Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SLP: CARD will NOT seek to get Burnley game abandoned

Comments

• Options

PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

I have read this thread with interest.

As I have said many times before, I fully support the actions of CARD, which have been effective in the sense of achieving positive media coverage (which I believe is so important to the cause); which have been topical, inventive and original. Most importantly, it has been legal and has thus retained the moral high ground. Long may it continue to a point where the owner sells, be that in the short, medium or long term.

Undertaking illegal activities is not my personal "cup of tea", but I would not impose my views on others - each to their own.

I do however look with interest at the forthcoming action from the seemingly perpetrators of the alternative and more "aggressive" stance. Will it be another pitch invasion of two (no if's and but's), or just more talk, or even action to match their grand words. Only time will tell.

It was all going well til the last paragraph.
    Maybe tell us what YOU are doing? Sitting in your armchair , maybe? or going off to the Burger stall with your black-and-white scarf on ?
    As with most league games (164 mile round journey), I will be fully supporting CARD in what ever way I am needed. In the past, that has been handing out leaflets etc and contributing financially. Actions not words are needed.
    Peter, i've just been informed you are the bloke who dresses as the donkey - i totally respect you for that and apologise if my flippant comment was taken the wrong way - i apologise.
    Apologies are not necessary. We all do our bits in whatever way we think will achieve the end result. I simply don't think that undertaking any illegal activities is the right way forward.

Enjoy your day on Saturday.
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Without being in any way involved (& fair play to those who are) I'm sure that the Belgian protests will be the thing that causes him more grief so I hope the guys can keep it up or some extras can get involved (yes it's easy to say without doing it myself) but we also have to keep the pressure up at matches as well & whatever close season stuff can be arranged. Keep it up on two fronts, eventually we'll win.

There is no further plans for Belgian protests as i understand it.
    None......currently ! :smile::smiley::wink::neutral:
    We are talking protest not brewery mate :tongue:
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

As I have said many times before, I fully support the actions of CARD, which have been effective in the sense of achieving positive media coverage (which I believe is so important to the cause); which have been topical, inventive and original. Most importantly, it has been legal and has thus retained the moral high ground. Long may it continue to a point where the owner sells, be that in the short, medium or long term.

Undertaking illegal activities is not my personal "cup of tea", but I would not impose my views on others - each to their own.

I do however look with interest at the forthcoming action from the seemingly perpetrators of the alternative and more "aggressive" stance. Will it be another pitch invasion of two (no if's and but's), or just more talk, or even action to match their grand words. Only time will tell.

It was all going well til the last paragraph.
    Maybe tell us what YOU are doing? Sitting in your armchair , maybe? or going off to the Burger stall with your black-and-white scarf on ?
    As with most league games (164 mile round journey), I will be fully supporting CARD in what ever way I am needed. In the past, that has been handing out leaflets etc and contributing financially. Actions not words are needed.
    Peter, i've just been informed you are the bloke who dresses as the donkey - i totally respect you for that and apologise if my flippant comment was taken the wrong way - i apologise.
    Apologies are not necessary. We all do our bits in whatever way we think will achieve the end result. I simply don't think that undertaking any illegal activities is the right way forward.

Enjoy your day on Saturday.
    Probably the first and last time i apologise to someone who dresses as a donkey - but hey,ho - you never know !
  • Options

Mametz said:

I was quite concerned that serious disruption would backfire on us. I am glad CARD has taken the right decision.

I was quite concerned that serious disruption would backfire on us. I am glad CARD has taken the right decision.

Is it the right decision though?

How would serious disruption backfire on us as fans? If you are inferring a points deduction I would suggest that having Roland in charge has cost us more than twenty points this season. All the goodwill in the world from other clubs isn't going to shift the bastard. The National press are already getting bored and much of the local press will follow suit after a while. There seems to be an obsession with being nice. Burnley fans will be grateful to us on Saturday and then they will forget about us as their club, that probably has a smaller fan base than ours and a smaller ground, go two divisions above us.

Having Roland and his family (don't forget his son has a penchant for owning clubs ) run us for generations would be the worse thing that could backfire on us.
    Only time will tell what is the right decision; maybe, I was wrong to say definitively that it is the right decision. At this stage, I believe it is the best decision. I think to damage an exciting Championship top of table final day could lose us a lot of friends in the media, at other clubs and ultimately within our supporter base. Further, it could cause crowd trouble with a large Burnley contingent.

