Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackburn Rovers

Another basket case of a football club which I will put on a few quid on to get relegated next season.

As of this saturday evening they will have no chairman, no managing director, no chief executive, no manager, debts close to £100m and no more parachute payments.

The managing director quit in February, hours after attending a fans forum meeting (Take note Meire) and communications manager also went in March.

Comments

• Who (apart from Venky's) runs the club then ?
  • edited May 2016
    Shame they weren't a bigger basket club than us this season.
    Next season's Bolton.
  • Who (apart from Venky's) runs the club then ?

No idea. The only one left in a permanent role is the Commercial director. Maybe it's him.

Lambert has had enough as no one can answer his questions. Players out of contract etc
  • Interesting article showing debts of all Championship clubs as at August last year.

Clubs that would presumably be under extreme pressure due to no parachute payments , based on this list, would be Blackburn and Ipswich.

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/national/146216-championship-club-club
  • Does this mean they won't be forking out a couple of million quid for Tony Watt then?
  • Peter_G said:

Does this mean they won't be forking out a couple of million quid for Tony Watt then?

Had forgotten that lol

On the other hand, if Tony Watt could be as consistently good as we believe he could be, and if no-one wants him, he could be quite something at division one level.
  • makes you wonder about the 'Fit and Proper' criteria with all these hopeless owners about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

makes you wonder about the 'Fit and Proper' criteria with all these hopeless owners about.

Not really because the old codgers running the game are not fit and proper to make decision on who is fit and proper.
    Yes, but it extends far beyond the "Fit and Proper Persons Test." Another example, like us, like Bolton, like QPR, etc. of a club who were in the Premier League when the money was very good, and yet managed to rack up millions of pounds of debt.

One thing I think UEFA had a good point about with their FFP was that until deficit spending and debt (though not long term debt in their implementation, which made everything silly) is under control, we are unlikely to attract the type of owners we want. What billionaire out there wants to throw tens of millions of pounds , altruistically, at Blackburn Rovers or Bolton Wanderers? The way things are currently run, football clubs are always going to be most likely to attract investors who either don't know what they're getting in to, or ones with an ulterior motive.
  • Isn't the main problem the completely screwed up finances of football at the moment.

To be competitive in the Championship, and gain the chance of reaching the pot of gold AND international prestige in the premier league, you have to run up losses far greater than a normal local businessman would afford, thus ruling out most traditional local owners with an affinity with the club.

Instead you get super rich foreigners, many of which have to connection to the club at all, and little idea of how to actually run a football club

There was an article on Football Focus yesterday about Bristol Rovers, who are now owned by a Jordanian billionaire
  • #VenkysOut currently trending on Twitter
  • the premier league is fucked now due to the huge amounts involved, seaping down to the championship now when you look at some of the sqaud values in the championship its ridiculous, it will carry on and on, and thats why modern football is a load of shit at times, its great seeing messi and ronaldo in the champs league etc but when you look at clubs and there foreign owners in this country a club like ourselves that is having our heart and soul ripped out of it, its easy to say fuck modern football.
  • I think thats why modern attendances are down... Target20k is a joke anyway here at Charlton but think all the money has turned people away from the game, even if we had the best owners I still reckon our attempts to get 20k fans every week will be futile.

Only way Charlton or Blackburn etc. will get regular big attendances again will be if were back in the Premier League and those fans wont be there to see our club etc. they'll be there to see the big names!!
  • Sad but true. Younger generations are bought up with as much footy as they want on TV, more things competing for their time and generally a shorter attention span/patience as everything is at the tip of their fingers which makes them ever keener to support successful teams. No criticism of them, just the way the world is going.

With TV money effectively likely to make the PL a closed shop within 5 years it would not surprise me in the slightest if relegation was stopped. Seems little point if the same relegated teams go straight back up each and every year and this is happening. People still talk of the Championship as a division where everyone beats everyone and how difficult it is to get out of. This season saw 2 relegated teams bounce straight back and the third team to go up was the one that spent the most which somewhat disproves the theory.
  • Is another reason why our owners should concentrate on keeping fans rather than increasing the fans they dont have.

At the moment they're losing fathers with their two kids (a typical example) and that may only be three people now but when those kids grow up and have kids themselves it'll be potentially three generations of Addicks (which leaves Charlton with seven fans).

Thats only one family... Just imagine how many others there are at the Valley!!
  • edited June 2016

Is another reason why our owners should concentrate on keeping fans rather than increasing the fans they dont have.

At the moment they're losing fathers with their two kids (a typical example) and that may only be three people now but when those kids grow up and have kids themselves it'll be potentially three generations of Addicks (which leaves Charlton with seven fans).

Thats only one family... Just imagine how many others there are at the Valley!!

the thing is with losing fans is its not just ticket revenue its

2/3 x charlton shirts, when i was a kid id have the home for birthday and usually the away for xmas.

refreshments at the game, pint for dad, a soft drink for both kids.

