Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Times reporting that Riga is on his way

12346»

Comments

• Options

Oakster said:

Just what has Riga done to deserve the sack? This is disgusting. Whether you like Riga or not, you have to agree that this ridiculous turnover of managers is destroying the club. There is one thing that would get rid of this regime quicker than anything, and that would be for Jacko and the players to make a stand for the fans, for the club, and perhaps for Jose Riga, by sitting down in the centre circle and refuse to kick another ball for this club. What have they got to lose?, most are moving on anyway, and everyone in football is aware of the diabolical circumstances they are having to operate under. I doubt any future employer would hold it against them.
    Let RD try to run a football club where players refuse to play, it may be a world first. Over to you players, the fans have tried to do their bit, Jose tried to do his bit, now it's your turn. If you respect Jose Riga, Chris Powell, Phil Chappel and numerous other good people, and the supporters of this great club, make a stand and sit down on Saturday, it will make great TV!

I'd actually say it's the turnover of ridiculous managers.

Riga, much as I don't buy nto his "I love the club" schlock, is admittedly not as bad as Fraeye or Luzon. His departure back to obscurity, (and probably another Network job), represents the rotten regime's best chance to appoint an up & coming young manager with at least some know how at L1 level.
    I have to agree here. Riga is a very nice man and he conducts himself well but I think we really have to look at the standards we now set ourselves for managers. We loved Riga when he came in because we stayed up, but also because in the early days of RD immediately post-Powell we feared the absolute worst. Instead we got an articulate coach who said all the right things about the club and the fans, so we took to him. Then when he was asked back he was replacing Mad Dog Luzon and Karel 'Literally Satan' Fraeye. But really Riga's done a poor job on his return.

Look at the squad we have. In Pope and Henderson we have two keepers who are better than quite a few teams' number one. Our back four with the strengthening signings is actually very decent. Motta and Solly at RB, Fox and Yun at LB, Fanni, Teixeira, Lennon and Diarra for centre halves is strong. Johann, Cousins, Vetokele, Lookman, there's no way this side should have carried on its crap form once Riga took over and the transfer window closed. We can talk all we want about bad feeling in the club and how sad the players were and their confidence but a manager worth his salt would have lifted spirits, tightened up and started grinding out results. Like Warnock did at Rotherham. After we smashed Rotherham 4-1 at their place we should have gone into our next games raring to go, but instead we barely turned up against a relegation rival and it all went back to the bottom of the hill at the first opportunity. He's failed. He was brought in, backed with some new signings, blessed with a cluster of very winnable fixtures, and should have been able to lift players who were playing well below the standards they are capable of. Instead we lost to Bristol City, bore-drawed our way through MK Dons at home, managed to lose a game where we put three past the opposition at home and couldn't even score against Bolton to keep ourselves alive. Is Riga the best Network manager we've had? Yes. Is he good enough to manage the club on this evidence? No.

Personally I'm sick of looking at a bad hand and resigning myself to the least worst option. Can't wait until Roland sells up. And breaks another shoe.
    Pope, Fox, Johann, we're playing poorly before Riga arrived, he lifted their form as well as Cousins. Vetokele and Diarra were still out injured/lacked fitness for a long period under Riga. Riga brought in Teixeira, Fanni and Yun, but it takes time to integrate new players and once again, aside from Tex, they were lacking match fitness. Yes we should have followed through following the great result at Rotherham, but once again, we lost Vetokele, and the crowd v Bristol City was frankly, as flat as a pancake. Results on the whole could have been better, but when you take into account the mitigating circumstances and the tough fixtures, 5 wins out of 18 is not too shabby and certainly doesn't warrant the sack.
    This is terrible. Riga's brief was to win a relegation battle. He's won less than a third of his games, and one of his wins was after we were already relegated. If we can't beat a relegation rival because the crowd isn't cheerful enough then we really are hitting the bottom of the excuses barrel. I'm not saying Riga should be sacked even, I'm well aware that whatever RD brings in next will be worse, I'm just pointing out that are standards are far too low these days. 5 wins out of 18 is shabby. It's shabby, it's poor and it's contributed to our relegation. We deserved better.
    Sorry, but 20 points in 18 games is not terrible. It would have delivered 51 points over a full season and comfortable safety. What Warnock managed to produce was promotion form, and you're right Riga failed to produce promotion form, as did Bolton and MK Dons. Perhaps we expected too much from him after his last spell and some are marking him down because he failed to reach their expectations, I think that's unreasonable.
    He wasn't brought in at the start of the season though was he? He was brought in to try and drag us out of the relegation zone and he miserably failed. 20 points in 18 towards the end of the season with so much to play for, all the players he had available to him with loans/ returns from injury isn't very good at all. Don't get why people love him so much. He survived last time because the 4 games in hand we had made it look a lot worse than it was. As far as I'm concerned he's the biggest puppet of them all. More than happy to work for and get sacked by Roland 3 times. I'd be ashamed to work for him once let alone go back again twice.
    I'm trying very hard, but for the life of me I cannot understand why a compliant Puppet, would have his strings cut, not once but twice, by his puppeteers. If he was hopeless at his job and extremely unpopular, perhaps, but we know that not to be the case. He was very successful in his first spell and average this time in far worse circumstances.
    So let's assume he's the nice compliant puppet you and others think he is. Why is he about to be fired?
    You don't seem to be too familiar with RD, I take it Luzon is also a great manager in your eyes, as Roland has appointed him a few times too. He didn't do what he was appointed to do. Simple. I have no doubt he'll come scampering back if Roland wants him again though.
  • Options

Riga was brought in to keep us up. He didn't. All the others have been removed for not being good enough. Riga is in that category. It's not even like we were relegated on the last day or a week before the end of the season.