A points deduction or ground closure might not be in our best interests. It's ok saying it damages RD but it might go beyond that. I have a feeling the FA will over react if we spoil the last day and, to a great extent, I can see their point.

To me, going out with a bang this season is not that important. Showing we will be there in force at the start of next season if RD remains is a much tougher challenge for CARD but far more important.
    Ok. I still feel that having Roland as an owner is far worse than anything the FA will do to us. I also worry that "we" won't be there in force at the start of next season.

However CARD have not said that they do not plan anything on Saturday. I just hope that any protest has real impact and hurts the regime in a meaningful way rather than a jokey affair that will just get lost in the coverage of Burnley's promotion.
  • Options

C4FCL1F3 & The_President, you are doing yourselves no favours at all.

I'm not sure precisely what you are trying to achieve on this thread, but I suggest whatever it is, your words are counter productive.

Please stop digging out fellow fans & just get on with "saving our club" in your way as others are in theirs.

We aren't looking to do ourself favours why are so many fixed on that? We don't care about favours or opinion we leave to others :)

We are provoking debate! We have achieved that!

What fans are we digging out CARD are anonymous :wink:
  • Options
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
  • Options

I'm not sure precisely what you are trying to achieve on this thread, but I suggest whatever it is, your words are counter productive.

Please stop digging out fellow fans & just get on with "saving our club" in your way as others are in theirs.

CE - i am listening, but feel that i am being victimised here ! - my only 'digging out' was to people who wanted the 'fair to Burnley' stance to be heard - i have made it clear that i hate this with a passion - and thats my opinion - however, my opinion seems to be villified - fair enough.
    Apart from that i have 'tried' to be constructive and not to retaliate to goading and ill-minded criticism - if you re-read my posts i think you will find that. It just seems its back to the situation which cafc4lif3 and i are suggesting in that everything CARD do and say is correct regardless and that we should follow accordingly - are we not allowed to express our views ? Or are our views regarded as wrong regardless? There have been plenty of posters who have expressed similar views as us on this thread, yet we're still mentioned as 'doing ourselves no favours ' and our words are counter-productive.
    I suggest you re-read all our coments from the top with a clear mind.
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Without being in any way involved (& fair play to those who are) I'm sure that the Belgian protests will be the thing that causes him more grief so I hope the guys can keep it up or some extras can get involved (yes it's easy to say without doing it myself) but we also have to keep the pressure up at matches as well & whatever close season stuff can be arranged. Keep it up on two fronts, eventually we'll win.

If money was no object (and aren't we all fabulously wealthy), I might be inclined to suggest hiring a mobile video advertising lorry/van and have some of the anti-RD videos played in certain appropriate Belgian locations.

Just a thought.
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

If money was no object (and aren't we all fabulously wealthy), I might be inclined to suggest hiring a mobile video advertising lorry/van and have some of the anti-RD videos played in certain appropriate Belgian locations.

Just a thought.
    We planned to do that on his apartment to block and new restaurant! Didn't have the time. We know a guy though ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

The best way, give 'em a surprise now & again :-)
  • Options
    If only there were a professional body that was prepared to exercise some authority and facilitate professional ownership of the clubs that were a part of it.

Nope, just the FA.

Good luck to all the protests this weekend.

The shared goal is for RD to sell up and to a buyer who has promotion as a goal.

He seems either obstinate or unusually ill informed which is a shame.

Ultimately he will go and that will be a happy happy day.

As someone who has only reluctantly embraced in game protests and only then because of the severity of the position we are in, I am personally pleased that CARD has not chosen to try and organise an abandonment.

That does not stop anyone else from trying to do so although I would imagine it would make it harder.

I think an abandonment may possibly be more forceful a statement although I'm not convinced. It may well be, I just don't agree with it.

Not because I want to be fair to the burnley fans, I couldn't give a shit about them.

Not because I'm not angry, because I am, but because I am personally very proud of the way everyone has protested to date and it has made the season for me.

