Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SLP: CARD will NOT seek to get Burnley game abandoned

Comments

• Options

LuckyReds said:

markmc68 said:

So we really want to behave like the Neanderthals from down the road ?

As you openly point out in your follow up post, the "neanderthals from down the road" invaded a pitch and slapped an opposition player when they were running high in the play-off positions. That you seem to be under the illusion that they'd be as restrained as we have - when we've been relegated with hardly a wimper, and are being actively ran in to the ground - is quite clearly not true.

This is always trotted out but what protests did they make last season when they went down?

No, their owner isn't as bad as Roland but there was a lot of unhappiness about the state of their club from their fans but they were, if anything, more restrained than us.

There image is one thing and invading the pitch and slapping an oppo player another but neither measure up to the sustained, varied campaign by Charlton fans so far. Our protests have drawn near universal approval.
    I take your point, but fear you've misunderstood the sentiment in which my post was intended. You've been a tad disingenuous by omitting parts of my post which specifically put that paragraph in context though.

Essentially I'm saying that were Millwall fans were facing our issues, and had already mobilised thousands of fans to protest, then the chances of them being as well behaved (i.e restrained.) as ours is small. This was in the context of Mark's initial comments bringing with it a rather unflattering comparison with those fans who assaulted an Oldham player.

The comment about going down with "hardly a wimper" was more with regards to the club on the pitch, to be near on 10 points in the dirt and with horrific goal difference is atrocious. As nice as some of our players seem - we've had a few horrific performances this season, and been plagued by the same problems again and again and again.

Whilst Millwall fans had to contend with a relegation, thats all they were contending with. In contrast, some of us welcomed the prospect of relegation if it meant a change of ownership - which puts things in to perspective. I don't think they'd have been so restrained and played by the books so nicely should they have found themselves in our situation. Quite rightly too, we're better than that, and due to both the creativity and class demonstrated by CARD we have indeed drawn "near universal approval" - long may it continue until the war is won!
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

PeterGage said:

I have read this thread with interest.

As I have said many times before, I fully support the actions of CARD, which have been effective in the sense of achieving positive media coverage (which I believe is so important to the cause); which have been topical, inventive and original. Most importantly, it has been legal and has thus retained the moral high ground. Long may it continue to a point where the owner sells, be that in the short, medium or long term.

Undertaking illegal activities is not my personal "cup of tea", but I would not impose my views on others - each to their own.

I do however look with interest at the forthcoming action from the seemingly perpetrators of the alternative and more "aggressive" stance. Will it be another pitch invasion of two (no if's and but's), or just more talk, or even action to match their grand words. Only time will tell.

Peter - we have stood together before CARD were formed handing out leaflets!

Thanks for taking the piss - many have :smiley: but again i want to be clear I'm not planning anything at the match - I'm helping others as they have asked for advice.

As far as i can see no one has publicly said they plan to do anything. only CARD. so i wouldn't expect anything more than what CARD are doing - perhaps an extension of what CARD has planned? everything i have advised on has been relating to postponement.

Anyway point is you will be let down if you are expecting more :smiley:

I did just think about throwing teabags - powdered milk and some of those pink wafers on the pitch for the tea and blanket brigade. wouldn't want to hurt anyone ;)

I also respect what you do for CARD! YOU ARE CARD! and hundreds of other volunteers! keep it up all of you truly you guys are doing a great job! that's not in question here IMO - it is just the effectiveness i suppose.
    Whether you think it's effective or not, as you say it's the only organised protest planned for the match on Saturday so why don't you (and others) throw your weight behind it and volunteer.

In fact why don't all you in the Belgium20 throw your support behind CARD. Do your own as an extension of that but we all want the same thing. If everyone backed up the actions by other fans then they would be a lot more effective.
    tbh Canters, i'm not sure there is a publicised CARD protest out there? - or am i being stupid?
    Jeez, of course it's not publicised that is the whole point. Don't publicise it and don't give the club time to plan to stop it. It's really not that difficult and tbh if I was CARD (which I'm not). I'd be reluctant telling you guys the plan, when you want to blab on here in advance.
    Cheers, i get it now CE.
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

PeterGage said:

As I have said many times before, I fully support the actions of CARD, which have been effective in the sense of achieving positive media coverage (which I believe is so important to the cause); which have been topical, inventive and original. Most importantly, it has been legal and has thus retained the moral high ground. Long may it continue to a point where the owner sells, be that in the short, medium or long term.

Undertaking illegal activities is not my personal "cup of tea", but I would not impose my views on others - each to their own.

I do however look with interest at the forthcoming action from the seemingly perpetrators of the alternative and more "aggressive" stance. Will it be another pitch invasion of two (no if's and but's), or just more talk, or even action to match their grand words. Only time will tell.

