Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2014/15 vs 2015/16

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Football_League_Championship

It's interesting comparing this season with last season, with a game to go, especially as we're unlikely to gain any more points

Last year we finished with 60 points, and a GD of -6, scoring 54 and conceding 60
This year we currently have 40 points, and a GD of -37, scoring 40 and lettting in 77

That's a horrendous shift, showing we've massively declined BOTH in goals scored and goals conceded.

Incidentally, 40 points last season would have put us in 3rd bottom last season, saving Millwall who were relegated with 41 points!

Blackpool went down with 26 points, with a goal difference of -55 which shows how awful they were, and how much worse they are than us...

Comments

• The collapse of the defence was due to 10 defenders being sold, released or loan out over the summer (Ben Haim, Bikey, Onyewu, Johnson, Gomez, Wilson, Wiggins, Nego, Lennon and Obileye) and only 3 being brought in (Bauer, Sarr and Bergdich (who also plays in midfield)). If you strip out any defence to that degree its asking for trouble.

Luzon then compounded things by being absurdly inflexible tactically even when many of the squad were injured - in my view he should have recalled Lennon and Obileye from their loans by the end of September, played a back 5 and ground out some results.

Because we were under the cosh so much defensively we didn't create too many chances: hence, partly, the drop in goal scoring. Vetokele having a complete loss of form didn't help either.

Fraeye came in and tried to address the situation but wasn't up to the job. We wasted 11-12 games with him as 'interim' manager.

If we draw v Burnley we'll be relegated maybe 7 points from safety - an easily bridgeable gap had Luzon acted earlier and Riga (or someone else at least as competent) been brought in earlier rather than Fraeye's extended run.

It's my fourth relegation to the third tier with Charlton - and as unneccesary as 1972 and 2009.
  • The collapse of the defence was due to 10 defenders being sold, released or loan out over the summer (Ben Haim, Bikey, Onyewu, Johnson, Gomez, Wilson, Wiggins, Nego, Lennon and Obileye) and only 3 being brought in (Bauer, Sarr and Bergdich (who also plays in midfield)). If you strip out any defence to that degree its asking for trouble.

Luzon then compounded things by being absurdly inflexible tactically even when many of the squad were injured - in my view he should have recalled Lennon and Obileye from their loans by the end of September, played a back 5 and ground out some results.

Because we were under the cosh so much defensively we didn't create too many chances: hence, partly, the drop in goal scoring. Vetokele having a complete loss of form didn't help either.

Fraeye came in and tried to address the situation but wasn't up to the job. We wasted 11-12 games with him as 'interim' manager.

If we draw v Burnley we'll be relegated maybe 7 points from safety - an easily bridgeable gap had Luzon acted earlier and Riga (or someone else at least as competent) been brought in earlier rather than Fraeye's extended run.

It's my fourth relegation to the third tier with Charlton - and as unneccesary as 1972 and 2009.

I agree in the main, although 6 of the 10 that left were definitely not up to scratch.

Bikey had gone weird, so you only needed to adequately replace Ben Haim, Gomez and Wiggins.

We didn't. We brought in Bauer and no one else of adequate standard in the defence and started with one decent centre half in the squad and no decent left back. Weird.

Lennon didn't join Gillngham until October 2nd, so couldn't have been recalled in September!

I agree in the main, although 6 of the 10 that left were definitely not up to scratch.

Bikey had gone weird, so you only needed to adequately replace Ben Haim, Gomez and Wiggins.

We didn't. We brought in Bauer and no one else of adequate standard in the defence and started with one decent centre half in the squad and no decent left back. Weird.
    Yeah but they watched a DVD of Naby Sarr. He played for a big Portuguese club, passed the height test, looked big and strong and is young. He must be good enough.
  • If we had Teixeira, Fanni, Motta and Suk-Young at the start of the season we would have had depth in the squad to deal with injuries, especially if we had Harriott and Lennon throughout too
  • edited May 2016

The collapse of the defence was due to 10 defenders being sold, released or loan out over the summer
    (Ben Haim, Bikey, Onyewu, Johnson, Gomez, Wilson, Wiggins, Nego, Lennon and Obileye) and only 3 being brought in (Bauer, Sarr and Bergdich (who also plays in midfield)). If you strip out any defence to that degree its asking for trouble.

Ben Haim, O.K but overrated here. 6/10
    Bikey, Started well then got fatter and fatter 4/10
    Onyewu, Poor 3/10
    Johnson, Did well then, but not good enough really 5/10
    Gomez, Brilliant player, but got injured anyway... 8/10
    Wilson, Good back up for solly, not that different to Motta IMO. 5/10
    Wiggins, Better than fox before THAT injury, about on par since 6/10
    Nego NO IDEA! X/10
    Lennon Wasn't loaned out for long, was still in the club's plans 5/10 rising
    Obileye Wasn't good enough yet but still learning (he's abeast btw.) 4/10 but rising

Bauer 7/10 before injury
    Sarr 3/10 on a bad day, 6/10 on a good one.
    Bergdich as above.
  • The other possible CB was Diarra.

Wasted in that position BUT with Kashi, we didn't need him as a defensive midfielder. Kashi gets injured, and that plan goes down the plughole