2 programmes one for each of the kids.

but then what do we know were just customers.

• With TV money effectively likely to make the PL a closed shop within 5 years it would not surprise me in the slightest if relegation was stopped. Seems little point if the same relegated teams go straight back up each and every year and this is happening.

I doubt relegation would be stopped, because in reality it would render the majority of games meaningless.

Approximately 12 teams start the season with the aim of avoiding relegation and the most successful of these usually end up about 8th.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    We have all witnessed the events of recent years, where teams have been relegated but have turned their clubs around and emerged stronger, and we are determined to see Blackburn Rovers do the same.
    I doubt the fans will be so confident...
  • I'm still trying to work out which teams that have been relegated and have turned their clubs around and emerged stronger.

Southampton?
  • Addickted said:

I'm still trying to work out which teams that have been relegated and have turned their clubs around and emerged stronger.

Southampton?

Norwich
    Man City
    Charlton
  • edited May 2017
    Addickted said:

I'm still trying to work out which teams that have been relegated and have turned their clubs around and emerged stronger.

Southampton?

Nowrich, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday being relegated to the third division. I'd probably also include Leicester in that. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that since they were relegated to the third division there is an argument that they are stronger than the side that was relegated. There are a few others that have come down from the Premier League and have gone back up and not looked quite so perilous afterwards. I think both Bolton and Sheff Utd will emerge much stronger next season too, although I appreciate that Sheff Utd were down for a long time.

It gives the club the opportunity, in reality it forces it, to make the kind of restructuring changes that are necessary to 'move on'.

In reality though there is a much bigger risk of the club falling further than coming back stronger than ever. I don't mind Blackburn, but I also don't care if they don't come back. Evolution insures that the divisions change over time and clubs like Stoke, who spent four seasons in the third division at the start of the century, never finishing above 5th, are now established in the Premier League. For every Stoke there needs to be a Blackburn that falls out of the top flight and stays away for in excess of a decade - like we've done.
  • edited May 2017
    Another basket case of a football club which I will put on a few quid on to get relegated next season.

Well...... How much did you win? @shirty5

• edited May 2017

Addickted said:

Southampton?

Norwich
    Man City
    Charlton
    Norwich I can possibly accept, but they've hardly been more than a yo yo club since leaving League 1. Citeh are only where they are because of the vast amounts of money thrown at them.

Charlton? Stronger than what or whom? The only London teams worse than us are Orient with owners worse than ours and AFC who have achieved miracles since being reformed.

The others mentioned like Forest, Leeds and the Massives are all Championship Clubs who hover about between the relegation spots and the play offs, year after year.
  • Addickted said:

Southampton?

Norwich
    Man City
    Charlton
    I'm not sure it was relegation to L1 which made Man City stronger, more reversion to the mean. They would always end up back in the PL, especially being provided with a really nice new stadium.

For us, it was the new owners (and Powell) who made us stronger. The Pardew/Parky relegation season could easily have been avoided when you consider how long Blackburn struggled on in the Championship before relegation

Norwich have managed to jump around the divisions in quite a "steady" way really, so financial meltdowns or administration, no mass exodus of players, they've never really needed to rip the team up and start again. Ruddy for example had 2 promotions to the PL and 2 relegations in 7 years.
  • Leicester!
  • Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Southampton?

Norwich
    Man City
    Charlton
    Norwich I can possibly accept, but they've hardly been more than a yo yo club since leaving League 1. Citeh are only where they are because of the vast amounts of money thrown at them.

Charlton? Stronger than what or whom? The only London teams worse than us are Orient with owners worse than ours and AFC who have achieved miracles since being reformed.

The others mentioned like Forest, Leeds and the Massives are all Championship Clubs who hover about between the relegation spots and the play offs, year after year.
    Charlton definitely returned to the Championship stronger in 2012/13 than when we were relegated, we were also a much better team on our return to the Premier League in 1999/2000 than on our relegation the season before.
  • Addickted said:

Southampton?

Nowrich, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday being relegated to the third division. I'd probably also include Leicester in that. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that since they were relegated to the third division there is an argument that they are stronger than the side that was relegated. There are a few others that have come down from the Premier League and have gone back up and not looked quite so perilous afterwards. I think both Bolton and Sheff Utd will emerge much stronger next season too, although I appreciate that Sheff Utd were down for a long time.

It gives the club the opportunity, in reality it forces it, to make the kind of restructuring changes that are necessary to 'move on'.

In reality though there is a much bigger risk of the club falling further than coming back stronger than ever. I don't mind Blackburn, but I also don't care if they don't come back. Evolution insures that the divisions change over time and clubs like Stoke, who spent four seasons in the third division at the start of the century, never finishing above 5th, are now established in the Premier League. For every Stoke there needs to be a Blackburn that falls out of the top flight and stays away for in excess of a decade - like we've done.
    That's it, Katrien will chalk that up as part of the Cloob's Corporate Social Responsibility activities...