Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SLP: CARD will NOT seek to get Burnley game abandoned

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:

Bottom line is that nobody but CARD has got the momentum, coverage and majority of support of fans.

I applaud the efforts of all fans trying to make a difference. If somebody appears out of the shadow of CARD and has the levels of organisation, professionalism and overall impact (in whatever form) then we will have achieved incredible things as a fanbase.

This them and us thing and sly digs back and forth about how someone knows something etc is childish and will not get us anywhere. Other than to divide us.

WSS, good post. There are no 'sly digs' at anyone - we're just having a healthy discussion about things we are not quite fully in agreement with - simples.This is the last game of the season - on live tv - we HAVE to get it as close to perfection protest wise as possible, and thats all everyone wants. We all have an immense amount of respect for each other and are willing to listen to other peoples opinions- as long as thats a 2-way thing.
  • Options

Thank you Goonerhater - at last someone who can look beyond CARD.

And all those people who think its 'not fair' on Burnley or any other team - do me a favour and just eff off and support another team.A bigger load of bollox i have not heard before, and can only come from a Charlton fan- you personally deserve RD for the rest of your supporting life.

And What a load of bollox back at you. Who do you think you are coming on here giving it the Bertie big bollox insulting all in your wake?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Curb_It said:

Thank you Goonerhater - at last someone who can look beyond CARD.

And all those people who think its 'not fair' on Burnley or any other team - do me a favour and just eff off and support another team.A bigger load of bollox i have not heard before, and can only come from a Charlton fan- you personally deserve RD for the rest of your supporting life.

And What a load of bollox back at you. Who do you think you are coming on here giving it the Bertie big bollox insulting all in your wake?

Purely my opinion - am i not allowed it ?
    Ok, yeah, its not 'fair' that they are going to the Prem and we are going to L1 - do you think they would give a toss?
  • Options
    For me these protests aren't just against Roland but also against this "fit & proper person" BS the football league have failed to execute in multiple cases.
    The fact CARD wish to act within the realms of the law is perfect and aids our cause but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a vigilante pitch invasion/storming of the directors box to up the ante.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

C4FC4L1f3 said:

There is no debate here! the two main protest groups (sorry if i have missed others) are CARD and the so called Belgian 20.

As i have said anything to be discussed has been discussed! we are not on the same page put that doesn't mean we aren't working together.

They do their thing and we do ours! I think you need both groups to make these protests work, but i do believe the protests the Belgian 20 have done have had more bang for there buck.

I see it a healthy competition!

I also think we should be more public with the erm Public :) Understand the protests should be kept secret. but some of the stuff that has happened in the background should be shouted from the roof tops.

Not everyone agrees but as I'm not a member of any organization i can say what i want ;) i will however only reveal information that is mine to reveal - i.e info that has been entrusted to me with consent to share or things that i have done or been part of.

After this season I'm out anyway so you lot wont need to sit and listen to my bollocks :smiley:

I think the problem (if there is one) is it is only you that sees this as 'competition'

You also think more should be public despite the fact your desire to go public early on things or include all and sundry ruined the potential pitch invasion protest that was quietly gaining momentum behind the scenes (and then led to the arrest and ban of one fan and a lucky escape for @boggzy ), added no value (as far as I can see) to your most recent visit to Belgium other than the pre-alert the authorities which then restricted what you could do and took away any shock factor which created such interest on the first trip, and almost kiboshed your first visit to St Truidan in your desire to spread the word so widely in advance which if not quickly jumped on was about to include club staff.

You clearly have a lot of energy for all this and judging from a distance from your posts (without knowing you) want to be a leader and a huge desire to 'succeed'. Just crack on with it and have a try at keeping all the talking post-event rather in advance. You'll probably garner more chance of taking people with you that way (in my opinion). Though if Pres keeps saying things like wishing Roland on the rest of people's supporting life just because they don't agree with him in abandoning a game, you are going to struggle with that imo !

I'll never knock anyone's efforts, CARD or anyone else, putting in time, money etc to try and rid Charlton of Roland. It's been amazing efforts across the board so far.