Getting the game abandoned and Roland still not leaving would be the worst end to an awful season.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

CE - i am listening, but feel that i am being victimised here ! - my only 'digging out' was to people who wanted the 'fair to Burnley' stance to be heard - i have made it clear that i hate this with a passion - and thats my opinion - however, my opinion seems to be villified - fair enough.
    Apart from that i have 'tried' to be constructive and not to retaliate to goading and ill-minded criticism - if you re-read my posts i think you will find that. It just seems its back to the situation which cafc4lif3 and i are suggesting in that everything CARD do and say is correct regardless and that we should follow accordingly - are we not allowed to express our views ? Or are our views regarded as wrong regardless? There have been plenty of posters who have expressed similar views as us on this thread, yet we're still mentioned as 'doing ourselves no favours ' and our words are counter-productive.
    Ok, I've reread & here are 4 counter productive posts. Like I say, we are on the same side aren't we ?

1 Oh, how quaint it is to be a lidl ol Charlton fan.

2 Thank you Goonerhater - at last someone who can look beyond CARD.

And all those people who think its 'not fair' on Burnley or any other team - do me a favour and just eff off and support another team.A bigger load of bollox i have not heard before, and can only come from a Charlton fan- you personally deserve RD for the rest of your supporting life.

3 Sounds promising Neil , do you want me to find out where AFKA lives ? - it seems i'm pretty expert at that recently !

4 It was all going well til the last paragraph.

If you need more help/support just start a new thread and ask for people to PM you. It won't help to criticise others and make public your plans, but you've been advised of this before.

Anyway, I'm only trying to help, so I'll leave it there.

Good luck with whatever you come up with & thanks.
  • Options
    BTW, both c4fc4lif3 and i have the 'Katrien out' banners - do we bring them this Saturday?
  • Options
    PWR.

Good. I think it's the right decision and they'd seed the moral high ground if they did. I'm sure some agree and some disagree with the stance but one thing we should all agree on is that CARD is very methodocal and calculated in these things and I trust they'd considered and weighed all the options.
  • Options

Ok, I've reread & here are 4 counter productive posts. Like I say, we are on the same side aren't we ?

1 Oh, how quaint it is to be a lidl ol Charlton fan.

2 Thank you Goonerhater - at last someone who can look beyond CARD.

And all those people who think its 'not fair' on Burnley or any other team - do me a favour and just eff off and support another team.A bigger load of bollox i have not heard before, and can only come from a Charlton fan- you personally deserve RD for the rest of your supporting life.

3 Sounds promising Neil , do you want me to find out where AFKA lives ? - it seems i'm pretty expert at that recently !

4 It was all going well til the last paragraph.

If you need more help/support just start a new thread and ask for people to PM you. It won't help to criticise others and make public your plans, but you've been advised of this before.

Anyway, I'm only trying to help, so I'll leave it there.

Good luck with whatever you come up with & thanks.
    With (a lot of) respect, wow tbh, is that all you can find ?......

Points 1 and 2a? relate to 'being fair to Burnley' - which i've already explained as being a real dislike of mine.
    Point 2 was a compliment fo Goonerhater
    and 3 was a (bad) Joke to c4fc4lif3 because of my recent ability to 'find' people- it wasnt meant as any threat to AFKA, and AFKA will be the first person to tell you that !

I know i might be over-elaborating about this, but it just seems like you've had to scrape the barrel after all the posts i have made on this thread to find anything even remotely 'bad' about me. Now maybe you understand why c4fc4lif3 and i get quite passionate about this at times when we feel like we are being villified for no real reason when some people just do not seem to want to listen.

However, as you say, i'll leave it there too.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Uboat said:

SDAddick said:

PWR.

You're the lucky one mate. Fucking hell, what a thread.
    Let me sum it up for you:
    'I don't want to fight and we're all in this together, but anyone who doesn't agree with me should fuck off and they deserve Roland. I am CAFC4LIFE, until the end of the season :smile: '
    Welcome to CARD - thanks for your concise, eloquent entry-level application.

What a dick- and there i am being done for 'digging-out' !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

PeterGage said:

Peter - we have stood together before CARD were formed handing out leaflets!

Thanks for taking the piss - many have :smiley: but again i want to be clear I'm not planning anything at the match - I'm helping others as they have asked for advice.

