Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Times reporting that Riga is on his way

Comments

• Dave2l said:

Richard Murrary said it himself (while trying to sell the fans RDs vision). The most important relationship in a football club is between the owner and the head coach/manager.

And this where we go round in circles. Us fans won't trust anyone he hires to be his own man and not have Roly sticking his oar in.
  • jams said:

lets be honest - it'll be vignejvic

Yep. Pitchforks at the ready when this gets announced.
  • Yes, but you're all forgetting that each time we sack a manager, it gets better. Katrien said so.

Perhaps this is another "Weird / Unique " thing? "Better" actually meaning "worse" ?
  • Ridiculous. CW's name will crop up in connection with every sub Premier league team in need of a manager between now and August. Why the f**k would he move from a club where he has successfully outlived one shit owner to go to another in the same league?
    For the same reason Lambert left Colchester to go to Norwich, after hammering them the week before

Realistically, Northampton will go no higher than L1, whereas IF things are sorted off the pitch, Charlton have a very good chance of promotion.
  • jams said:

lets be honest - it'll be vignejvic

Or Chris O'Loughlin

It'll be the Irish guy that has just left St Trudien, he's young and therefore cheap, can be lured into English football easily as he has no experience at such a high level and can be manipulated because he's worked for Duchatelet before and will want this job to be his "big break".

• Duchatelet will think that us getting relegated proves that he was correct in his original decision to appoint vignejvic. He will wait until the season is finished, mass protests take a break for the summer, and then do his worst.
  • edited May 2016

Ridiculous. CW's name will crop up in connection with every sub Premier league team in need of a manager between now and August. Why the f**k would he move from a club where he has successfully outlived one shit owner to go to another in the same league?
    For the same reason Lambert left Colchester to go to Norwich, after hammering them the week before

Realistically, Northampton will go no higher than L1, whereas IF things are sorted off the pitch, Charlton have a very good chance of promotion.
    If he comes to Charlton he stands a good chance of another year of neglectful and dishonest owners after the nightmare of Cardoza, and potentially sabotaging his own career when we get relegated next year. I don't think he is the sort of manager to be impressed by a bigger stadium and a fading memory of 7 years in the premiership. The Cobblers have new owners, a new stand and there's nothing to say they won't do well next year. They haven't just hammered one or two teams, they've been unreachable at the top of their division for weeks and been promoted with 4 games to go in the face of nightmares off the pitch. We won't be the only team that fancies him, but we may be the least attractive.
  • Ridiculous. CW's name will crop up in connection with every sub Premier league team in need of a manager between now and August. Why the f**k would he move from a club where he has successfully outlived one shit owner to go to another in the same league?

I seem to remember a similar logic being applied to Eddie Howe, Bournemouth and Charlton and that was before we were owned by the Belgian mad hatter.
  • Has anything useful been posted here? Any facts?
  • Sponsored links:

• Simon Makienok will not be here next season - that's a fact!
  • pickwick said:

Simon Makienok will not be here next season - that's a fact!

There's a team that want simon makienok?
  • He is only here on loan he has no choice back to Italy
  • edited May 2016
    Mass home game protests cannot happen when there are no home games.

I think the club thinks that these are relegation protests that will stop in League 1. The challenge is to persuade them that they are wrong. The protests are not against relegation, they are more fundamental.

I seem to remember a similar logic being applied to Eddie Howe, Bournemouth and Charlton and that was before we were owned by the Belgian mad hatter.
    Didn't Howe go to Burnley that time? At that point, the Burnley job was probably the best one outside the Premier League as they'd just been relegated, held together their team, had cash and had no debts.
  • If they are British it'll be o'loughlin surely. Trusted member of the network and douche doesn't like having managers in a post for very long, it is part of his mantra isn't it, constant rotation?

I'm still expecting the king of indoor football. Maybe he can help run a kids indoor league during the week and encourage the next (only one they are interested in) generation to come along
  • IA said:

Ridiculous. CW's name will crop up in connection with every sub Premier league team in need of a manager between now and August. Why the f**k would he move from a club where he has successfully outlived one shit owner to go to another in the same league?

Didn't Howe go to Burnley about that time? At that point, the Burnley job was probably the best one outside the Premier League as they'd just been relegated, held together their team, had cash and had no debts.
    ...best run club in the league. 3rd season in the prem in 7 years, no debt and money in the bank. I would love to know what their year on year turnover has been. Sooner or later they will have that first team that keeps them up and they won't have got into debt to get there. Proper football club. I remember when people used to say that about CAFC.
  • Wouldn't surprise me about this Simon Clark. Everyone on the sponsor dinner thread said how highly he was thought of as a coach. Likely to be cheap. may be willing to work under RD having already been here.

