Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Battle of the Bridge

13»

Comments

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Literally just passed the ground

P?
  • Options
    One of my all time favourite match memories, great atmosphere, great dirty game, fights on and off the pitch and a great night in Welling that evening, not much tops that for me.
  • Options
    When the match resumes after leaburns injury and "shitfit" the crowd can clearly be heard singing "you black bastard" over and over.Amazing how back in the day nothing was made of thjat type of thing .
  • Options
    timken said:

When the match resumes after leaburns injury and "shitfit" the crowd can clearly be heard singing "you black bastard" over and over.Amazing how back in the day nothing was made of thjat type of thing .

I will always remember walking past National Front recruiters outside the ground. It's amazing that Chelsea can go from that to having a team packed with foreign players within 20 years
  • Options
    To pragueaddick,yes it was wicks,a horrible dirty bastard,but then again we had Paul Miller,so people in glasshouses etc.
  • Options
    Ah yes ' Paul Miller '. Now he could tackle and had spirit - for me matched only by Derek Ufton in the distant past and in the not so long ago Jorge Costa......players whose skill was often mistaken for toughness.
  • Options

To pragueaddick,yes it was wicks,a horrible dirty bastard,but then again we had Paul Miller,so people in glasshouses etc.

Sure, but on the day, we needed his attitude.

As I recall, Lennie got shot of him after he was sent off for spitting. I was at the match at Selhurst when that happened.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/paulmaxiemiller/

He's had a successful career in finance after football
  • Options

never forget this game,I was nursing a broken arm sustained in an over 40s "friendly 5 a side" competition and was a bit concerned that it would all kick off between fans at the end.Players were rushed from the pitch and not allowed to acknowledge fans.I think Leaburn might still be looking for the bloke that chinned him.

I don't think his identity is in doubt, is it? It was Wicks, right?

Carlo was a colossus that day, they all stood up to be counted, but bloody hell, Paul Miller. I never liked the bloke much but he went on that pitch with the attitude that he wasn't leaving it on the losing side and would do everything to make sure that didn't happen. So when West seemed to break free in injury time, not only did he put in a superb sliding tackle, but I swear he karate-chopped West for good measure. And he was scrapping with Chelsea players in the tunnel after, too. Cometh the hour, and all that.

@PragueAddick
    Lennie tells a good tale about our crunch relegation game away at Newcastle. Miller called a private "unofficial" players meeting the night before and told each player to his face that we would not be relegated and any player that fell short in this game would have to "answer to him" personally.

We won 3-0 and stayed up via the play-off (up/down system) and the rest is history.
    Shame about the way PM left the club but I guess that is football.
  • Options

never forget this game,I was nursing a broken arm sustained in an over 40s "friendly 5 a side" competition and was a bit concerned that it would all kick off between fans at the end.Players were rushed from the pitch and not allowed to acknowledge fans.I think Leaburn might still be looking for the bloke that chinned him.

I don't think his identity is in doubt, is it? It was Wicks, right?

Carlo was a colossus that day, they all stood up to be counted, but bloody hell, Paul Miller. I never liked the bloke much but he went on that pitch with the attitude that he wasn't leaving it on the losing side and would do everything to make sure that didn't happen. So when West seemed to break free in injury time, not only did he put in a superb sliding tackle, but I swear he karate-chopped West for good measure. And he was scrapping with Chelsea players in the tunnel after, too. Cometh the hour, and all that.

@PragueAddick
    Lennie tells a good tale about our crunch relegation game away at Newcastle. Miller called a private "unofficial" players meeting the night before and told each player to his face that we would not be relegated and any player that fell short in this game would have to "answer to him" personally.

We won 3-0 and stayed up via the play-off (up/down system) and the rest is history.
    Shame about the way PM left the club but I guess that is football.
    Was that the same season as the Battle of the Bridge? Think it must have been. Did Carlo score in that one?

