Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My family's season. Relegation, Cancer and the sofa!!

edited May 2016 in General Charlton
Hi all,

Here is my story of the season...

CAFC agreed to let me have the fans' sofa for the Blackburn match, and for my step-son Adi, to be mascot . This was because the club accidentally gave me Katrien Meire's personal mobile phone number. The freebies were in exchange for me not publishing Katrien's personal phone number.

From the time of me organising the fans' sofa match until the actual date of the match, my partner Agnes was diagnosed with Cancer This was in December 2015. She is 34 years old .

However, Agnes attended the Blackburn game despite receiving chemotherapy and radiotherapy during that time, to see her son lead the team out.

Many thanks to my dad, Chris, who is also a life long Charlton supporter, who sat with Agnes throughout the game.

Until I met Agnes and Adi met they were Chelsea fans. I brought them to The Valley and they both fell for the Charlton, quickly forgot Chelsea, and became CAFC fans. As did our daughter Emma who was born in 2011.

Agnes has joined us in the protests, while receiving her treatment. Standing with me behind the West Stand despite her personal health issues. She is a true inspiration. Not only does she realise how important the club is to my family, but she has joined in the demonstrations herself. She has always understood my passion and has never questioned my attending games and protests during her illness. For that I thank her enormously.

In the last fortnight my nan has also been diagnosed with an aggressive form of Cancer. For myself and my family this is yet another blow.

The Royal Marsden Hospital is an inspirational place but it has to be witnessed to be believed. The quality of technology and staff is impressive. But they are under massive pressure.

Having spend much time at the Royal Marsden Hospital over the last 6 months, Agnes and I have decided to fund raise for The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity . I am doing a sponsored bike ride from Birmingham to Surrey on 26th to 28th May in aid of The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity.

This will involve me arriving in Birmingham and cycling unsupported and alone back to surrey, via the inland waterways. This is a journey of nearly 200 miles and will take 3-4 days. I will be sleeping in a tent by the canal.

I am asking for sponsorship for my journey. But I would also appreciate good advice and best wishes because I understand that many people are not in a position to offer sponsorship,

www.justgiving.com/matthewayscough

www.royalmarsden.org

Many thanks for reading Fattmatt (Matt, Agnes,Adi and Emma).

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I edited this comment because it was a bit mean. Sorry!
  • Options
    Matt, best wishes to you and your family.

An awful disease that causes so much pain to so many.

It sounds as though, despite the mess that this club is in, you've found strength in the Charlton community. And long may that continue.

Good luck on the ride.
  • Options
    Good luck. Cancer is a horrible illness that has left its mark on my family too. I'll gladly sponsor you
  • Options
    Matt, all the best on the ride. It's excellent that you're doing that, though I hold out hope for a time when we won't have to fundraise for hospitals.

I'm a poor cyclist and a worse outdoorsman, so all I can offer is well wishes :).
  • Options
    Good luck to you, sounds like you're definitely due some.
  • Options
    Here's wishing you all the best on your bike ride and your family on their battles.
  • Options
    Good luck Matt dreadful disease
  • Options
    Good luck Matt. As somebody who will be working for the hospital in the near future, I hope you achieve your goal! Inspirational stuff
  • Options
    Made that sad journey to the Marsden every day for six months with my dear sister, so I know what you're going through. Best wishes to Agnes for her treatment and for your bike ride.
  • Options
    Best wishes to both you and your family, cant offer any advice on cycling other than don't do it ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best of luck Matt, and I wish your family the best in beating this awful thing. My dad got some great care when he had cancer and we raised a lot of money in his memory for the people that made a difference to him. It's a great thing you're doing.

That said, we're still going to need that number... :wink:
  • Options
    Good luck Matt.
    Tents and bikes are my thing, anything you need to know pm me.

www.ukcampsite.co.uk is good for info regarding where to camp.
  • Options
    Good luck Matt, the Marsden is a wonderful hospital as my Lass will testify
  • Options
    Good luck Matt, both for the cycling and wirh your familiy's battles with cancer.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Just seen this thread, firstly good luck to you Matt, and of course best wishes to Agnes and your Nan for a positive outcome. I will be sponsoring you as well, great cause, and stay safe on the bike ride.
  • Options
    Good luck and my best wishes.
  • Options
    Good luck to you in your venture and to Agnes and your Nan in their battles.
  • Options
    Good luck, and much respect to you for your efforts and Agnes and your Nan for their fortitude.

• Options
    Good luck Matt and my best wishes to Agnes and your nan. I know how hard and evil cancer is but it can be beaten and hospitals like that and the people that care for you are truly amazing.
  • Options
    A big hug is sent to Agnes and your Nan - I wish you well. Good luck with the bike ride.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck Matt. Best wishes to your family.
  • Options
    Matt
    Please accept my sincere best wishes for your venture more importantly I hope your family beat this terrible illness. .just raise lots of money and may your family be healthy. ..Whilst we spend our time whinging about CAFC on here some things are more important. ..live love laugh and be happy
  • Options
    Good luck Matt, if you fancy going to a ride beforehand give me a shout. I'm sure you'll love the ride catch the bug like I did. All the best to your family. Donation on its way.
  • Options
    Good luck and best wishes for a positive outcome all round
  • Options
    Just seen this. Best of luck to you Matt, and my sincere good wishes to Agnes and your Nan. Have cancer myself and lost a close family member to it in the past year, so know a little of what you are going through. Will be happy to sponsor you.
  • Options
    Hi Matt. Wishing you and yours all the best in the months ahead. Have gladly sponsored you.
  • Options
    Good luck to you and your family Matt - wishing you all all the best.
  • Options
    Matt, good luck to you mate. I hope you and yours enjoy much better times soon.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Best of luck Matt, here's to a safe ride with not too many punctures (some, on a canal, are inevitable -and character building).

A story putting the importance of football in perspective.
  • Options
    All the best pal.