But though you are 'out after this Saturday' many many others are not.

None of this public division,'I'm not knocking CARD but I'm going to anyway' is needed, wanted or helpful to anyone.

You have your platform on Sunday to do whatever you want to do and if it's successful and well received, you will get all your plaudits.
    Thanks for the personal attack :) i shall respond to you privately.
  • Options
    CARD are doing a fecking great job --end of.

Seeing the poor sods who did the pitch invasion getting the piss taken out of them on here was total bollox

All this "we must always maintain the moral high ground "is bollox.

RD and his cultists are destroying part of my life -- 50 years of mostly pain---life long mates, family. Don't fucking tell me to be "moral".

When there is nothing left and they have departed will we have a hug on what use to be The Valley but know we were " morally" in the right ?

Rule nothing out
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    AFKA, again , another good post - for my part re RD and 'fair' it is just something that i really (obviously) have an issue with- i cannot ever,ever,ever comprehend why fairness would enter anyone's head in this situation - how can it ??!! to me, it is just unbelievable - after all.... alls 'fair' in love,war and football , surely !
    Shall we just let them win - oh, over to you Claude attitude - and , to me that is a very typical Charlton supporters attitude which drives me crazy !!

Also, i have NEVER suggested an abandonment.I might think it inwardly, but i have listened to the recent poll.
    The swell may mean it could happen anyway, and i would never ever chasten the people who do it - as i believe them to have more determination for change than the Black-and-white Burger at half-time brigade.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

There is no debate here! the two main protest groups (sorry if i have missed others) are CARD and the so called Belgian 20.

As i have said anything to be discussed has been discussed! we are not on the same page put that doesn't mean we aren't working together.

They do their thing and we do ours! I think you need both groups to make these protests work, but i do believe the protests the Belgian 20 have done have had more bang for there buck.

I also think we should be more public with the erm Public :) Understand the protests should be kept secret. but some of the stuff that has happened in the background should be shouted from the roof tops.

Not everyone agrees but as I'm not a member of any organization i can say what i want ;) i will however only reveal information that is mine to reveal - i.e info that has been entrusted to me with consent to share or things that i have done or been part of.

After this season I'm out anyway so you lot wont need to sit and listen to my bollocks :smiley:

I think the problem (if there is one) is it is only you that sees this as 'competition'

You also think more should be public despite the fact your desire to go public early on things or include all and sundry ruined the potential pitch invasion protest that was quietly gaining momentum behind the scenes (and then led to the arrest and ban of one fan and a lucky escape for @boggzy ), added no value (as far as I can see) to your most recent visit to Belgium other than the pre-alert the authorities which then restricted what you could do and took away any shock factor which created such interest on the first trip, and almost kiboshed your first visit to St Truidan in your desire to spread the word so widely in advance which if not quickly jumped on was about to include club staff.

You clearly have a lot of energy for all this and judging from a distance from your posts (without knowing you) want to be a leader and a huge desire to 'succeed'. Just crack on with it and have a try at keeping all the talking post-event rather in advance. You'll probably garner more chance of taking people with you that way (in my opinion). Though if Pres keeps saying things like wishing Roland on the rest of people's supporting life just because they don't agree with him in abandoning a game, you are going to struggle with that imo !

I'll never knock anyone's efforts, CARD or anyone else, putting in time, money etc to try and rid Charlton of Roland. It's been amazing efforts across the board so far.

None of this public division,'I'm not knocking CARD but I'm going to anyway' is needed, wanted or helpful to anyone.

You have your platform on Sunday to do whatever you want to do and if it's successful and well received, you will get all your plaudits.
    It's not a personal attack, or certainly not intended to be one and I'm sorry if you see it as that. We've spoken a hell of a lot privately over the last 4 months, you know my feelings on how I have not been able to comprehend the decisions to go public on things.

Last one on this from me, as I said Earlier, really don't think this stuff helps anyone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Sounds promising Neil , do you want me to find out where AFKA lives ? :) - it seems i'm pretty expert at that recently ! :)
  • Options
    I have read this thread with interest.