As far as i can see no one has publicly said they plan to do anything. only CARD. so i wouldn't expect anything more than what CARD are doing - perhaps an extension of what CARD has planned? everything i have advised on has been relating to postponement.

Anyway point is you will be let down if you are expecting more :smiley:

I did just think about throwing teabags - powdered milk and some of those pink wafers on the pitch for the tea and blanket brigade. wouldn't want to hurt anyone ;)

I also respect what you do for CARD! YOU ARE CARD! and hundreds of other volunteers! keep it up all of you truly you guys are doing a great job! that's not in question here IMO - it is just the effectiveness i suppose.
    Whether you think it's effective or not, as you say it's the only organised protest planned for the match on Saturday so why don't you (and others) throw your weight behind it and volunteer.

In fact why don't all you in the Belgium20 throw your support behind CARD. Do your own as an extension of that but we all want the same thing. If everyone backed up the actions by other fans then they would be a lot more effective.
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

PeterGage said:

Thanks for taking the piss - many have :smiley: but again i want to be clear I'm not planning anything at the match - I'm helping others as they have asked for advice.

As far as i can see no one has publicly said they plan to do anything. only CARD. so i wouldn't expect anything more than what CARD are doing - perhaps an extension of what CARD has planned? everything i have advised on has been relating to postponement.

I did just think about throwing teabags - powdered milk and some of those pink wafers on the pitch for the tea and blanket brigade. wouldn't want to hurt anyone ;)

I also respect what you do for CARD! YOU ARE CARD! and hundreds of other volunteers! keep it up all of you truly you guys are doing a great job! that's not in question here IMO - it is just the effectiveness i suppose.
    Whether you think it's effective or not, as you say it's the only organised protest planned for the match on Saturday so why don't you (and others) throw your weight behind it and volunteer.

In fact why don't all you in the Belgium20 throw your support behind CARD. Do your own as an extension of that but we all want the same thing. If everyone backed up the actions by other fans then they would be a lot more effective.
    tbh Canters, i'm not sure there is a publicised CARD protest out there? - or am i being stupid?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

I want the game postponed.

Til 3pm would be good when footballs supposed to start

I agree.

Major pain the in the ass the mass 12.30 kick off.

I started to think there was a silver lining somewhere in being relegated, being the very limited sky interference in the scheduling. Then I felt quite depressed when I wrote it down.

But still...

No, it's not worked. Any positives anyone? Please?
  • Options
    I have a round trip of 900 miles if we are being school-girlish about this. And I'll be at the Burnley match.

Protests, bloody hell, to misquote.
  • Options

BTW, both c4fc4lif3 and i have the 'Katrien out' banners - do we bring them this Saturday?

Of course. Every Charlton fan should be bringing something. I have spent the last few hours writing Roland Out in Marker pen on a st Georges flag. I also have a few other things I am bringing to the game Saturday. These are not official CARD protests, just ideas between me and a couple mates. We are still throwing our weight behind CARD on Saturday and will be volunteering as usual. The two are not mutually exclusive.

We want every banner, flag, sign and fan there Saturday to make a statement in from of the sky cameras and show we are going nowhere.

We do not need CARD to tell us to do that.
    Good on ya Canters.
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

PeterGage said:

tbh Canters, i'm not sure there is a publicised CARD protest out there? - or am i being stupid?
    No in fact you are right. Nothing has been released yet. I was working in the assumption that there would be something going on.

I would like to meet you mate (another Surrey fan on here) so if you are up for volunteering I would love to have a pint with you. We usually meet at the Oak before the game and I will be there after as well on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

got a lot of respect for what you have achieved Pres as I do believe you were a driving force in the Belgium protests, however the other geezer is giving it the Bertie big bollox , and wants us to bow at his feet, well sunshine many of us faught for our club 30 years ago and will do it again, but don't need the self adulation, I'm glad you are taking a back seat soon coz you are gettin on my tits.

Cheers Steve.
    I couldnt resist a lol there !
  • Options
    edited May 2016

C4FC4L1f3 said:

PeterGage said:

Jeez, of course it's not publicised, that is the whole point. Don't give the club time to stop it.
    It's really not that difficult and tbh if I was CARD (which I'm not). I'd be reluctant telling you guys the plan, when you want to blab on here in advance.