Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Battle of the Bridge

Comments

• Options

Anyone know how many of us went?

With no official figures back in the day it was just down to me to keep count. Thankfully the extra hour we were kept behind allowed me to complete said task
    4,778 give or take a few that were nicked during the game
    I was outside the turnstiles doing a headcount, 2,355.
  • Options

With no official figures back in the day it was just down to me to keep count. Thankfully the extra hour we were kept behind allowed me to complete said task
    Are you sure? I'm sure there were 18 more than that.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Their penalty, Gordon Durie was starting to dive just after the halfway line!!!

Yep. I was in line with that. Terrible decision but our horribly deflected equaliser was a magic moment.
  • Options
    Humphrey would certainly have been sent off nowadays. Enjoyed watching the 2 clips of the game. Happy memories.
  • Options
    Blimey the racism any time Morts or big Carl got the ball

I was at the game but first time I've watched that
  • Options
    Amazing day. More like 7,000 Charlton there.

Against Boro the Chelsea fans invaded the pitch after a steward opened a gate. The police eventually closed the gate. A Chelsea fan who was in the shed end told me that he saw one 'fan' so angry that he couldn't get on the pitch he was head butting a terracing bar in frustration. The Chelsea fans were pelting the Boro fans with stones from where the old dog track used to be. Times have changed. Chelsea far too middle class for that level of behaviour now.
  • Options
    I remember bits and pieces, I was only 9. It was probably a while after before I realised how bad it was. Strangely, dad took me to the Boro play-off second leg a few weeks later. I didn't understand why until more recently; I get to say I saw Chelsea get relegated.

And that was far worse after the game when The Shed stormed the pitch and even the stewards ended up punching each other.
  • Options
    Good memories.

Paul Miller always served Charlton well - brought character , fair bit of bruising , ferocious tackling , and occasionally outrageous behaviour........oh for the likes of him now.

• Options
    One of the best bits of the day was when the Chelsea boys made themselves known in our end & Pitts's girlfriend steamed into them. Brilliant. They weren't expecting the hiding they got, before the police helped them out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was that SJ?
  • Options

Are you sure? I'm sure there were 18 more than that.
    They were Chelsea.
  • Options
    I took 2 mates from University (their first ever game!)

Thinking back, it's remarkable that anyone could just turn up, hand over their cash and get in, in such an important game where things were likely to get pretty hostile, without any sort of id.

It would be like us playing Millwall, cash on the turnstile, with no checks for away fans in home areas or vice versa. In the playoffs!
  • Options
    Yes I was there with a couple of mates & was very impressed with the Charlton turn out. It kicked off in the pen next to us when they scored & think Nancy took her shoes off to hit them with alongside Selywn & co. Couldn't believe the old bill got the Chelsea out and let them back in the west/shed stands where they were applauded like Hero's. It was an interesting walk back to the car after the long lock in. Proud day to be a charlton fan with that result
  • Options
    'Corner flags' on the halfway line??? Forgot about those
  • Options
    30 years ago today...
  • Options
    Leaburn was a colossus that day.
    Proper Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'd forgotten that it was Leaburn who took the long throw, it seems odd to have a giant striker not in the box, but it was a great throw!

Those long throws were a Leaburn speciality - almost as good as a corner, distance wise.

Leeeeaaaaaaabbbbbuuuurrrrrnnnnn!!!!
  • Options
    I was at that one and going back on the tube was magical - like we'd won the cup or something! Great days. I think as it was the season after the Leeds play off final, it was just a relief not to be in the play offs again.
  • Options

I'd forgotten that it was Leaburn who took the long throw, it seems odd to have a giant striker not in the box, but it was a great throw!

Those long throws were a Leaburn speciality - almost as good as a corner, distance wise.

Later on in his career he had to stop taking long throws as on occasions it would put his back out.
    Not a lot of people know that!
  • Options

Later on in his career he had to stop taking long throws as on occasions it would put his back out.
    Not a lot of people know that!
    Maybe his back was DELAPidated.
  • Options
    never forget this game,I was nursing a broken arm sustained in an over 40s "friendly 5 a side" competition and was a bit concerned that it would all kick off between fans at the end.Players were rushed from the pitch and not allowed to acknowledge fans.I think Leaburn might still be looking for the bloke that chinned him.
  • Options
    Always remember this as my first away day on my own at 16 years old with my brother and a friend. Great days......
  • Options
    Literally just passed the ground
  • Options
    Remember Dorigo had a shot late on, went past our defence and goalkeeper, thought it was in but went the wrong side of the post.