Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players that have become bankrupt

2»

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Thanks ricky
  • A lot more to come when HMRC get their teeth into the tax dodging scam that many were involved in.
  • edited May 2016
    Not literally "bankrupt", but Kinsella spent all his prem money and had to move home to Dublin and now works as a first-team coach for Drogheda United which I think is only semi-pro.
  • Did Bobby Moore go bankrupt?

Was sure he was involved in some shady deals with some east end gangsters. Think woolston manor near Chigwell which became Epping Forest Country Club ( pool party anyone?)
  • Super Clive must have come close on a fee occasions?
  • Steve Jones?
  • Didn't Brad Friedel go bankrupt a couple of years ago, something to do with his soccer schools in the US.

Yes he did. Also, Didi Hamann either went into bankruptcy or had massive debts due to a gambling addiction. Friedel now does commentary and punditry over here, and he's half decent. It seems to have faded now, but he used to have a lovely part American part Lanc accent.
  • Where is says been declared bankrupt in the UK does that mean that he could have money overseas that is excluded from the UK debts?

I agree that it is difficult to have sympathy for millionaires that 'speculate' to make more money and end up losing the whole lot but in truth they just want to make more money like the rest of us do. Many on here, probably, live like Kings compared to some members of our society - and that doesn't even start to scratch the surface of those in poverty in other parts of the world.

The Tax 'schemes' that many have been caught up in (including, so some degree, Glasgow Rangers) were just too good to turn down. I have been approached by people in the past that have offered me, and my clients, the opportunity to take advantage of the latest scheme, that they promise a top QC has assured is not going to go wrong. Anyone that enters one of those must know that they are risking a lot if it goes wrong - especially when they see what the chap peddling it is going to make from 'helping you out'. Five percent of the fund upfront and one percent a year. What does he care if it is overturned ten years later?

The problem is that I have worked hard to make my money and I don't have very much but footballers, especially at the top of the game, have had everything on a plate for them for most of their lives. They have money, and all the things it can buy, they are adulated by their fans, they are desired by women that will do almost anything for nothing in return, why should they have any doubts that this chap in a smart suit that promises to make them millions would be wrong, or lining his own pockets?

It seems obscene that someone earning £60k a week couldn't put some aside to retire on and be grateful for that but we all aspire to bigger and better things and they have temptations that we can only dream of, and plenty of people willing to help them spend their money.