Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roland's Strikers

Over the last 3 seasons, looking at those who've played 10+ games up front since the take over these are the stats:

Tony Watt - 38 games 9 goals 0.24 goals per game
Igor Vetokele - 60 games 11 goals 0.22 goals per game
Ade Lookman - 24 games 5 goals 0.21 goals per game
Simon Church - 63 games 10 goals 0.16 goals per game
Simon Makienok - 35 games 5 goals 0.14 goals per game
Reza Ghoochannejhad - 42 games 5 goals 0.12 goals per game
Karlan Ahearne-Grant - 26 games 3 goals 0.12 goals per game
George Tucudean - 23 games 2 goals 0.09 goals per game
Joe Pigott - 16 games 1 goal 0.06 goals per game
Ricardo Vaz Te - 12 games 0 goals 0 goals per game

From midfield Gudmundsson hit 17 goals in 86 games (0.20 per game - 1 in 5) and Buyens wasn't bad either.

The 6 main strikers brought into the club since 2014 scored only 32 goals between them......despite 4 of them being full internationals.

Comments

• Options
    Tony Watt will tear league one apart if whoever comes in as our new manager can get him on side.
  • Options

Tony Watt will tear league one apart if whoever comes in as our new manager can get him on side.

Is he likely to play for us again ?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Is he likely to play for us again ?
    Probably not. Although it would be a big testament to Wilder (should he come here) if he can motivate him when the managers from the network couldn't.

Our best player when he's in the mood and although I hear Wilder doesnt always serve up fantastic football, he is known to demand and produce top fitness teams...and a fully fit Watt would be lethal in league one.

Unlikely as it maybe it would a big bonus if he is still with us and starting games next year IMO.
  • Options
    Bear in mind JBG will be likely gone so that's got potential to change things with Watt.
  • Options
    What about Sordell?
  • Options

It's the creativity, or the lack of rather, in the midfield that we need to look at here...

Agreed. Emergence of Lookman on the left and Callum being a bit more disciplined allowed JBG to play through the middle in the last couple matches and got a goal and an assist against Leeds and was denied by a couple of brilliant saves from Heaton on Saturday. Beyond him, we did really have anyone in the center who could create (in fairness to Jordan he did start to pick it up a bit toward the end of the year but not natural for him, at least not yet).
  • Options

It's the creativity, or the lack of rather, in the midfield that we need to look at here...

I hear Nabby Sarr is good with some crayons and a colouring book...

You heard wrong mate, he is shit at that too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair, Lookman has played mostly on the left wing.
  • Options
    The amazing fact there is that Reza was on the pitch 42 times!

Actually only played in a couple of them!
  • Options
    Igor must be fully fit now. Was woeful against Burnley.
  • Options
    This is why Karel wanted to play them all at once.
  • Options
    For a second I thought "Rolands Strikers" was what he was planning on renaming us...
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

What about Sordell?

Not bad 35 games 8 goals (0.23 per game so better than Igor (!))- but signed by Powell and pre-dates the Roland take over.
  • Options
    Having said that most of our strikers in the last 20 years seem to have fairly poor goals to games ratios

Other than the strikers in promotion season - Clive, Hunt and BWP, and Darren Bent, I doubt many of our other strikers would be better than Watt's figures of 0.24...
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Igor must be fully fit now. Was woeful against Burnley.

Maybe he is "fully fit" in the way Mark Kinsella was after his long lay off when his knees went.

I guess I don't need to dwell on the differences between the two cases
  • Options
    Tony didn't want to play for us in the championship so I don't see why he'd want to in L1 although JBG leaving might change things. Agree with the above though, would be excellent for the division.

Igor was absolutely awful in the last 2 games this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The issue with TWWW as I understand it is that the club failed to deliver promises they made him about his contract. Reeks of a local commitment being reneged upon in Belgium and TWWW making himself unpopular with the SMT by complaining about it.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

The issue with TWWW as I understand it is that the club failed to deliver promises they made him about his contract. Reeks of a local commitment being reneged upon in Belgium and TWWW making himself unpopular with the SMT by complaining about it.

Exactly how a current player described the situation to a mate of mine this weekend. Any other explanation is a smoke screen.
  • Options
    Would be interesting to see their record with us compared to the others clubs they've played for.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Interesting, someone mentioned that to me before the Brighton game. I didn't believe him at the time but maybe it's true after all.
  • Options
    I had heard, but some know how accurate it is, that while everyone had a bust up with Tony virtually every week, that there were no grudges held and they all very quickly blew over.

If that's true, then it would make the cover stories a bit silly looking.
  • Options
    Church was a SCP signing.
  • Options
    dabos said:

If i remember rightly we had no strikers just before the deadline and we grabbed Church. Saying he's an SCP signing hints that SCP scouted, studied and signed the man, when really, we were desperate to sign anybody.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

dabos said:

If i remember rightly we had no strikers just before the deadline and we grabbed Church. Saying he's an SCP signing hints that SCP scouted, studied and signed the man, when really, we were desperate to sign anybody.
    Correct. We released BWP, Fuller and Haynes at the end of the previous season, with Powell presumably under the same impression as the fans, i.e. that he'd be able to bring in better players than the ones that were leaving. It then transpired that that would not be the case, and SCP made it clear that he wanted to sign Fuller up for another year but we couldn't afford his wages.

We signed Church and Sordell (season long loan) about two days before the season started. SCP chose him, but only on the basis that they were the two best players he could find who were willing to play for peanuts. Don't think they were top of his list, or even on his list at the end of the previous season.