Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jose Riga

124»

Comments

• Options
    Nice guy, best of all the network rubbish we've had - so far - but that tells its own story and ultimately not good enough. Which, let's face it, is why he was free to come back again.

Laters Jose. Not as bad as Dowie, but ultimately still shit.
  • Options

He hasn't really set the world alight here, but to be honest, there is no possibility of doing that under the current set up. I hope for better even now, and I simply don't think Riga can do the inverse of avoiding relegation, and propelling us to promotion - it doesn't seem to fit his DNA.
    Chris Wilder? Done a great job at Northampton, why the hell would he want to work with a couple of footballing morons like KM and RD? They have apparently just noticed we need someone to replace Phil Chappel!! Fingers on the pulse boys and girls.

But then our budget and facilities will be light years ahead of what Northampton have. I can't imagine they have much of a scouting network either
  • Options
    We should go for a highly respected Premiership manager, someone like that Palace bloke with the big nose.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

They are interested in Chris Wilder but I can't see Chris Wilder being interested in us. I would not be surprised to see Simon Clark as Head Coach.

The very same fella who told me at Colchester that he thought Fraeye would turn it around.....
  • Options
    The best of a bad bunch, which is not tough and a good politician who knows the right things to say to the fans but we deserve better and if we want to avoid our first ever season in the fourth tier we need better.

New owner, new proper manager please, got to cut them off from every penny and force them all out this summer to save our club.
  • Options
    Simon Clark is an excellent coach.
  • Options

To put things in perspective:
    When Chris Powell was appointed manager in Jan 2011, we were in the top half of League One. He went on to win 4 out of the final 15 games, failing to win any of the last 11 games. Remember, this was in League One, not the Championship. We stuck with Chris, allowed him to build his own team, and the rest is history.
    In contrast, Jose walked into a disaster zone in a higher League. He has won 5 out of 18, a similar achievement to Powell's first season, but in far worse circumstances.
    People cut Powell some slack, fair enough, he was a club legend. However, Riga is being cut very little slack despite keeping us up only 2 seasons ago.

Argubly he is more "network" than Fraeye because he is a stooge that comes back for more. Who comes back four times to the same boss that keeps cutting you loose? He's either desperate, an idiot, or both. He knows that he will have minimal say in transfers, players will be sold from under him and he will be blamed for these transfer failings when it all goes wrong. What is he doing? This isn't just me hating him personally though, any puppet that comes in under this lot will get no respect from me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    edited May 2016

When Chris Powell was appointed manager in Jan 2011, we were in the top half of League One. He went on to win 4 out of the final 15 games, failing to win any of the last 11 games. Remember, this was in League One, not the Championship. We stuck with Chris, allowed him to build his own team, and the rest is history.
    In contrast, Jose walked into a disaster zone in a higher League. He has won 5 out of 18, a similar achievement to Powell's first season, but in far worse circumstances.
    People cut Powell some slack, fair enough, he was a club legend. However, Riga is being cut very little slack despite keeping us up only 2 seasons ago.

Argubly he is more "network" than Fraeye because he is a stooge that comes back for more. Who comes back four times to the same boss that keeps cutting you loose? He's either desperate, an idiot, or both. He knows that he will have minimal say in transfers, players will be sold from under him and he will be blamed for these transfer failings when it all goes wrong. What is he doing? This isn't just me hating him personally though, any puppet that comes in under this lot will get no respect from me.
    I'd happily keep going back to someone who pays me for 18 months when I only work four. Roland is the gift that keeps giving, just ask Carol, welegation Wodger, Peter Parsley and numerous others. For someone so tight, Roland seems to love throwing money down the drain. Far from being a stooge, I think Riga is far more shrewd than Roland and having entered management fairly late in life, he would be a fool to turn down opportunities to manage teams like Charlton, Standard Liege or Blackpool. In football management you can't be too choosey, as Curbs has discovered.
    Must have been quite awkward for Karel when Louis Mendez asked him if he would take the job on permanently, to which replied he would be crazy not to jump at the chance already knowing the job was his.
  • Options
    I have a strong feeling Simon Clark will be our manger next season.

Cheap, English, respected by the players.

It fits RD's model if he is apparently looking for a British based management team.
  • Options

This
  • Options
    I thought it was all sorted many months back and Marc Willmotts is the man..................surely that wasn't a lie.........
  • Options

We're Charlton Athletic. We can do better than Jose bloody Riga.

I agree with you we can do better than Jose Riga, just not whilst the current shower are in charge. There's no evidence that Duchatelet has any more skilled operatives on his friends list and frankly, until he goes, nothing else matters very much. All the time that the featherbrained freeholder is here, the club will still be run into the ground no matter who holds the nominal title of 'coach'.

I have a strong feeling Simon Clark will be our manger next season.

Cheap, English, respected by the players.

It fits RD's model if he is apparently looking for a British based management team.

I think the key word in your argument there is 'if'. What evidence have we seen that he would be looking for a British management team? As for "British based", whoever it is will be British based. They'll just be British based Belgians, or British based Network Drones that's all.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

He hasn't really set the world alight here, but to be honest, there is no possibility of doing that under the current set up. I hope for better even now, and I simply don't think Riga can do the inverse of avoiding relegation, and propelling us to promotion - it doesn't seem to fit his DNA.
    Chris Wilder? Done a great job at Northampton, why the hell would he want to work with a couple of footballing morons like KM and RD? They have apparently just noticed we need someone to replace Phil Chappel!! Fingers on the pulse boys and girls.

But then our budget and facilities will be light years ahead of what Northampton have. I can't imagine they have much of a scouting network either
    Given the amount of crap Wilder had to put up with at the start of the season when Northampton were in administration and he was publicly demanding the club accept offers for the club, I can't see him wanting to spend more time at a club in turmoil
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Powell?! :wink:
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    mogodon said:

If we could cast our minds back to 2014 and pretend Roland never existed (please God) and we were mid table in the Championship, if Chris Powell had left then of his own volition how many of us would have been happy to Jose Riga as his replacement? That a fair number are OK now speaks volumes about how our expectations have sunk under this owner, and that Riga is seen a good option is largely down to the utter dross inflicted on us between his first and second spells as manager. Nice guy, agreed, but not good enough for Charlton (other than under Roland)

Of course you are 100% correct. But, this isn't the same as back then. If we could pick from any manager out there Riga would not be very high up in any list. The problem is, we are now run by Duchatelet and as we have seen over the last two and half years, he doesn't do things properly. If we know that by ditching Riga we will get someone in who knows and has experience of what needs to be done next season, I'd say bye bye Jose. But, do we really believe it's likely we'll end up with someone like that?

Right now we need some level of stability. We are going to see a mass exodus of players in the summer and a whole bunch of new faces will be coming in. Ideally we would have an experienced coach/manager coming in too, but as I said, it's unlikely. The next best thing in my opinion is to keep Riga who already knows the club, understands how difficult English football can be, and already has the respect of many of the players and fans. I don't believe Riga to be the stooge than some fans here seem to believe. I do think that he is trying to do his best in difficult circumstances and sometimes he may have to throw a bone to the regime, but so would ANY manager that was employed by this lot.

We could do a lot better than Jose, but I also think we could do a hell of a lot worse. Our recent history of managerial appointments is proof of that.
  • Options
    After the latest post about Chris Wilder will Jose Riga be in the Dug Out tomorrow. Or has he left already