As I have said many times before, I fully support the actions of CARD, which have been effective in the sense of achieving positive media coverage (which I believe is so important to the cause); which have been topical, inventive and original. Most importantly, it has been legal and has thus retained the moral high ground. Long may it continue to a point where the owner sells, be that in the short, medium or long term.

Undertaking illegal activities is not my personal "cup of tea", but I would not impose my views on others - each to their own.

I do however look with interest at the forthcoming action from the seemingly perpetrators of the alternative and more "aggressive" stance. Will it be another pitch invasion of two (no if's and but's), or just more talk, or even action to match their grand words. Only time will tell.
  • Options

I was quite concerned that serious disruption would backfire on us. I am glad CARD has taken the right decision.

I was quite concerned that serious disruption would backfire on us. I am glad CARD has taken the right decision.

Is it the right decision though?

How would serious disruption backfire on us as fans? If you are inferring a points deduction I would suggest that having Roland in charge has cost us more than twenty points this season. All the goodwill in the world from other clubs isn't going to shift the bastard. The National press are already getting bored and much of the local press will follow suit after a while. There seems to be an obsession with being nice. Burnley fans will be grateful to us on Saturday and then they will forget about us as their club, that probably has a smaller fan base than ours and a smaller ground, go two divisions above us.

Having Roland and his family (don't forget his son has a penchant for owning clubs ) run us for generations would be the worse thing that could backfire on us.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

As I have said many times before, I fully support the actions of CARD, which have been effective in the sense of achieving positive media coverage (which I believe is so important to the cause); which have been topical, inventive and original. Most importantly, it has been legal and has thus retained the moral high ground. Long may it continue to a point where the owner sells, be that in the short, medium or long term.

Undertaking illegal activities is not my personal "cup of tea", but I would not impose my views on others - each to their own.

I do however look with interest at the forthcoming action from the seemingly perpetrators of the alternative and more "aggressive" stance. Will it be another pitch invasion of two (no if's and but's), or just more talk, or even action to match their grand words. Only time will tell.

It was all going well til the last paragraph.
    Maybe tell us what YOU are doing? Sitting in your armchair , maybe? or going off to the Burger stall with your black-and-white scarf on ?
  • Options

Unless there is a real need for secrecy, it would be nice to know in advance what is being planned so that we can make arrangements.

Why do you need to know, do you really need someone to guide you ? Card have shown the way, do your own thing. There'll be thousands hopefully doing there own thing all in the name of Charlton Athletic
  • Options

I may be being dim, but IMHO a huge part of the "moral high ground" approach that some find distasteful is that a) it shows us as being better than the regime (which is a useful thing in both the British and the Belgian media - the reports of the protests in the Belgian media have been reasonably fair to date, not 100% pro-CARD, but embarrassing for RD), and b) it lessens the chance of matters getting out of hand, which will undermine almost all of the good work done to date in the eyes of the wider public, and make it easier for the regime to hang on.

It really does not take much for a well-intentioned action to turn violent, all you need is one idiot to lose their head, and no club has a support base that is entirely idiot free.

I really hope that any actions being taken at the Burnley game are really carefully thought through and any planning anticipates all likely eventualities.

Personally, for me the CARD campaign to date has been excellent, with a range of activities that cause huge embarrassment to the regime, because they are right out in the public domain and, because they have been peaceful and (mostly entirely) lawful, have proved almost impossible to combat.

I do actually think that the moral high ground is territory that it is worth occupying in this fight. Violence (or even the threat of violence) will not help.

I think one thing we clearly all agree on is that Violence and Abuse is not on anyone's agenda, full stop. And thats one thing i am so proud of as a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Carry on CARD. Brains over brawn all day long. I understand the frustration of those calling for more direct action. We provided it in 1985 but lacked proper organisation, communication and sophistication. There aimply aren't enough active herberts left to mount anything significant. They are all largely banned or well enough known to the authorities that they couldn't get away with it. We all need to pull together. Do what you can in your own way with whomever you can but don't be critical of those trying other things. Whatever anyone does, think it through fully. It may be a much longer struggle than any of us want but we will win in the end and better to do so with no regrets. The harder it is, the sweeter the victory.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mametz said:

Is it the right decision though?

