Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A dark day for democracy in the UK

In a blow to democracy, the vote to rename a new UK polar research vessel "Boaty McBoatface" has been overturned.

It will - outrageously - instead be named "RSS David Attenborough".

Comments

• Options
    Thank goodness sanity reigns!
  • Options
    Ah - but the underwater exploration vessel will be named Boaty McBoatface. So all is not lost...
  • Options
    Political correctness gone mad
  • Options
    So Boaty McBoatface is really David Attenborough ?
  • Options
    Bloody Thatcher!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    On a brighter note the yellow submarine carried on the ship has been named " Boaty McBoatface"
  • Options
    I think the person/people with the final responsibility for picking the name were in a no-win situation and have probably done the best they could. Also, let's be honest about it, having a research vessel called Boaty McBoatface would have made us the laughing stock of the scientific research community. It's a bit like the idea of naming that useless goon from Middlesborough as our PotY, funny for five minutes and then you have to live with it.
  • Options
    One of my mates used to have a girl he fancied in his phone as "Titty McFitty".
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

In a blow to democracy, the vote to rename a new UK polar research vessel "Boaty McBoatface" >has been overturned.

Except that nothing was overturned because it wasn't a poll they were merely asking for suggestions.They got it absolutely right to honour Sir David Attenborough, a man who is almost universally liked and respected.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Stig said:

LuckyReds said:

In a blow to democracy, the vote to rename a new UK polar research vessel "Boaty McBoatface" >has been overturned.

Except that nothing was overturned because it wasn't a poll they were merely asking for suggestions.They got it absolutely right to honour Sir David Attenborough, a man who is almost universally liked and respected.
    Dude, it was clearly a joke.. I even included an animation of a boat with a smiley face swimming.

You must be a right laugh at parties.
  • Options
    Well the next time I'm invited to a smiley boat face party I'd best give it a miss then and leave it to the five year olds.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Stig said:

Well the next time I'm invited to a smiley boat face party I'd best give it a miss then and leave it to the five year olds.

Not sure what that's meant to mean, but ok mate - you do that.

I'll be on board riding on them waves..

• Options
    Atleast it wasn't named after The Queen like everything else seems to be.
  • Options

Any chance of that number Neil? ;-))

• Options
    JonnyK said:

Any chance of that number Neil? ;-))

Haha!! Sadly not.

Would have been a good nickname for Gail Porter back in the day, thinking about it.
  • Options
    Oh. For a minute I thought this thread was about some sinister plan to abolish the BBC Trust and create a panel of politicians to run it instead.

But of course I must have just dreamed that.
  • Options

Oh. For a minute I thought this thread was about some sinister plan to abolish the BBC Trust and create a panel of politicians to run it instead.

Nah, I just want to discuss the big issues at the moment... ;)

On a serious note, I did see a few months ago that there was a plan to remove the BBC Trust and bring in a new regulatory body - is that going ahead then? I'd be a bit miffed, as I haven't seen much in the press here in the UK; apart from a Daily Mail article from March!
  • Options
    Miserable fks, missed a great marketing opportunity with that
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Nah, I just want to discuss the big issues at the moment... ;)

On a serious note, I did see a few months ago that there was a plan to remove the BBC Trust and bring in a new regulatory body - is that going ahead then? I'd be a bit miffed, as I haven't seen much in the press here in the UK; apart from a Daily Mail article from March!
    It's to be announced soon. Whittingdale's work. A body comprised of politicians is not "regulatory". I'll start a thread about it, of course.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whittlingdale is a shocker.