Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The symbolism of fencing in fans in an English football ground

It beggars belief that somebody in this day and age would think this is a good idea. Personally I'd rather see the ground closed down than see that sort of thing.

Comments

• Options

It beggars belief that somebody in this day and age would think this is a good idea. Personally I'd rather see the ground closed down than see that sort of thing.

I am astonished that it was allowed to be honest
  • Options
    Even if it was a net I think it's not allowed. If so the club might well be punished if the FA or FL choose to react.
  • Options
    Still quite dangerous
  • Options
    I was astonished that they did it as well!
  • Options
    Was probably well over capacity with a) people moving to North Lower and b) 35% increased security. Had there been a fire incident, I'm not sure the ground was fit for a quick escape. Especially as the first thing the stewards would do is rugby tackle those running from it...
  • Options

The pedantic me wants to know what the evacuation procedure was from lower north onto the pitch.

This what would of happened if an incident occurred meaning you could exit at the normal exit points?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Still quite dangerous

'specially if you were a cod.

fuss over nothing.
  • Options

So we get hemmed in and Burnley can just wander where they like after the game! The final insult for me!

Exactly what I thought.
  • Options

So we get hemmed in and Burnley can just wander where they like after the game! The final insult for me!

Exactly what I thought.
  • Options

Yeah that was incredibly odd. The TV cameras cut out right as all the Burnley fans wandered over to applaud the Charlton supporters and chant "we want Roland out." Class move from them, and I'm going to assume it's because of fan solidarity and not because they want all foreigners out of Britain (cheap BNP joke there, you deserve better Burnley).

I think saying supporters were "penned in" is a bit much, at least what I could see on TV (more may have happened after so apologies if I missed the incident). But the dichotomy was certainly very strange.
  • Options

Was probably well over capacity with a) people moving to North Lower and b) 35% increased security. Had there been a fire incident, I'm not sure the ground was fit for a quick escape. Especially as the first thing the stewards would do is rugby tackle those running from it...

Would somebody with knowledge of the conditions of the grounds safety certification be able to comment on the netting erected in front of the north stand. Surely there is a rate of people per minute evacuating a stand onto the pitch which the netting barrier would have seriously restricted. Were the club in breach of the stadium safety cert and risking our lives just to save their own embarrassment? Pyros were smuggled into the ground creating a fire hazard. If one of those thrown only reached the covered end seats it is a serious issue
  • Options
    I would think this something that CAST should raise. And hope that this thread will prompt them so to do.
    Given the Hillsborough decision it's mindblowing they should even contemplate doing this.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Would somebody with knowledge of the conditions of the grounds safety certification be able to comment on the netting erected in front of the north stand. Surely there is a rate of people per minute evacuating a stand onto the pitch which the netting barrier would have seriously restricted. Were the club in breach of the stadium safety cert and risking our lives just to save their own embarrassment? Pyros were smuggled into the ground creating a fire hazard. If one of those thrown only reached the covered end seats it is a serious issue
    does @Addickted still sit on the safety committee?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The reason Burnley got on the pitch is precisely because they nearly ended up with crush issues in their end.

We sit in west lower towards the away end. They tried to keep the gates shut but the weight of bodies behind got pretty intense and ultimately they had to give way.

I think they left it too long on one gate, no deaths thank god nor broken bones but it was getting a bit close and we saw one guy and his daughter who he was suggesting had been sick as a result of the crush and maybe they could stop with the wrist hold and just let them go...

Not sure Burnley would have attempted to get on if they had half the net force in front of them like they decided to put in front of the covered end.
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:

That's what I was thinking - it's symbolic of Hillsborough and a couple of fans at the end tried to pull it down - without success, obviously - so if it had needed to be removed in an emergency, there really would have been a problem. Yes, netting not fencing, but still inappropriate.

They would have practised removing the netting during the week and it would have had to meet stringent safety standards. There is no way that was put up there without prior consultation and permission from the FL. If they needed to remove it quickly it would have been down in seconds.

Lot of unnecessary drama on here about it. They put a net up!!! Of course they were going to do something to stop/reduce stuff getting chucked onto the pitch.
  • Options

TeslaGirl said:

That's what I was thinking - it's symbolic of Hillsborough and a couple of fans at the end tried to pull it down - without success, obviously - so if it had needed to be removed in an emergency, there really would have been a problem. Yes, netting not fencing, but still inappropriate.

They would have practised removing the netting during the week and it would have had to meet stringent safety standards. There is no way that was put up there without prior consultation and permission from the FL. If they needed to remove it quickly it would have been down in seconds.

Lot of unnecessary drama on here about it. They put a net up!!! Of course they were going to do something to stop/reduce stuff getting chucked onto the pitch.
    But we don't know any of that do we? You have faith in this regime to follow the rules that I don't I'm afraid!

Captures RD's approach to Fans in one photo!
  • Options
    Someone did try to pull it down and it wasn't co-operating!
  • Options
    Pretty sure the FA guy from last time out will have agreed the use of the net or suggested it.

It was pretty successful.

The flares made it through but a lot of stuff didn't and if it wasn't there I doubt we would have completed the game.
  • Options

Pretty sure the FA guy from last time out will have agreed the use of the net or suggested it.

It was pretty successful.

The flares made it through but a lot of stuff didn't and if it wasn't there I doubt we would have completed the game.

Can't call something successful if it blocks a legitimate exit for a fire. There would have been people piled up in thel' netting.

It may be looked at by the regime as successful but on the off chance of a fire or similar that could have cost a lot of lives. Not to be taken lightly especially when there are plenty of flares, lighters etc within the ground.
  • Options

TeslaGirl said:

Safety of spectators is nothing to do with the FL, although I gather they were pushing for such measures today. The council is the relevant authority. In fact, the pitch is not an escape route and given the net was placed to allow access to the track I can't see it was a crowd safety issue, to be honest.
  • Options
    It certainly seems to breach what the FA say about safety: "The last few decades have also seen many positive changes in the professional game and football stadia today are safe and welcoming places, offering good quality facilities to supporters. There are no pitch perimeter fences".

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/more/stadium-safety#vbEMuB9QkdxRTgoX.99
  • Options
    Stig said:

It certainly seems to breach what the FA say about safety: "The last few decades have also seen many positive changes in the professional game and football stadia today are safe and welcoming places, offering good quality facilities to supporters. There are no pitch perimeter fences".

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/more/stadium-safety#vbEMuB9QkdxRTgoX.99

Fence - not net. Let's be honest they worked out a practical solution which worked in their favour. We should have anticipated it, however
  • Options
    didnt tell me my seat had a restricted view before selling me a ticket...can I claim a refund?