There were 64 pints available and we picked up les that a 3rd of those. Not good enough.

Any bloke that can pick up approx 21 pints should be the manager in my book :smile:
    Ha! that makes his effort even more shameful.
  • Options
    If Riga didn't use a tray to pick up 21 pints, that must be a Guinness world record?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

RedChaser said:

Agree with the bulk of this ^ we're almost on the same page Gary.

Hug?
    Yeh, why not, life's far too short and I'm not prepared to let Morgan Fox get in between us :wink: .
  • Options
    I do like Riga and think with this mob in charge he is the only person I would be happy to start the season with.

But if we didn't have Roland and his legion of rats, then would I want Riga? No, i think there is an option out there which suits the 'true Charlton Athletic' more.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but right now, I can't even bring myself to give a f*&# who the next manager is, because, if they are prepared to work for the megalomaniac nutjob that is our owner, then they don't have sufficient credibility for me to respect them in the slightest.*

Until RD has sold up, the taint on the club that I love will not be erased. The only thing I care about is that he gets his useless, deluded, incompetent, penny pinching arse as far away from SE7 as it's possible to go. When that happens, we can start the long business of rebuilding the club and we will be 'proper' Charlton again.

Right now, it's like our club is an imposter - and I can't bring myself to want to be associated with it - even more so, knowing that any success on the pitch will, unfortunately, validate RD in his own eyes and convince him of his own genius; that he was right all along and we were wrong, thus encouraging him to just carry on and on and on. If the club does succeed, it will be in spite of him, not because of him.

Actually, and I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but under RD's ownership - I only want us to lose. I don't want to risk any chance of him being encouraged to think that his, erm, 'ingenious' masterplan has worked as this will only make him continue to stick around. The moment he is gone that will change - in an instant.

*puts on tin hat*

*another reason why, like many others on here, I would hate to see JJ appointed. Another time and place, maybe; I would love to see him as part of the setup of the club, just not under these clowns.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The only thing I would say about the Hull game @cabbles was that I thought we were actually a bit better than the Tuesday before at Udders despite the extra goal against. We looked up for it and started brightly until that walking disaster of a 'centre back' Williams decided to take liberties as the last man near our half way line gifting Hull the lead. Heads went down and he then proceeded to get worse as the game went on! The rest is history.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

The only thing I would say about the Hull game was that I thought we were actually a bit better than the Tuesday before at Udders despite the extra goal against. We looked up for it and started brightly until that walking disaster of a 'centre back' Williams decided to take liberties as the last man near our half way line gifting Hull the lead. Heads went down and he then proceeded to get worse as the game went on! The rest is history.

And Hull are MUCH better than Huddersfield, everyone expected us to comfortably lose to them, whereas Udders are a comparable team to us
  • Options
    I like Riga and think he is a decent man manager but we are a basket case. Toxic? Oh yes. Nobody in their right mind should take us on but I suppose someone will. Someone desperate for a fair five figure salary and a chance to make a name for himself. Meanwhile us customers wait for our sham owner to sell up before we can get emotionally involved again.
  • Options

I'm sorry, but right now, I can't even bring myself to give a f*&# who the next manager is, because, if they are prepared to work for the megalomaniac nutjob that is our owner, then they don't have sufficient credibility for me to respect them in the slightest.*

Until RD has sold up, the taint on the club that I love will not be erased. The only thing I care about is that he gets his useless, deluded, incompetent, penny pinching arse as far away from SE7 as it's possible to go. When that happens, we can start the long business of rebuilding the club and we will be 'proper' Charlton again.

Right now, it's like our club is an imposter - and I can't bring myself to want to be associated with it - even more so, knowing that any success on the pitch will, unfortunately, validate RD in his own eyes and convince him of his own genius; that he was right all along and we were wrong, thus encouraging him to just carry on and on and on. If the club does succeed, it will be in spite of him, not because of him.

Actually, and I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but under RD's ownership - I only want us to lose. I don't want to risk any chance of him being encouraged to think that his, erm, 'ingenious' masterplan has worked as this will only make him continue to stick around. The moment he is gone that will change - in an instant.

*puts on tin hat*

*another reason why, like many others on here, I would hate to see JJ appointed. Another time and place, maybe; I would love to see him as part of the setup of the club, just not under these clowns.

I also haven't really wanted us to win since wanting them out either. Can't explain it, I know it seems dumb, but my logic is that the longer results continue to be shit, the less they have to hide behind
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with bigstemera
  • Options
    Course they are Colin.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Four names in the frame are
    Simon Clark who the players are behind , Chris Wilder and Steve Cotterill and D Freedman that's before Riga goes ....

This is lazy - even by your high standards. Anyway what happened to Wilmots?
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Simon Clark who the players are behind , Chris Wilder and Steve Cotterill and D Freedman that's before Riga goes ....

Now won't be Freedman. Couldn't agree terms.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Now won't be Freedman. Couldn't agree terms.
    Anyone wants paying a half decent salary won't be able to agree terms.

If you can't afford it Roland, sell to someone who can.
  • Options
    My slim and most likely forlorn hope is that a British coach such as Simon Clark or Nathan Jones might actually be a success.

This might just make Roland finally realise that it is him and his recruitment (of managers, CEOs, scouts and players) that is the problem.

He might see that the only way for him to recoup some of his losses is to get the club back into a condition, and division, where it has sone value to a buyer.

Bob Hope and no hope I know but I need a straw to cling to.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

The gift that keeps on giving