• Options
    Yes, Wasn't it Ipswich, Leeds, then Chelsea ?

Miller, Leaburn and Crooks I think.
  • Options
    Under Lennie in the top division.

First season we were in the playoffs and beat Leeds.
    Second season, the draw with Chelsea kept us up and Chelsea went into the playoffs and lost.
    Third season, we beat Derby 3-0 and secured safety with one game to spare.
    Fourth season, relegated.

• Options
    The Newcastle game was our first season in Div 1 86-87 under Lennie Lawrence and we needed to win to stay up. we then had to beat QPR at Selhurst (which we did). Then we had the famous play-off games.

The Chelsea game was the following season 87-88 and meant we avoided the play-offs by finishing above Chelsea on goal difference. So, Chelsea went in the play-offs, lost to Middlesbrough and were relegated.
  • Options
    It was a shame the way miller left the club as we needed players with his attitude,but all credit to Lennie,although spitting does not break legs,it is disgusting and has no place in football.
  • Options

https://www.linkedin.com/in/paulmaxiemiller/

He's had a successful career in finance after football

I have met Paul a number of times .He is very good company and a great story teller, although his greater achievements were in a Thfc Shirt
  • Options
    The Max Miller spitting, against Derby wasn't it?

Was at the battle of the bridge with Dad, we went as mad as everyone when Maxie scored.

The Chelsea kicking off in our end was something they did every home game apparently. They got sorted that day! Then the OB let back into the home crowd.
  • Options

The Max Miller spitting, against Derby wasn't it?

Was at the battle of the bridge with Dad, we went as mad as everyone when Maxie scored.

The Chelsea kicking off in our end was something they did every home game apparently. They got sorted that day! Then the OB let back into the home crowd.

I think the spitting was against Newcastle at home. I seem to remember that he was on his last chance for a previous wrongdoing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Miller spat at a ball boy at Norwich away ?
  • Options

Well he got sent off in a home game for spitting, that much I know. I had a good view of it. It was as stupid as it gets, because it had not been a dirty game, so heaven knows why he even did it, maybe something was said, but he was a seasoned pro. Lennie, quite rightly, expected better.

• Options
    Went to the Bridge with @guinnessaddick. We’d had quite a few before the game and had stopped at a newsagent along from the ground, where I got myself a lucozade. As we walked into the ground a young lad in front got pulled for being drunk and then we were asked if we’d been drinking too. Just this officer says I, showing him the lucozade bottle, and in we went...plastered!!!

Always remember Carl being brought round with the smelling salts and wanting to fight every Chelsea player.

Waiting for the ground to clear and there were two Chelsea fans in their West Stand who were still hanging around after the rest of the ground was emptied. They were giving the usual friendly hand signals to us and generally being twats. We just kept encouraging them as we watched a couple of coppers walk along the row to get them and drag the tossers out! Happy days!!! :smiley:
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Well he got sent off in a home game for spitting, that much I know. I had a good view of it. It was as stupid as it gets, because it had not been a dirty game, so heaven knows why he even did it, maybe something was said, but he was a seasoned pro. Lennie, quite rightly, expected better.

I think he spat at Fleck in a home game with Norwich. I also heard many a rumour about him liking a drink. At the time it made no sense as he we had no money and we were letting him go, sacked for nothing. I was very disappointed at the time but nobody else seemed bothered. Felt the same about Andy Jones tbh as I always thought he could get us goals.
  • Options
    But didn’t
  • Options

Home to Newcastle 2-2. We were 1-0 up (Paul Williams) and Miller got sent off for spitting at Andy Thorn. Went 1-2 down but Robert Lee cracked one in from the edge of the area with about 5 mins left.

It was the first of three consecutive 2-2's at home. Newcastle, Spurs and Aston Villa (all really good games).
  • Options
    I heard Miller stole a puppy off a child and force fed it to a vegan.

Had to go after that.