Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Motivation and Fitness?

2»

Comments

• (As a 62 year old), I normally walk 10,000 steps and swim a mile 5 times a week. OK not killing myself - I’m hardly a natural tbh. The thing I have found though, is to keep the targets realistic. If you set the bar too high you are likely to fail and that in turn only discourages with the likely end result of doing nothing/giving up.

I agree with this, aiming too high initially will inevitably lead to disappointment.

In terms of actual exercises start slowly, but when you're got a bit more fitness do more intervals, rather than just jogging/cycling (in the gym or outdoors) at the same steady speed for ages

By alternating between fast and slow, whe sprints help raise your metabolism, and you get the benefit even when you're going slowly
  • With the money saved from beer and fags why not get a personal trainer?
    I can recommend Darren Selley at South London Urban Krav Maga. Have a look on YouTube.

He's good, reasonably priced, in Eltham and you'll be able to tear someone limb from limb when he's finished with you.
  • edited May 2016
    Stick to a training day routine and keep going even when you have days where you are fit enough to train and say to yourself 'I'll miss today and go tomorrow'. Turn this negative comment to 'I will go training today'.
  • Swimming agreed, is like Marmite. I was fortunate to start very early in life and loved every minute of it, but can understand how some find it boring. There are drills you can get from swimming manuals which help break the boredom but apart from that there's little you can do to vary things.

I've never tried open water, and don't really fancy it, but some find it different from repetitive pool lengths.

Now the decent weather's arrived must get down to Charlton Lido before the school holidays.

If I had give up cycling and running then so be it, but not sure what I would do if my swimming days were numbered.
  • Set yourself realistic goals/targets especially if you are going to the gym after work, some days it can be tough. If you are just getting back into it don't go in all guns blazing with weights, cardio and protein shakes.

Start off with some good, regular cardio work outs to get the weight down and get the heart pumping. Once you start looking a little leaner introduce some wight training.

Age plays a big part as well, the older you get the slower your metabolism will get. I am in my 50's now and have to work twice as hard at the gym to achieve results I was getting in my 40's never mind my 30's & 20's.