Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burton Albion - Smallest ever club to be in a higher division than Charlton!

Firstly well done to Burton on their promotion to the Chmpionship but I reckon the smallest ever club to be in a higher division than us. I mean even though we are are in a lower divsion we are still a much bigger club than them. We are massive compared to them and they are minute compared to us. So if we were to be drawn against each other next season in either League Cup or FA Cup, it would still be an upset if they beat us. I would be very disappointed if someone classed it as an upset if we were to beat them. It would would still be a very routine win for us. In fact it's not just us, but the same thing could be said for Bolton as well.

Comments

• In 1974-75 York City were in the second division while we were in the third, but I guess they're a bigger club than Burton.
  • Wait till we go down again next season !
  • Millwall for a few seasons
  • Our record fa cup win was against them 7-0 in 1953
  • edited May 2016
    Carlisle when they were in the top division in 1974 was it?
  • Them going up and us going down doesn't make them a better club. They might have only got 20 points in champ this season . Can only compare if they stay up and we stay down or we play in same division
  • Wimbledon ? But the point stands that Burton reach the highest level in their history, whilst we are on a downward spiral
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Them going up and us going down doesn't make them a better club. They might have only got 20 points in champ this season . Can only compare if they stay up and we stay down or we play in same division

You think we would have got 85 points in League One this year?

• Lots of smaller clubs (Gainsborough, Glossop, Darwen etc) would play in higher divisions than ourselves in Charlton's early years.
  • So far there are 3 former Conference teams who have made it to the second tier, Colchester, Yeovil and now Burton.
  • Were Yeovil higher than us as they moved up the leagues? I feel like they were already in the Championship the year we got promoted under Powell.

Also, Blackpool were two divisions above us when they were in the Premier League. Bigger than those above but possibly the smallest club to be two divisions above us.

Would Grimsby or Port Vale fall into the mix here?
  • A phenomenal achievement and a club that has been on the up for at least the last decade under a succession of decent managers backed well.

Nothing but envy here
  • SDAddick said:

Were Yeovil higher than us as they moved up the leagues? I feel like they were already in the Championship the year we got promoted under Powell.

Also, Blackpool were two divisions above us when they were in the Premier League. Bigger than those above but possibly the smallest club to be two divisions above us.

Would Grimsby or Port Vale fall into the mix here?

No, they were in League 1 for the 3 years we were there 09-12, then joined us in the Championship for one season in 13-14.

Burton are I think the smallest club to be in a higher division than us, having no football league pedigree at all prior to a few years ago. I saw a tweet today that said that in 1956/57 they were in the Birmingham leagues, playing against Birmingham, Wolves and Villa's third teams, and next season they'll be playing against them proper. Remarkable stuff.
  • Such a well run club and if Cloughie stays this time I would not be surprised to see them in the prem in a couple of seasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• In 2002 they got promoted to the conference.

It would be like welling being in the championship now.

"Danson park" (relocated) the 10,000 cap ground home to welling united.
  • Fair play to them. Got where they are on hard work and good managerial appointments.

Record transfer fee paid for a player? £20k.
  • MrLargo said:

As it stands today I'd agree that Burton are the smallest ever to be in a higher division than us. Don't forget that Millwall could go up in the play-offs though.

We're probably the worst comparison that could be made in this instance.

Even though we're so small compared to you we could cease to exist and still manage to take between 4 and 6 points off of you :wink:
    Annoyingly close to the truth BBW. :smile:

There's every possibility that we are only one season away from playing a village team (Pop 5'794) from Gloucestershire on a level playing field...
  • Yep and next season we could be playing Accrington Stanley too.

"Charlton Athletic? Who are they?"
    "Exactly"
  • T said:

Yep and next season we could be playing Accrington Stanley too

hope so, new ground, all we have to look forward to next season
  • Lots of smaller clubs (Gainsborough, Glossop, Darwen etc) would play in higher divisions than ourselves in Charlton's early years.

I think we are realistically talking football league here SR. None of those quoted were in the FL by the time we joined - in fact Darwen had dropped out before we were even founded.
  • So Phil Parkinson's Bradford could also be promoted through the play offs.... Come on City.
  • CAFCTrev said:

So far there are 3 former Conference teams who have made it to the second tier, Colchester, Yeovil and now Burton.

And everyone's favourite team of ground men, Doncaster Rovers.
  • Wimbledon also made it to the second tier after coming from Non-League Football