Thanks for taking the piss - many have :smiley: but again i want to be clear I'm not planning anything at the match - I'm helping others as they have asked for advice.

As far as i can see no one has publicly said they plan to do anything. only CARD. so i wouldn't expect anything more than what CARD are doing - perhaps an extension of what CARD has planned? everything i have advised on has been relating to postponement.

I did just think about throwing teabags - powdered milk and some of those pink wafers on the pitch for the tea and blanket brigade. wouldn't want to hurt anyone ;)

I also respect what you do for CARD! YOU ARE CARD! and hundreds of other volunteers! keep it up all of you truly you guys are doing a great job! that's not in question here IMO - it is just the effectiveness i suppose.
    Whether you think it's effective or not, as you say it's the only organised protest planned for the match on Saturday so why don't you (and others) throw your weight behind it and volunteer.

In fact why don't all you in the Belgium20 throw your support behind CARD. Do your own as an extension of that but we all want the same thing. If everyone backed up the actions by other fans then they would be a lot more effective.
    tbh Canters, i'm not sure there is a publicised CARD protest out there? - or am i being stupid?
    No in fact you are right. Nothing has been released yet. I was working in the assumption that there would be something going on.

I would like to meet you mate (another Surrey fan on here) so if you are up for volunteering I would love to have a pint with you. We usually meet at the Oak before the game and I will be there after as well on Saturday.
    Sure mate - we are all meeting elsewhere (normally at Oak, but for security reasons its somewhere else on saturday :) ) but i'll buy you a pint and would love to talk cricket instead of all this protest bollox. We are going to The Oval for Surrey v Kent 20/20 game this year - maybe we could organise a CL meet-up - would be brilliant , what do you think?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

LuckyReds said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

LuckyReds said:

markmc68 said:

So we really want to behave like the Neanderthals from down the road ?

As you openly point out in your follow up post, the "neanderthals from down the road" invaded a pitch and slapped an opposition player when they were running high in the play-off positions. That you seem to be under the illusion that they'd be as restrained as we have - when we've been relegated with hardly a wimper, and are being actively ran in to the ground - is quite clearly not true.

If we were to act like neanderthals there would've already been pitch invasions, the directors box would've been under more pressure than a one off group of fans chanting at the gate, and our protests likely would've already involved numerous arrests. That such continued pressure has been applied to the club via CARD, and to my knowledge with 0 arrests, is a testament to how well mannered things have been.

Not to mention, there has been no talk of actively attacking players - be they Charlton or opposition. Implying that is quite offensive to those involved in the protests.
    This idea if you aren't with CARD you are a thug or whatever is damaging to the protest movement I would say!
    Not really what I said, is it mate?
    It wasn't directed at you, sorry it was just a general statement at the conversation.

and also markmc68 comment
    Oh, I've no idea where Mark's comparison with Millwall fans came from - utterly bizarre!

I agree though, if other fans want to seek alternative means of voicing their opinion then - to be quite honest - that's their right, and they have as much right as anyone else. I can understand CARD wanting them to keep their own organised and "clean" approach though.

CARD have taken on a pretty good position with the protests - playful and creative, with a clear message but willing to play by the law. It's very convenient when they make a release like this and confirm that image even more. It's vocal and it gets the message across, whilst people seem to completely approve of them. A very good face for the protests.

If others want to do stuff though.. the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned!
  • Options
    Canters - Surrey v Kent Friday 29th July
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

PeterGage said:

No in fact you are right. Nothing has been released yet. I was working in the assumption that there would be something going on.

I would like to meet you mate (another Surrey fan on here) so if you are up for volunteering I would love to have a pint with you. We usually meet at the Oak before the game and I will be there after as well on Saturday.
    Sure mate - we are all meeting elsewhere (normally at Oak, but for security reasons its somewhere else on saturday :) ) but i'll buy you a pint and would love to talk cricket instead of all this protest bollox. We are going to The Oval for Surrey v Kent 20/20 game this year - maybe we could organise a CL meet-up - would be brilliant , what do you think?
    Yeah would be good to put a face to the username. :)

I think I am also going to that game! May take a Roland Out flag to put on show! Yeah a CL meet would be good!
  • Options

We'll stuff them.
  • Options

We'll stuff them.
    Bloody hope so as we aren't gonna get much joy in the championship this year!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We'll stuff them.
    Mind you Billings had a good debut IPL innings yesterday. then again, isnt he signing for us soon ? :wink:
  • Options

We'll stuff them.
    Mind you Billings had a good debut IPL innings yesterday. then again, isnt he signing for us soon ? :wink:
    Yes that's what we need! More keepers!
  • Options
    Well, that was a 'lively discussion' - night !
  • Options
    Nick, of course we will all be there, and (despite what everyone seems to think) fully supporting CARD - I certainly have never suggested otherwise, and wouldnt want anything else.
  • Options
    How very Charlton. How very predictable. All the while we are the 'family club'. All the while we are polite, mature, sensible supporters, the longer we will be stuck with this lot. The day We say 'fuck it' and spoil the last day of the season, the day we get the game abandoned, the day the club incurs a massive fine and the game has to be replayed or we get points deducted next season, the day we make hard to read headlines around the country making people realise how serious we are and make the FA uncomfortable with questions that need answering......that'll be the day the penny drops.

