Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Today's burning topic: Your thoughts on Ingerland

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
I know there are a few guys here that follow England home and away, but i really don't understand why you do it for anything other than a justification of a booze up.

I said it before the game last week, i just can't relate to this bunch. I don't know whether its jealousy of the money they earn, the cringeable D-list celebrity status that they hold, or the fact that we are effectively a second-tier world class team. But other than Gerrard and Terry, there are no players i really want to do well.

The last world cup was the first time i dropped my irrational hatred of the Germans and the French and genuinely enjoyed watching them playing top drawer football. Of course i want England to win every game, but watching them huff and puff every game whilst thinking they are the best in the world does my head in. You want to jump through the telly and scream at them that they are nothing special.

Am i being too harsh ? As i stressed on friday, this is a completely seperate issue to being 'proud to be English'.

Comments

• Right, i make you correct all the way Afka. They are all jumped up mugs earning too much cash.

I have abandoned this team, and get my kicks watching Englands Cricket team.

So, in brief, Charlton first, (only just mind) then England Cricket second.
  • Count yourself lucky you're not Irish.*irrational hatred of the Germans*- AFKA, there was this big tear-up just over 60 years ago called World War 2, you may off heard of it. As for the French, pompous tw*ts.
  • I think I'll get closer to the team when I start going again. Have not bothered with the England 'On Tour' thing round the grounds, waiting for them to return to Wembley. Always used to go to the old wembley. Will then have to join that ridiculously overpriced membership scheme just to watch some 'Home' games. It's no different to watching Charlton really, you may see more of the game on TV, but you are not part of the experience unless you are actually there.
  • I'm just glad the McClaren bubble has burst..... was getting very fed up with the media bigging him up over his first few games.......

If Downing can get in that squad, let alone first 11, then I'm dusting my boots off and getting the dubbin out
  • edited October 2006
    [cite] Oracle:[/cite]Count yourself lucky you're not Irish.*irrational hatred of the Germans*- AFKA, there was this big tear-up just over 60 years ago called World War 2, you may off heard of it. As for the French, pompous tw*ts.

Are you for real? Looks like this board has got its first wind up merchant.
  • England are full of big club players, how else can you explain the constant selection of Heskey when he was a Liverpool player only for him to be dropped as soon as he transferred to Birmingham, for Heskey read Crouch now another worthy player who just doesn't have it at international level. What did it for me was SGE's abject tactics, treating friendlies with disdain and then taking Theo Walcott to the WC finals when he hadn't kicked a ball in ager in six months let alone in the EPL while leaving Bent, Defoe and Johnson at home.
  • i'm glad i was drunk!
  • @ HH: No, he's for real!!!
  • edited October 2006
    I have to agree that I don't really relate to the England team at all these days - in fact I hardly ever bother to watch them on TV. I used to go to a few matches years ago but I wouldn't even consider it nowadays.

The bland Sven era seems to have turned into the bland Sven Mark Two era without all the off field shenanigans - so far anyway! Not sure McClaren has got that in him. The Man U connection seems to hold sway too and I feel has a lot to do with Beckham's exclusion and the fielding of the likes of Richardson and the attempted recall of Scholes as well as the return of Phil Neville when it was stated that Beckham represented the old era and it was time to look to the future. Fat chance when Uncle Alex is about!

Money aside there is no doubt that a lot of the squad think they are far better than they are and often talk about having world class players in the squad when you know they are actually referring to themselves. How many genuine world class players are there in the England squad? In fact, widen the issue - how many genuine world class players of all nations took part in the world cup this year. I don't think there are that many around at all! Some stand out but most are good international players but not really genuine world class.
  • The French ... pompous tw*ts!!!!!

By jove ....
  • Sponsored links:

• I think teh fiver hit the nail on the head last night "Second-Choice Steve and his Hapless England Autobiography-Writing All-Stars"

It's the difference between following and supporting for me. My day is ruined if Charlton lose, if England lose no great bother... It makes it international weekends a lot less stressful.