How would serious disruption backfire on us as fans? If you are inferring a points deduction I would suggest that having Roland in charge has cost us more than twenty points this season. All the goodwill in the world from other clubs isn't going to shift the bastard. The National press are already getting bored and much of the local press will follow suit after a while. There seems to be an obsession with being nice. Burnley fans will be grateful to us on Saturday and then they will forget about us as their club, that probably has a smaller fan base than ours and a smaller ground, go two divisions above us.

Having Roland and his family (don't forget his son has a penchant for owning clubs ) run us for generations would be the worse thing that could backfire on us.
    Only time will tell what is the right decision; maybe, I was wrong to say definitively that it is the right decision. At this stage, I believe it is the best decision. I think to damage an exciting Championship top of table final day could lose us a lot of friends in the media, at other clubs and ultimately within our supporter base. Further, it could cause crowd trouble with a large Burnley contingent.

A points deduction or ground closure might not be in our best interests. It's ok saying it damages RD but it might go beyond that. I have a feeling the FA will over react if we spoil the last day and, to a great extent, I can see their point.

To me, going out with a bang this season is not that important. Showing we will be there in force at the start of next season if RD remains is a much tougher challenge for CARD but far more important.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Peter - we have stood together before CARD were formed handing out leaflets!

Thanks for taking the piss - many have :smiley: but again i want to be clear I'm not planning anything at the match - I'm helping others as they have asked for advice.

As far as i can see no one has publicly said they plan to do anything. only CARD. so i wouldn't expect anything more than what CARD are doing - perhaps an extension of what CARD has planned? everything i have advised on has been relating to postponement.

Anyway point is you will be let down if you are expecting more :smiley:

I did just think about throwing teabags - powdered milk and some of those pink wafers on the pitch for the tea and blanket brigade. wouldn't want to hurt anyone ;)

I also respect what you do for CARD! YOU ARE CARD! and hundreds of other volunteers! keep it up all of you truly you guys are doing a great job! that's not in question here IMO - it is just the effectiveness i suppose.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Maybe tell us what YOU are doing? Sitting in your armchair , maybe? or going off to the Burger stall with your black-and-white scarf on ?
    As with most league games (164 mile round journey), I will be fully supporting CARD in what ever way I am needed. In the past, that has been handing out leaflets etc and contributing financially. Actions not words are needed.
    Good on yer. I have a round trip of 224 miles - but lets not compare sizes !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

This :smile: and this :wink: should be banned from this thread, like reading a conversations between bloody schoolgirls sometimes.

:blush:

how about that one?

Or :love:
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

As with most league games (164 mile round journey), I will be fully supporting CARD in what ever way I am needed. In the past, that has been handing out leaflets etc and contributing financially. Actions not words are needed.
    Peter, i've just been informed you are the bloke who dresses as the donkey - i totally respect you for that and apologise if my flippant comment was taken the wrong way - i apologise.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Without being in any way involved (& fair play to those who are) I'm sure that the Belgian protests will be the thing that causes him more grief so I hope the guys can keep it up or some extras can get involved (yes it's easy to say without doing it myself) but we also have to keep the pressure up at matches as well & whatever close season stuff can be arranged. Keep it up on two fronts, eventually we'll win.

There is no further plans for Belgian protests as i understand it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

Without being in any way involved (& fair play to those who are) I'm sure that the Belgian protests will be the thing that causes him more grief so I hope the guys can keep it up or some extras can get involved (yes it's easy to say without doing it myself) but we also have to keep the pressure up at matches as well & whatever close season stuff can be arranged. Keep it up on two fronts, eventually we'll win.

There is no further plans for Belgian protests as i understand it.
    None......currently ! :smile::smiley::wink::neutral: