Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your favourite World Cup

Comments

• Options
    1990 as well

Part of football's fightback, after the dark days of Bradford, Heysel and Hillsborough. A great world cup, played in a proper football country

I remember Simon Mayo on Radio 1 choosing World in Motion as his record of the week...on merit, and that set the tone
  • Options
    1970 Pele Tostao Jairzinho Rivellino Yashin Beckenbauer Muller and erm Bonetti
  • Options
    As I am of a certain age obviously 1966 remember all the ships in the Royal Albert and Victoria docks sounding their hooters, people out on the street celebrating can't be beat really. Then 1990 really good England team, should have beat Germany and if we did we would have won the bloody cup!
  • Options
    1974, 1978 and 1982. Three great World Cup tournaments, one after the other.
  • Options
    Hang on 1970 another really good England team and the best Football team EVER Brazil won it....magnificent
  • Options
    And on a related topic, I still have warm memories of Euro 96, those crowds at Wembley all singing "football's coming home"

Was it really 20 years ago?
  • Options
  • Options
    78. First one I remember being really excited about and thought Mario Kempes was just excellent.
  • Options
  • Options

Hang on 1970 another really good England team and the best Football team EVER Brazil won it....magnificent

Agreed - the 1970 England team was better than the 66 one.

If that Brazil side was the best ever (and I don't disagree) then England were not far behind them. The match against them that we lost 1-0 to a Jairzinho goal was very even and we should/could have got a draw or even won the game. Bank's save, Moore and Pele swopping shirts, the tackle by Moore when Jairzinho was racing through - what memories.

We should have beaten W Germany - not Bonnetti's fault in my opinion, rather Ramsey taking Charlton off to rest him for the semi-final when he thought the game was won at 2-0. Up to that point Charlton had marked the Kaiser out of the game but when he went off it was Beckenbauer who took control.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1966 - There is no other.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Agreed - the 1970 England team was better than the 66 one.

If that Brazil side was the best ever (and I don't disagree) then England were not far behind them. The match against them that we lost 1-0 to a Jairzinho goal was very even and we should/could have got a draw or even won the game. Bank's save, Moore and Pele swopping shirts, the tackle by Moore when Jairzinho was racing through - what memories.

We should have beaten W Germany - not Bonnetti's fault in my opinion, rather Ramsey taking Charlton off to rest him for the semi-final when he thought the game was won at 2-0. Up to that point Charlton had marked the Kaiser out of the game but when he went off it was Beckenbauer who took control.
    Agree with the above. 1970 for me by a mile.
    Was a great fan of Rivelinho
  • Options
    Has to be '66 but didn't appreciate that might be the only win in my lifetime at the time. Loved 70 largely for England, but also for the awesome Brazil who were something else. Then the 90s because I began to believe we could do it again.
    Looking forward to the Euros after several years of indifference towards the England team.
  • Options
    1990-football, great music and a girlfriend who was 3 years younger than me.

although 86 was memorable for Wilkins getting sent off and Lineker's hat trick.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

1982. Never grow tired of watching the film from the tournament

1982 World Cup....I was doing my O Levels, remember having to run all the way home (from Swanscombe to Greenhithe) to watch the England v France game KO....just as well because Bryan Robson scored after 28 seconds. Brilliant performances by Italy (once they got going) beating Brazil, Argentina and then the Germans in the final.
  • Options
    Has to be 1966, but there's been lots of high spots in other years. Compared to the Euros, the World Cup is a country mile ahead. I can't honestly recall a memorable Euros besides the one in England.
  • Options
    1966. Went to the quarter final with my old man. Fantastic experience. 1970 was a great competition and we were very unlucky not to beat West Germany. How we haven't had the World Cup since 1966 is a travesty and bloody criminal.
  • Options
    '82 remember coming home from school and watching Brazil tear Italy apart 2-0 up then threw it away and lost 3-2. One of the best Brazilian teams. Watched the film G'ole over and over as a kid.
  • Options
    1990. Finished a night shift on the underground and drove straight to Turin.
    Hello Tavern. What a game.
    Happened to be in the right place at the right time when an Italian tout got turned over.
  • Options
    1990 for me for reasons already mentioned, the team the music etc, closely followed by 2002, I was working nights and finishing at 6am straight jnto the pub my mate was running for free brekkie snd beer!

Honourable shout out for 66 too as I was cconceived on the night of the final!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nug said:

'82 remember coming home from school and watching Brazil tear Italy apart 2-0 up then threw it away and lost 3-2. One of the best Brazilian teams. Watched the film G'ole over and over as a kid.

I still have the video! Loved watching it. The Brazil side were superb.
  • Options
    Another vote for 1970 from me. I remember the '66 world cup but by '70 i was a total football nut.

"Back home, they'll be thinking about us while we are far away......"
  • Options
    Another reason why 1990 is so great, in which other world cup has an England legend shat himself on the pitch like Lineker did against Ireland :smiley:
  • Options
    1970, for the magnificent Brazilian team and an excellent England side, who gave them their toughest game. The
    blurry black and white pictures from Mexico reinforced the impression that you were watching football from another planet.

After an unpromising start, I also hugely enjoyed the blossoming of the England team in Italia 90, although 1970 was the best for me.
  • Options
    Some cracking games in France 98 thinking about it - England v Argentina, Argentina v Holland, Holland v Brazil.
  • Options
    I was too young for USA '94 other than to know that it was happening. More or less the same for '98. 2002 was difficult to watch due to kick off times.

I think it's 2014 for me. It faded a bit in the knock-out rounds, and yet, THAT Brazil-Germany game happened and even though Brazil didn't look all that great, it still felt like watching a portal into another dimension.

Remember Spain versus Holland? With all the mental things that happened you can barely remember that but Silva was through on goal to send Spain 2-0 up just before halftime.
  • Options
    1970 everything about that tournament, the matches were great, colour TV, the Esso coins and of course the England matches v Brazil and West Germany. The final was one of the best if not the best team performance to win it.
  • Options
    I love the World Cup, 1982 probably my favourite because it was the first time I saw England qualify, plus the Brazil side was the best I've ever seen and that game with Italy was probably the best game I've seen.
  • Options
    1982 for me, as several people have said the official film was superb, narrated by Sean Connery too. The Brazil v Italy and France v West Germany games are easily two of the best World Cup games ever. Tardelli's goal celebration in the final a vivid memory.

Loved 1990 too for obvious reasons but nothing compares to 1982 for me.