto RD alone.

I my view, in game protests are likely to be less successful in league 1, there will be little media presence to pick up on them and, if escalated, real risk of points deductions.

Even if we had 3x10 points deductions for abandonment next term out, he still may not sell, and we would increase the chances of further relegation, when he still may not sell.

Embarrassing his business interests, exposing him in Belgian national media and away from home protests particularly if the team is doing well....

That doesn't mean people want Roland out any less than now, but he becomes the main target.

And I think he's most likely to sell if we bounce straight back to the championship particularly if we can ramp up the pressure on him.
  • Options

If KM is moved on, there is a new manager who has success building a team, the protests will inevitably shift focus onto RD alone.

I my view, in game protests are likely to be less successful in league 1, there will be little media presence to pick up on them and, if escalated, real risk of points deductions.

Even if we had 3x10 points deductions for abandonment next term out, he still may not sell, and we would increase the chances of further relegation, when he still may not sell.

Embarrassing his business interests, exposing him in Belgian national media and away from home protests particularly if the team is doing well....

That doesn't mean people want Roland out any less than now, but he becomes the main target.

And I think he's most likely to sell if we bounce straight back to the championship particularly if we can ramp up the pressure on him.

Keeping the pressure up during a successful season will be a tough ask. But, if it can be done, it may well force his hand as he will realise it's not just about poor results.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would be delighted if Roland were hit by a meteorite tonight (ideally while having a meeting with Squirrel Face and Murray) but equally I respect that some think he's OK and some don't want to protest against the regime. We're all Charlton fans at heart and we all want the same end goal. That we disagree how to get there is a minor point, but we should not let this regime divide supporters as well as ruin the club.
  • Options
    The one ray of hope I have is that we, the fans, will always be here whereas Roland is transitory, just like all owners, managers, and players.
  • Options
    I think the one thing rd has demonstrated is that he is a stubborn old git who will sell when he wants to and wont ever cave to fan pressure. This move is an olive branch I feel, as he intends to stick around. I think the only thing that could make rd sell when he doesn't want to is a serious threat to him or a member of his family and I don't think we have the fanbase to carry out that kind of action - which most of us are probably grateful for. I believe this is what happened at Notts County.
  • Options
    No wasting too much time- give RD another chance- NO.
  • Options
    Maybe if we were getting 3k gates next season that could make him sell , think about it before you renew your season ticket.
  • Options
    No from me, never. Two years to try to adapt and listen but no he knows best! RD and KM out!
  • Options
    If Wilder does come he will presumably be reporting in to KM in some form or another! Whatever he is promised, he will soon learn it is all LIES! So how long will he last. How can he galvanise team morale when someone in the background he reports to is destroying it?
    Should be an interesting summer!
  • Options
    drewman said:

I think the one thing rd has demonstrated is that he is a stubborn old git who will sell when he wants to and wont ever cave to fan pressure. This move is an olive branch I feel, as he intends to stick around. I think the only thing that could make rd sell when he doesn't want to is a serious threat to him or a member of his family and I don't think we have the fanbase to carry out that kind of action - which most of us are probably grateful for. I believe this is what happened at Notts County.

Amen to that.
  • Options
    He is an absolute twat. A completely selfish fuckwit with no respect for our club. Thinks he's better then everyone else because he's rich.

Re-phrase.

If you are going to say it:

"Let's give the club another chance"
  • Options
    Although I am firmly in the Roland out camp , I have never felt that was a realistic goal in the medium term. I still think the campaign has been slightly barking up the wrong tree here and should be entirely focused in the first instance on getting Katrien out . Not only is she a completely useless CEO but she is also never likely to tell Roland anything other than what he wants to hear. I think the best campaigns are those that achieve some success ( in a measured way) on which to build towards the next objective. The problem with CARD is that it is ' an all or nothing' campaign and I think it is doomed to fail in that sense because Roland owns a relatively unsaleable asset and is never going to sell until he is ready regardless of what we do.