I'll be honest, any appointment by this lot just won't cut it for me.
  • What captain would you prefer to see whilst the ship sinks? I think we need a good English captain who understands sinking ships and floating ships and is willing to take the sinking ship in hand so that it sinks better.
  • Sponsored links:

• It will either be Vignejvic or O'Loughlin, I can't see it being anybody else. Duchatelet has only ever appointed his own men, I can't see him appointing anybody that doesn't already know what he is about and isn't ready to tow the line. Clearly the reason Riga is off is because he doesn't just quietly do as he is told.
  • IA said:

Didn't Howe go to Burnley that time? At that point, the Burnley job was probably the best one outside the Premier League as they'd just been relegated, held together their team, had cash and had no debts.
    It must have been - they finished 1 pt above the Spanners.

Leicester were on the same pts as Smallwall. Palarse were 20th, Swansea getting promoted. Otoh, Portsmouth and Coventry were also in the Championship.
  • Have I missed out an a statement from the club or something? Why are there so many people talking about the possibility of a British coach? It seems quite counter-intuitive from everything we know about the regime.

• The cheapest option of all would be to appoint someone you are already paying.

Why not appoint an existing player as the coach? Particularly one who is very popular with fans?

When it all goes pear-shaped because he has zero experience and will get zero support or autonomy, the regime will have no blood on their hands and will have spent nothing to achieve getting out of jail.
  • Just what has Riga done to deserve the sack? This is disgusting. Whether you like Riga or not, you have to agree that this ridiculous turnover of managers is destroying the club. There is one thing that would get rid of this regime quicker than anything, and that would be for Jacko and the players to make a stand for the fans, for the club, and perhaps for Jose Riga, by sitting down in the centre circle and refuse to kick another ball for this club. What have they got to lose?, most are moving on anyway, and everyone in football is aware of the diabolical circumstances they are having to operate under. I doubt any future employer would hold it against them.
    Let RD try to run a football club where players refuse to play, it may be a world first. Over to you players, the fans have tried to do their bit, Jose tried to do his bit, now it's your turn. If you respect Jose Riga, Chris Powell, Phil Chappel and numerous other good people, and the supporters of this great club, make a stand and sit down on Saturday, it will make great TV!
  • Just what has Riga done to deserve the sack? This is disgusting. Whether you like Riga or not, you have to agree that this ridiculous turnover of managers is destroying the club. There is one thing that would get rid of this regime quicker than anything, and that would be for Jacko and the players to make a stand for the fans, for the club, and perhaps for Jose Riga, by sitting down in the centre circle and refuse to kick another ball for this club. What have they got to lose?, most are moving on anyway, and everyone in football is aware of the diabolical circumstances they are having to operate under. I doubt any future employer would hold it against them.
    Let RD try to run a football club where players refuse to play, it may be a world first. Over to you players, the fans have tried to do their bit, Jose tried to do his bit, now it's your turn. If you respect Jose Riga, Chris Powell, Phil Chappel and numerous other good people, and the supporters of this great club, make a stand and sit down on Saturday, it will make great TV!

I'd actually say it's the turnover of ridiculous managers.

Riga, much as I don't buy nto his "I love the club" schlock, is admittedly not as bad as Fraeye or Luzon. His departure back to obscurity, (and probably another Network job), represents the rotten regime's best chance to appoint an up & coming young manager with at least some know how at L1 level.
  • Agree with you mate, but what chance has anybody got with this lot in charge?

I was listening to the behind the scenes story of Leicester the other day, and the amount of people in the background that it has taken to get that club into that position is incredible.

As far as I am aware we don't even have a Chief Scout, so the likelihood is that we are ALREADY miles behind other clubs next year in terms of player acquisition.

The best we can hope for is a busted flush like Lee Clark or Paul Ince, but as others have said before can you really see RD going outside of the network?
  • Oakster said:

Just what has Riga done to deserve the sack? This is disgusting. Whether you like Riga or not, you have to agree that this ridiculous turnover of managers is destroying the club. There is one thing that would get rid of this regime quicker than anything, and that would be for Jacko and the players to make a stand for the fans, for the club, and perhaps for Jose Riga, by sitting down in the centre circle and refuse to kick another ball for this club. What have they got to lose?, most are moving on anyway, and everyone in football is aware of the diabolical circumstances they are having to operate under. I doubt any future employer would hold it against them.

I'd actually say it's the turnover of ridiculous managers.

Riga, much as I don't buy nto his "I love the club" schlock, is admittedly not as bad as Fraeye or Luzon. His departure back to obscurity, (and probably another Network job), represents the rotten regime's best chance to appoint an up & coming young manager with at least some know how at L1 level.
    I certainly wouldn't refer to Chris Powell as being a "ridiculous" manager. But hey, you never like to miss an opportunity to lay the boot into Jose Riga! As for him going back to obscurity, are you sure? Metz, Standard Liege, obscurity??? It's Charlton Athletic that currently risk going into obscurity.