Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Meires parents house visited

Comments

• Options

Big_Bob said:

Do the people against going to Meire's family house think dressing up as camels and singing ' we're all going on a summer holiday' will help them sell up?

Well done all the lads that went out there, good tactic IMO

Personally I don't agree with either, but it's not really meant to viewed as a comparison. There have been numerous CARD things that have not gained universal approval, that will always be the case.

There is a difference though in what you believe is effective in achieving your aims and what is deemed as acceptable behaviour. that's like saying there is no point in doing anything that isn't hard hitting / extreme.

It is purely about where do you draw the line. There is no universal place where we would all draw it, it's just to me, targeting associated family in their homes is past the line I personally would draw.

That's nothing to do with being nice, not wanting to impact wider support etc it's just involving family is not something I agree with.

It's clear though that not everyone agrees with that so I'll ask a question to anyone who thinks I'm being wet with that stance.

About five years ago I banned an overseas-based poster from here. Over the next year I kept getting emails about what a coward I was, how he was going to track me down and beat me up, how he was going to f*ck my mum etc.

What would you say if he come over from abroad, knocked on my parents door wanting to speak to them about me, and leafleted all their neighbours about the terrible way in his opinion I moderate a forum and impacted on his enjoyment.

Would that have been fair game?

So the leaflets were true?!! You really did ban my Nepalese cousin Tony ???

• Options
    So where is the line and who draws it?

I was under the impression that 'we don't do illegal' and from what I can see of this protest nothing about it was illegal.

Do all ideas need to be cleared or vetoed by CARD? If so, beyond the dozen or so people leading CARD how are the rest of us supposed to know what is or isn't being planned and to what parameters each protest has?

This weeks statement was clear. But I have - along with many others - been canvassed for my opinions by CARD and I assume that was as a result of those questions? I don't know and probably won't until two hours before kick off on Saturday.

I was part of the first Belgium visit and intend to go over again. My focus is on the owner and his businesses though. Having second thoughts now though in case some of the direct action I'd like to take maybe considered as distasteful, over the top or just puerile by people on here who I respect.
  • Options
    I say do what you like at his business Addickted, good luck to you but her parents have nothing to do with what their daughter does for a living and so don't deserve to have people turning up at their door.
  • Options
    Leave her parents alone. Target Pinocchio & Douchalot as much as you like.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Addickted said:

So where is the line and who draws it?

I was under the impression that 'we don't do illegal' and from what I can see of this protest nothing about it was illegal.

Do all ideas need to be cleared or vetoed by CARD? If so, beyond the dozen or so people leading CARD how are the rest of us supposed to know what is or isn't being planned and to what parameters each protest has?

This weeks statement was clear. But I have - along with many others - been canvassed for my opinions by CARD and I assume that was as a result of those questions? I don't know and probably won't until two hours before kick off on Saturday.

I was part of the first Belgium visit and intend to go over again. My focus is on the owner and his businesses though. Having second thoughts now though in case some of the direct action I'd like to take maybe considered as distasteful, over the top or just puerile by people on here who I respect.

Nobody has suggested that all protest ideas need to be cleared or vetoed by CARD, but pretty obviously if an idea hasn't been discussed by or even disclosed to CARD then it can't have been endorsed by it, whether the protest is lawful or not. It's no kind of argument that because a protest is lawful it must be sanctioned by CARD.
  • Options
    As long as it was done peacefully it might make her question her role now, is it worth it... hope it wipes that smug smile off her face..
  • Options

Much more of this creepy stuff and CARD might find itself in injunction territory.

Can't believe the stupidity behind this.

It wasn't CARD.
    I'm glad to hear it but would that distinction be important to Meire seeking some sort of protection for her parents in a foreign country ? The adverse publicity would be awful.

Others will know better, but I'd be surprised if a judge would be willing to injunct one group of people (CARD), the full identity and extent of which cannot be identified by the petitioner, on the basis of the actions of another group of people, also largely unidentified, in relation to something that the petitioner alleges happened in another jurisdiction.
    Thankyou Sir Humphrey ;0)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Big_Bob said:

Do the people against going to Meire's family house think dressing up as camels and singing ' we're all going on a summer holiday' will help them sell up?

Well done all the lads that went out there, good tactic IMO

Personally I don't agree with either, but it's not really meant to viewed as a comparison. There have been numerous CARD things that have not gained universal approval, that will always be the case.

There is a difference though in what you believe is effective in achieving your aims and what is deemed as acceptable behaviour. that's like saying there is no point in doing anything that isn't hard hitting / extreme.

It is purely about where do you draw the line. There is no universal place where we would all draw it, it's just to me, targeting associated family in their homes is past the line I personally would draw.

That's nothing to do with being nice, not wanting to impact wider support etc it's just involving family is not something I agree with.

It's clear though that not everyone agrees with that so I'll ask a question to anyone who thinks I'm being wet with that stance.

About five years ago I banned an overseas-based poster from here. Over the next year I kept getting emails about what a coward I was, how he was going to track me down and beat me up, how he was going to f*ck my mum etc.

What would you say if he come over from abroad, knocked on my parents door wanting to speak to them about me, and leafleted all their neighbours about the terrible way in his opinion I moderate a forum and impacted on his enjoyment.

Would that have been fair game?

That's where BFR went!

JOKE!
  • Options
    Wearing a black and white scarf or standing in a car park shouting at a window with the blinds down - or even keeping the moral high ground - isn't going to work, not in its own.

Whether I agree or not is irrelevant. The point is that these guys feel that have been driven to this and that is a concern for us all.

Fair play that they "did something" and as long as it's legal I ain't gonna dig them out for that.
  • Options
    Delivering a leaflet to the house as just one in a street is fine in my view.

Actual interaction with the parents is debatable and it depends on the circumstances.

If neighbours were also canvassed then interaction could be justified but targeting the parents and nobody else would be wrong.

All that said, from the description on here previously, I don't think anything untoward took place.
  • Options
    Just worth bearing in mind that Meire - who some suspect is not always honest and at times is given to exaggeration - may have told her parents that she has been intimidated and threatened in her role. Against that backdrop, a handful of supporters turning up on their doorstep at a weekend (I assume) may be seen by them as intimidating. Hence their reply that Squirrel Face was not their daughter. I get that.

I think that parents, unless they chose to speak out or get involved, are off limits. Much as I would argue against those who advocate getting the Burnley match abandoned, I think that this, portrayed in a certain way (as in Meire saying a bunch of yobs turned up on the doorstep of her elderly parents in Belgium at a weekend and terrified them) would undo so much of the excellent publicity we have been getting. Squirrel Face on the other hand, utterly fair game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If a group of strangers approached my elderly parents at their home without an invitation, on the grounds that I was doing a crap job at work, I would have a very serious sense of humour failure.

Sorry this is brainless and totally unacceptable. It is also counter-productive because it plays into the narrative of 'Ms. Meire, the vulnerable female victim doing her best in a man's world'.

Agree with this entirely, had I any parents left and this happened to mine, I'd be screwing.

It would probably make me more aggressive in response. It may make me retaliate in ways I know wind you up... Like not leaving... staying even longer and selling more of our decent players.
  • Options

Dislike. How to lose the goodwill and support card have

@superclive
    The Belgian 20 guys aren't CARD.
  • Options
    We got some weird fans
  • Options

In the interest of balance, can we have the dialogue of the short conversation which took place with her father?

Protester, "Hello"
    KM Dad, "No milk today thank you" *Slams door*
    Protester, "Oh"