Still, I'm sure we can all turn out for Burnley, get behind them, and all have a great day, giving them a well deserved round of applause for winning promotion, a bit like we did last season with Bournemouth. We are such nice fans aren't we.
  • Options
    braydex said:

How very Charlton.

Because that's who we are.

• Options
    Nick CARD have our full support! That aim was to cause a debate and kick the hornets nest. The responses were interesting and good feedback for CARD which is good to see!

See you on Saturday probably. Hopefully not from the back of a meat waggon lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I did have a funny idea (inspired by the president) he currently has @Mametz top hat and suggested he needed it to smuggle stress balls in on Saturday!

I thought how funny would it be if everyone bought these:

Surely they can't ask you to remove your hat lol
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @The_President I have just caught up with this thread and have lost a lot of respect I had for you.........can't believe you're Surrey a fan!
  • Options

Mametz said:

Mametz said:

I was quite concerned that serious disruption would backfire on us. I am glad CARD has taken the right decision.

I was quite concerned that serious disruption would backfire on us. I am glad CARD has taken the right decision.

Is it the right decision though?

How would serious disruption backfire on us as fans? If you are inferring a points deduction I would suggest that having Roland in charge has cost us more than twenty points this season. All the goodwill in the world from other clubs isn't going to shift the bastard. The National press are already getting bored and much of the local press will follow suit after a while. There seems to be an obsession with being nice. Burnley fans will be grateful to us on Saturday and then they will forget about us as their club, that probably has a smaller fan base than ours and a smaller ground, go two divisions above us.

Having Roland and his family (don't forget his son has a penchant for owning clubs ) run us for generations would be the worse thing that could backfire on us.
    Only time will tell what is the right decision; maybe, I was wrong to say definitively that it is the right decision. At this stage, I believe it is the best decision. I think to damage an exciting Championship top of table final day could lose us a lot of friends in the media, at other clubs and ultimately within our supporter base. Further, it could cause crowd trouble with a large Burnley contingent.

A points deduction or ground closure might not be in our best interests. It's ok saying it damages RD but it might go beyond that. I have a feeling the FA will over react if we spoil the last day and, to a great extent, I can see their point.

To me, going out with a bang this season is not that important. Showing we will be there in force at the start of next season if RD remains is a much tougher challenge for CARD but far more important.
    Ok. I still feel that having Roland as an owner is far worse than anything the FA will do to us. I also worry that "we" won't be there in force at the start of next season.

However CARD have not said that they do not plan anything on Saturday. I just hope that any protest has real impact and hurts the regime in a meaningful way rather than a jokey affair that will just get lost in the coverage of Burnley's promotion.
    This is the key point here that is imho being overlooked.

There will still be protests according to the CARD statement.

Now if that is just one guy with a "down with this sort of thing" banner then people can be disappointed.

We all have a choice.

Volunteer to help with whatever CARD have planned (that's mine), do your own thing (good on you and good luck) or be like the laughable idiots on Facebook digging out @rikofold while talking tough behind a keyboard but who will do nothing.

SIOIBAW
    When I first read this I was wondering why you were calling yourself Siobhan, and it not even the weekend too....
  • Options

got a lot of respect for what you have achieved Pres as I do believe you were a driving force in the Belgium protests, however the other geezer is giving it the Bertie big bollox , and wants us to bow at his feet, well sunshine many of us fought for our club 30 years ago and will do it again, but don't need the self adulation, I'm glad you are taking a back seat soon coz you are gettin on my tits.

• Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

Nick CARD have our full support! That aim was to cause a debate and kick the hornets nest. The responses were interesting and good feedback for CARD which is good to see!

I've gone right off you. Stirring and using too many !!!!! in your posts
  • Options
    I just hope there is at least some disruption like there has been for the last few weeks. It's been the only fun thing about going to the valley recently.
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

I've gone right off you. Stirring and using too many !!!!! in your posts
    Valid reasons :smiley: C4FC4L1f3 Is a dick I agree.
  • Options
    Getting items into the ground is going to be more difficult this Saturday than other times.

The early kick off will mean people will arrive at the Valley much closer to kick off time leaving less time to organise and distribute things.

It seems that it is going to be warm so people will be wearing less meaning less places to hide things.

I think that the amount of searches are going to stepped up.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

braydex said:

How very Charlton.

Because that's who we are.

And maybe that's why this prick and his crew chose us and are still here...